Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends on what kind of trailer you are towing. My OGT trailer goes anywhere my JT will go. The only limitation it applies to me is turn radius, and a lot of times that can be overcome with good 3 and 5 point turns. lol

GrandmaGoesCamping-27-1024x682.jpg

GrandmaGoesCamping-28.jpg

ASP1S-0760.jpg

ASP1S-0820.jpg
Sponsored

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2013 JKUR, 2008 JKU Sahara (sold)
It all depends on what kind of trailer you are towing. My OGT trailer goes anywhere my JT will go. The only limitation it applies to me is turn radius, and a lot of times that can be overcome with good 3 and 5 point turns. lol

Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon ASP1S-0820

Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon ASP1S-0820

That's awesome-great setup!! Im sure that would surprise a lot of people re where it can go. But you are right...due to turning radius nobody in a gladiator or 4 door is towing that down a road like Black Bear Pass.

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
That's awesome-great setup!! Im sure that would surprise a lot of people re where it can go. But you are right...due to turning radius nobody in a gladiator or 4 door is towing that down a road like Black Bear Pass.
No one is towing anything down Black Bear Pass. Those first two photos are from about a 3rd of the way up Imogene Pass from Ouray though.

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one is towing anything down Black Bear Pass. Those first two photos are from about a 3rd of the way up Imogene Pass from Ouray though.
I was wondering if someone ever tried towing a really small trailer with a 2 dr jeep down Black Bear Road. At the really tight switchbacks they could unhitch the trailer and swing it around and re-hitch. I'm not close to saying I would ever do it but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried it.

Your rig pulling that trailer up Ouray is really impressive (and stunning pics). Some questions if you don't mind. What's your JT's tires/lift setup? Did you regear? Is your trailer the largest you've seen up on Imogene Pass? Do you know what your payload and loaded trailer weight was? Do you feel the JT is capable of pulling something heavier up there?

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering if someone ever tried towing a really small trailer with a 2 dr jeep down Black Bear Road. At the really tight switchbacks they could unhitch the trailer and swing it around and re-hitch. I'm not close to saying I would ever do it but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried it.

Your rig pulling that trailer up Ouray is really impressive (and stunning pics). Some questions if you don't mind. What's your JT's tires/lift setup? Did you regear? Is your trailer the largest you've seen up on Imogene Pass? Do you know what your payload and loaded trailer weight was? Do you feel the JT is capable of pulling something heavier up there?
A tiny trailer might be okay, but I feel anyone doing that would probably get gang beat by everyone else on the trail that day. lol.

The only "offroad" mods I've done to the JTR are 35x12.5 tires. No lift or re-gearing here. My trailer is the only one I've seen up on Imogene, but I would not want to take anything larger up it. There were some tight spots for even my setup.

If I had to take a wag, my payload was probably about 400-500 pounds and my trailer loaded up is right around 3500lbs. Our campsite was just below 11,000 feet and the JT was feeling it. Even in 4Lo, there were times that I was wondering if the JT was going to make it. I actually backed down a switchback because I was concerned about that. The turn was steeper than the trail before or after the turn and it was really rocky. I was afraid that if two of the six tires dropped down into a hole, the JT would not have enough power to pull out of it. That meant I had to use one of my backup campsites, but it was the prudent thing to do.

On a related note, I felt the JT by its self was lacking power above 12,000 feet. I don't feel the need to re-gear on 35s down at my normal 6k-7k feet, but up there it would have really helped.

Sponsored

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A tiny trailer might be okay, but I feel anyone doing that would probably get gang beat by everyone else on the trail that day. lol.

The only "offroad" mods I've done to the JTR are 35x12.5 tires. No lift or re-gearing here. My trailer is the only one I've seen up on Imogene, but I would not want to take anything larger up it. There were some tight spots for even my setup.

If I had to take a wag, my payload was probably about 400-500 pounds and my trailer loaded up is right around 3500lbs. Our campsite was just below 11,000 feet and the JT was feeling it. Even in 4Lo, there were times that I was wondering if the JT was going to make it. I actually backed down a switchback because I was concerned about that. The turn was steeper than the trail before or after the turn and it was really rocky. I was afraid that if two of the six tires dropped down into a hole, the JT would not have enough power to pull out of it. That meant I had to use one of my backup campsites, but it was the prudent thing to do.

On a related note, I felt the JT by its self was lacking power above 12,000 feet. I don't feel the need to re-gear on 35s down at my normal 6k-7k feet, but up there it would have really helped.
That is great information - thank you!. As I mentioned above, I towed a T@G XL boondock with my '13 JKUR up S. Colony 4x4 road in CO. My JK has 35s and a 2.5in lift and stock 4.10 gears. my guess is the trailer was around 2750lbs loaded and my payload in the jeep was no more than 500lbs. The start of the 4x4 road is about 8900ft if I remember correctly and in 2.5miles it climbs to just under 10,000ft. It's a very rocky trail so I had to go really slow but I was surprised at how well the JK did pulling that weight since the JK pulling the same setup REALLY struggled climbing the paved roads to Golden Gate Canyon State Park. Obviously there's a big difference going 5mph vs trying to go 40mph. I felt the JK could easily do more weight on that trail and that trail only has a few tight turns where a bigger trailer might be tough to squeeze through. It was a really fun experiment for me but my kids didn't understand why we towed it up there!

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
The JT pulls the big paved passes here in CO with this trailer and can maintain 50-55mph without working too hard. My '12 JKUR on 37s with 5.13s could bearly keep 35mph on those same passes with this trailer. All in all, I think the JT does a much better job towing it. Just at those extreme altitudes it suffers just like other naturally aspirated trucks.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR 6MT, '55 Manx Clone Bug
Build Thread
Link
Well, trying a new answer to this whole glamping thing. Just rolled it out of the shop as a proof of concept before I start going at it and cleaning it up.

i had the RTT to my truck, but it wasn’t what I ideally wanted (GoFast, AluCab, etc) and a lot of my camping was just weekend getaways, so most of the camping and bug out gear I keep everyday in the truck was plenty, and for sleeping, I have a Cot-tent which is as quick, convenient and comfortable to sleep in as the RTT and sits above ground.
But on road trips and such, I needed a lot more food and water and power and such, and hauling that filled my truck bed, and was annoying to set up and tear down when you wanted to do a little day drive. So having all the kit and parts lying around, I figured I’d give this a go.

Primarily it’s to be used as a base camp. Just tall enough to not be an issue getting up the trailhead and easy to unhitch and leave it set up at a campsite to claim it. And it’s not something O have to feel too precious about as its at most a couple grand of things I’ve pieced together. As I could not again do something big and extravagant to take through trails when I can make do with a leaner pack just out of my truck.

Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon 4E039171-A3A8-4F08-98F1-98FDA36387A9
Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon 3D61FCC6-6173-4524-A526-AD58E8A2C991
Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon 1E807820-66BA-46F7-923E-8C7B4B5A3D59

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
Well, trying a new answer to this whole glamping thing. Just rolled it out of the shop as a proof of concept before I start going at it and cleaning it up.

i had the RTT to my truck, but it wasn’t what I ideally wanted (GoFast, AluCab, etc) and a lot of my camping was just weekend getaways, so most of the camping and bug out gear I keep everyday in the truck was plenty, and for sleeping, I have a Cot-tent which is as quick, convenient and comfortable to sleep in as the RTT and sits above ground.
But on road trips and such, I needed a lot more food and water and power and such, and hauling that filled my truck bed, and was annoying to set up and tear down when you wanted to do a little day drive. So having all the kit and parts lying around, I figured I’d give this a go.

Primarily it’s to be used as a base camp. Just tall enough to not be an issue getting up the trailhead and easy to unhitch and leave it set up at a campsite to claim it. And it’s not something O have to feel too precious about as its at most a couple grand of things I’ve pieced together. As I could not again do something big and extravagant to take through trails when I can make do with a leaner pack just out of my truck.

Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon 1E807820-66BA-46F7-923E-8C7B4B5A3D59
IMOP that is a great adventure trailer. I am with most here though and do not want to tow anything on a difficult trail. Set up a base camp and then explore.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
IMOP that is a great adventure trailer. I am with most here though and do not want to tow anything on a difficult trail. Set up a base camp and then explore.
my buds all have Truck Campers. And I joined them with a dually, but that was too big, and my toys too small. And a bunch of others have various trailers from Opus to Winneebago, but they all were annoying and just ruined the point of getting out as it was hours of setup and take down. So nobody unhitched or left camp. Just sitting around like old people, trucks left unused :(

So to hell with that! I’ll take a cold shower and dig a hole for a 💩. I’m gonna get to some cool places and spend money on the rig that gets me there instead of the toys it drags, and practice that whole zen thing of doing with less clutter and enjoy nature.

Last year I went to Jeep Mecca and totally changed my game up in what I liked and how I needed to get there.

Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon AD4587C7-07BF-4A64-894A-864715E9C962
Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon 611F1F28-CA23-4B49-99CE-BAA2FEB99765

Sponsored

Muddzy

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my buds all have Truck Campers. And I joined them with a dually, but that was too big, and my toys too small. And a bunch of others have various trailers from Opus to Winneebago, but they all were annoying and just ruined the point of getting out as it was hours of setup and take down. So nobody unhitched or left camp. Just sitting around like old people, trucks left unused :(

So to hell with that! I’ll take a cold shower and dig a hole for a 💩. I’m gonna get to some cool places and spend money on the rig that gets me there instead of the toys it drags, and practice that whole zen thing of doing with less clutter and enjoy nature.

Last year I went to Jeep Mecca and totally changed my game up in what I liked and how I needed to get there.

Jeep Gladiator I Don’t Like Campers Trip Journal: Tonto National Forest Trip With Gladiator, ZR2, Canyon 611F1F28-CA23-4B49-99CE-BAA2FEB99765
Each must find the path that is right for them. Often, that path changes, and that is part of the journey.

Beautiful pictures!!! It sounds to me like the trailers/truck campers weren't the problem. You and your buds just enjoy different things.

Rubi_Rhod

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Each must find the path that is right for them. Often, that path changes, and that is part of the journey.

Beautiful pictures!!! It sounds to me like the trailers/truck campers weren't the problem. You and your buds just enjoy different things.
Thanks! And oh for sure. It’s definitely about whats good for you. Took a lot of time and checking other builds and such to understand some options. My buddieswill do a week in the sand dunes. Trailering 4 quads in an enclosed trailer, dogs and provisions for their family.

So definitely there is a fit for everyone. And they are super handy for cocktails. A fresh mottled mint julip? Yeah. Proper glamping. Ha ha

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I agree with the sentiment of many of the other guys that a real off road camper would have been a different result. NoBO is a reputable product but a small lift and AT tires doesn’t make you an off road rig. The real rigs have the tanks tucked up in the frame and rock sides on the corners.
I agree. We found out what happens when you take a NoBo off the main forest roads to explore a little. While not ideal, I can see people getting into the same situation we did and end up on terrain the camper wasn't designed for.

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think the only way I’d rather go the camper route is if I had small children. Like baby, early toddler small. Other than that, utility trailer all day. It just seems like less of a hassle.

Hell even a RTT, baby wipes, propane, and a stove will do for me lol.
When my kids were younger my family went to Colorado and the four of us slept in my 2-person RTT ontop of my JK. The kids had a blast and so far the trip is still our family favorite.

In the past, I considered a utility trailer just for the fact it would always be loaded and ready to go. At the time I didn't have the space to store it so I nixed that idea.

(Yes, I made a video about my Colorado trip-)

OP
OP
Berserker

Berserker

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Its the Opus Air off road that I picked up for about 23 with fridge, shower, heater and toilet to meet all the criteria that my wife had.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.opuscamper.us/off-road/?amp

The 2 best thing are that everything i need for camping is loaded and ready to go and second, after I flip the lids open, I press a button and it airs up like my own personal bouncy house while I hold a cold one and watch it.
It was not the 35 to 50K that some of the other ones are or a std pop-up with springs and bigger tires that were also going for 19K either.

Can also add 800 lbs to the rack if needed.

Dang, that thing is sweet. Two of my buddies are looking to buy one right now. Another friend of mine, the owner of Adventure Motors in Lee's Summit, MO, is a local dealer for those campers. He swears by them and he and his "crew" take them to some crazy places in Ozark National Forest. They're stout and light.
Sponsored