Sponsored

Ignition coil upgrade...anyone have experience with this?

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
This interests me...a consistent increase in mpg would indicate a more complete burn allowing fuel trim to lean out...

Any more details on how the data was collected?

UPDATE!
I had the coil on number 6 fail at the beging of January. I returned the entire set and went back to the factory coils. Mileage has gone down again. And idles rougher than with the RIPP coils. But I can't chance the failures in my daily driver.
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
UPDATE!
I had the coil on number 6 fail at the beging of January. I returned the entire set and went back to the factory coils. Mileage has gone down again. And idles rougher than with the RIPP coils. But I can't chance the failures in my daily driver.
What did Ripp say? And did you leave their plugs in? Or also go back to stock?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE!
Shame. I wonder if it is a QA issue with certain sets.

BigRed97

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
What did Ripp say? And did you leave their plugs in? Or also go back to stock?
I wasn't running their plugs. They were never recommend to me by RIPP

They offered to exchange the one bad could but, like I said I couldn't chance future failure.They processed my return quickly without issue

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I wasn't running their plugs. They were never recommend to me by RIPP

They offered to exchange the one bad could but, like I said I couldn't chance future failure.They processed my return quickly without issue
Makes me wonder if the issue would happen if you had their plugs...or really any upgraded plugs. A cursory googling shows me that there is a difference between OEM plugs and performance plugs. Though the performance plugs wear out faster..they seem to be built to handle the increased power. perhaps that may be the crux of where some folks are seeing their failure issues.

Sponsored

ciro

First Name
ciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator overland
Occupation
education
Ok. New to this site.

I installed a set of coils (no plugs. guys said plugs are good in the new JTs). and now my JT has a hard time shifting from 4-5-6 and it won't shift to 7 or 8 unless I do it manually. once I do that, if I return it to fully automatic it shifts back to 7. anybody else that has had this issue?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. New to this site.

I installed a set of coils (no plugs. guys said plugs are good in the new JTs). and now my JT has a hard time shifting from 4-5-6 and it won't shift to 7 or 8 unless I do it manually. once I do that, if I return it to fully automatic it shifts back to 7. anybody else that has had this issue?
Which coils? Have you used a scanner (like jscan) to track for miss-fires or other irregularities?

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
I love the idea of these, but there are so many threads on different forums talking about how people had one or two of them fail and are pissed. Im really hoping to see a comparable offering from MSD or another reputable brand but havent been able to find any.

ciro

First Name
ciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator overland
Occupation
education
Which coils? Have you used a scanner (like jscan) to track for miss-fires or other irregularities?

I have not seen the dash flash. Ad, the Jt actually drives nice. smooth. Its just that it won't shift past 6th.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I have not seen the dash flash. Ad, the Jt actually drives nice. smooth. Its just that it won't shift past 6th.
Did you change anything else? Seems odd that it wont shift past 6th after just new packs being installed

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thing how there's a lot of talk about "feels better" and so on - but no one can prove any difference. There's been no before and after dyno, and MPG - unless it's tracked over time, accurately with an app, and once the engine is well past being worn in (more than 10K on the odo) it's all "I think" or "I believe" or "it's better mpg" without any direct comparison, taking weather into account (fuel changes summer vs winter, air temp, etc.)
A spark plug will fire at whatever it's going to fire at regardless of the coil. If it takes 30,000 volts to fire the plug, even with a 200KV coil the plug will fire at 30,000 volts. If it takes 20,000 volts, it's going to fire at 20,000 volts no matter what coil is there.
The only difference can be the "energy" stored - duration of spark. And that you can see on a scope.
So if you aren't getting a spark of longer duration, the coil can't matter. Voltage isn't duration.

ShastaJT6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willy`s JT
Funny thing how there's a lot of talk about "feels better" and so on - but no one can prove any difference. There's been no before and after dyno, and MPG - unless it's tracked over time, accurately with an app, and once the engine is well past being worn in (more than 10K on the odo) it's all "I think" or "I believe" or "it's better mpg" without any direct comparison, taking weather into account (fuel changes summer vs winter, air temp, etc.)
A spark plug will fire at whatever it's going to fire at regardless of the coil. If it takes 30,000 volts to fire the plug, even with a 200KV coil the plug will fire at 30,000 volts. If it takes 20,000 volts, it's going to fire at 20,000 volts no matter what coil is there.
The only difference can be the "energy" stored - duration of spark. And that you can see on a scope.
So if you aren't getting a spark of longer duration, the coil can't matter. Voltage isn't duration.
Im pretty sure ShadowsPapa is legally recognized as the wise grandpa of every forum member here at this point.

Interesting points for sure. I think im going to look at what plugs are actually in my JT from the factory and swap them with some NGK Iridiums.. see if that helps calm the idle a little, leave the coils alone for now..

ciro

First Name
ciro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator overland
Occupation
education
When I spoke to the rep at RIPP he told me the poem spark plugs were enough and putting aftermarket ones would not change the performance of the JT with the coils. IM doing my commute back, which is another 86 miles so hopefully the JT gets into the groove. if not, I will remove the coils and send them back.
Sponsored