Sponsored

"I", am an ANALOG man, trapped in a DIGITAL age.............Uconnect and navigation?

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2021, Gladiator, Rubicon, Snazzberry, MANY others
Occupation
retired
Hmm, well, I've not done this myself, but I have seen a lot of posters here use something like this to "tap" into that 12v connection:

12 Volt Power Adapter for 1999-2018 Jeep Wrangler JK JKU TJ Unlimited & for 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT : Electronics (amazon.com)

If you're comfortable doing some minor disassembly, it's a pretty easy install. You just plug that in between the source wire and the brake controller that they'll be putting in. Then, assuming you can find a cable that can connect to this adapter (not the cigarette lighter), your Garmin should be good to go.

Is the end of the cable that goes into your Garmin just a small round connector, about 1/4" or so in diameter?
Howdy Lucas,

I found an adapter on amazon that has a male usb plug ( goes into Jeep ) and a female receptacle that the Garmin power cord will plug into. I have just ordered that item, so with any kind of luck I will have all my problems solved in short order. Thanks to everyone on this forum I'll geterdone.

Dave
Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Howdy Lucas,

I found an adapter on amazon that has a male usb plug ( goes into Jeep ) and a female receptacle that the Garmin power cord will plug into. I have just ordered that item, so with any kind of luck I will have all my problems solved in short order. Thanks to everyone on this forum I'll geterdone.

Dave
Great to hear - hope it all works out for you. Post us an update once you get it all together!

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Garmin USB cable: I hope the one you ordered works for you!

Just in case: There used to be a “quirk” with Colorado power cables. Something where using a USB cable made it think it was connected to a computer, so it went into some mode. There was a cable that worked, either directly from Garmin or one with a resistor in it (can’t recall). They probably fixed it by now, but just a “heads up”..

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Hey Dave,
The Term Uconnect is just what the Unit is called in my opinion. There are Live services that are a subscription.
We have an android and we downloaded Android Auto App onto our phone. Needs to be plugged into usb in our case.

They explain it well I think. Should be the same with Iphone

Because “U” connect to it, haha

JTwantMe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Comanche Pioneer, 02Liberty Limited
Howdy All,

Sorry for the long post, if you manage to read the whole thing any help you can give will most appreciated, THANK YOU.

"I", am a self confessed computer and all things electronic IDIOT. I am way to darn dumb to have a cell phone but I carry one. Having just bought the Gladiator, I am bewildered by all the electronics, I have used Garmin GPS units for over 25 years but really don't have a clue on how to use whatever it is this new Jeep has for navigation.

I read the owners manual, it talks about "Uconnect" but to "ME" it has no meaning. I plugged my iPhone, into one of the usb ports and pushed the "APP" button on the 7 inch screen, one of the icons displayed looked like the google maps icon on my phone so I pushed that icon on the 7 inch screen and what looked like google maps came up and worked much better then it does on my phone.

Anyway finally to my question, from what I can gather this Uconnect thing is a TRIAL and it will have to be paid for if you want to keep it, WHEN the Uconnect trial ends, do I lose navigation on the 7 inch screen even if I have my IPhone, plugged into a usb port?

What really frosts my nether regions is that to have the factory trailer brake controller installed it replaces the 12 volt power outlet that I had planed to use to power my Garmin GPS. I can't find a power cable that will plug into the Garmin Montana base that plugs into a usb port as power source. So if I don't subscribe to Uconnect, it looks like I am going to be without a navigational aid until I can figure out how to get power to my Garmin.

This old dog is trying hard to learn new tricks but right now I am swamped with information overload.

Dave
I am an old guy also, there is a video of installing the mopar brake controller in a JT, anyway he removes the cig lighter and unplugs the wires and leaves it in. It looks like the brake controller has its own wire pigtail, you could plug the 12V lighter back in then the Garmin and leave it behind that panel.
Just a thought!

Sponsored

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
I am an old guy also, there is a video of installing the mopar brake controller in a JT, anyway he removes the cig lighter and unplugs the wires and leaves it in. It looks like the brake controller has its own wire pigtail, you could plug the 12V lighter back in then the Garmin and leave it behind that panel.
Just a thought!
Howdy Joe,

Thanks for your post and that information. I will ask when they do the install to show me where that wiring is and how to access it.

Dave

JTwantMe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Comanche Pioneer, 02Liberty Limited
Howdy Joe,

Thanks for your post and that information. I will ask when they do the install to show me where that wiring is and how to access it.

Dave
It is the lighter(12V) wire looks like a blue plug.

OP
OP
mr. cob

mr. cob

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
mr-cob.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired
Howdy All,

Today, thanks to you folks was a good day. I did a lot of reading, watched some videos and learned a lot. I can now use Spotify, Tunein, onXOffroad, and other apps on the 7 inch screen. It's going to take a while but I am gettin there. THANKS.

Dave

PlayfulBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT 2020 Rubicon Gobi
Howdy All,

Today, thanks to you folks was a good day. I did a lot of reading, watched some videos and learned a lot. I can now use Spotify, Tunein, onXOffroad, and other apps on the 7 inch screen. It's going to take a while but I am gettin there. THANKS.

Dave
Awesome ✌
Sponsored