Sponsored

I finally figured out how to remove the rear headrest

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
I cannot figure out why on a vehicle that has the capability to remove the doors, roof, and windshield in minutes, something as simple as removing a headrest has to be so complicated. If you've ever tried to put in a front facing child seat in, you'll know how annoying it is. Anyway, the wife and I finally figured out how to get the darn thing off. Made a short video in case anyone else is struggling with it. Honestly, it's a good idea to remove the pins even if you don't need to because it'll then allow you to just pull the headrest out whenever you want ... Here's the very short video:

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
Lol wtf? Good on you for disecting your seats like that, but I think I'll just leave mine angled forward. I don't have children and have good enough LoS out the back to where I don't need to do anything like this. Good video btw, informational and not annoying.

matter76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Gator Green, 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Where were you two days ago when I was installing a leather upholstery kit?! It really is a stupid design. The fronts operate as you would expect - two tabs where one enables height adjustment and the other allows pulling the entire head rest out.

Weird part is I can see plenty of reasons why someone would want to remove the headrest from the rear, but not from the front seats!

You're not wrong though, this is the only way the headrests come out. I was actually able to remove them without the cardboard backing being removed by pinching the bottom tabs of the plastic sleeve the metal headrest posts slide into. This allows you to remove the entire plastic sleeve and headrest as one and then later remove the pins. This however busted the plastic tabs enough that they no longer locked back in place, so I don't recommend it. I recycled the metal pins as a way to help hold the plastic sleeves down instead and now I have the accidental benefit of being able to remove the headrests whenever I want now.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
i hate the rear anchors the most. When you need to take one back out it sucks to try to unclip one

Sponsored

OP
OP
trez63

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Launch Edition, 2018 Acura NSX, 2016 Range Rover Sport SVR, 2018 Land Rover Discovery, 2017 Kawasaki Z900
Same results but a simplified technique (seen it in another thread on this forum but can't find it).

This methods is easily 10x better than my method. I wish I had seen this first.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
This methods is easily 10x better than my method. I wish I had seen this first.
Unfortunately you're not the first one to miss out on this short simple video. Others on YouTube are dissembling the rear seat but not enough people are promoting this simplified method.

48to49

First Name
Frank Miller
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
RN
Glad I found the video on removing the clips from the front. Still a PITA but easier than disassembling the seat. And one of those things that makes one ask, "Really?!" Can't they just use the same hardware for the removable headrests they use on the front seats?

JTRDistraction

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Utility Substation Electrician
Haha. That made me think of one of my favorite movies. And thanks for the info.

IMG_20221227_160247.jpg

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Cherokee, Ram 2500 Hemi,
Occupation
Retired
Lol wtf? Good on you for disecting your seats like that, but I think I'll just leave mine angled forward. I don't have children and have good enough LoS out the back to where I don't need to do anything like this. Good video btw, informational and not annoying.
I should be picking my new one up here next week and I'm taking the back seats out entirely and building a flat base for the dog bed...
Sponsored