First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Diesel Rubi Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I hope to have a diesel rubi by the end of the year.
My question to all you diesel gladiator owners is about idling.
If I go to sonic and its 100+ degrees out, is it ok to idle the diesel while running the a/c to stay comfortable?

And then the same question bit longer idle time?
In my current 3.6 gas jk, Ill idle the jeep for several hours at a time while out on week long fishing trips, 60 miles from the nearest paved road. It has never caused a problem in the gas jeep but am now wondering about the diesel engine.

PS. I used to idle my 2006 Dodge 2500 p/u (pre dpf, ect) over night if it was cold without worry, but it did have a high idle feature on it.

Thanks for y'alls input.

Tim
Sponsored

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
No issues so far. I did have a time where I was idling up at Windrock and had a message pop up. I was leaving anyway and maintained about 1800-2000rpm until I hit paved road. The regen message went way.

Just put quality DEF in when you add. Make sure you have highway trips blended in every now and then that last 20-40 miles.

Any time you work the engine or come off the highway, be sure to allow the engine to idle several minutes before turning it off. This will prevent oil from cooking in the turbo

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
I hope to have a diesel rubi by the end of the year.
My question to all you diesel gladiator owners is about idling.
If I go to sonic and its 100+ degrees out, is it ok to idle the diesel while running the a/c to stay comfortable?

And then the same question bit longer idle time?
In my current 3.6 gas jk, Ill idle the jeep for several hours at a time while out on week long fishing trips, 60 miles from the nearest paved road. It has never caused a problem in the gas jeep but am now wondering about the diesel engine.

PS. I used to idle my 2006 Dodge 2500 p/u (pre dpf, ect) over night if it was cold without worry, but it did have a high idle feature on it.

Thanks for y'alls input.

Tim
Extended Idling Of a modern diesel engine is never a good idea. If you see yourself idling the engine for hours at a time you definitely should get a gas engine. Modern diesels need to be run long enough to get the whole exhaust system up to operating temperature in order to operate effectively and do passive regens. Yes you can do it occasionally but it is not something to do on a regular basis.

Like you I’ve had diesel engines for many years and fondly remember the days before 2007 when all the junk was mandated. These modern diesels are a finicky breed and the reason I went with gas.

LCF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
What’s the DEF stuff you guys speak of ..????? All my 17+ powerstrokes were bought in “Mexico” and seem to run 1000000% better without it…..and “other” nuisance parts…..

And just heard that GDP got hit….

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Diesels now adays have a problem called "wet stacking".

What is the wet stacking problem in diesel engines?

When a diesel engine is operated on light loads, it will not attain its correct operating temperature. When the diesel engine runs below its designed operating temperature for extended periods, unburned fuel is exhausted and noticed as wetness in the exhaust system, hence the phrase “wet stacking.”

How do you know if you have wet stacking?

Wet stacking is detectable by the presence of a black ooze around the exhaust manifold, piping and turbocharger, if fitted. It can be mistaken for lubricating oil in some cases, but it consists of the "heavy ends" of the diesel fuel which do not burn when combustion temperature is too low.

Sponsored

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
I idle at length all of the time, hasn't been an issue as of yet. I checked for any signs of wet stacking nothing is visible so far. I have an infant son who likes to take naps in the truck, seems to be the most comfortable place for him. So I am always arriving at the store, waiting idling 20-30 mins waiting for him to wake up. Happens on the way home as well, I'm often idling in the driveway for 45 mins while he naps as he fell asleep on the short ride home.

I've never had any regen issues, nor even seen a regen light. I do tend to get the truck up to temperature often and enjoy cleaning it getting on the freeway, ect.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
Extended Idling Of a modern diesel engine is never a good idea. If you see yourself idling the engine for hours at a time you definitely should get a gas engine. Modern diesels need to be run long enough to get the whole exhaust system up to operating temperature in order to operate effectively and do passive regens. Yes you can do it occasionally but it is not something to do on a regular basis.

Like you I’ve had diesel engines for many years and fondly remember the days before 2007 when all the junk was mandated. These modern diesels are a finicky breed and the reason I went with gas.
I agree ,on big trucks it builds up soot but they do have a force regen button.
Sponsored