First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Is the JT a good plow vehicle? I always thought the JL 2door was good for its size and maneuverability (like a highway legal side by side for smaller jobs) and had kinda assumed the JT with its longer wheelbase but sub 1/2 ton frame etc. was not a good compromise? I suppose "run whatcha brung" is important here. Just wondering. In my daydreaming at the office I drive a plow in the winder and excavating stuff in the summer. šŸ˜

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
Man does this bring back great memories! Love the set up for the JT, makes me want one!

Hereā€™s FULL DISCLOSURE of my two winter seasons plowing. 1994 Dodge Ram diesel, 1500, auto 4x4, western plow.

At this time 1995, lived in Surrey, BC. Experiencing snow was rare but when it does, the city shuts down. People abandon theyā€™re cars to walk. I remember on the AlexFraser bridge the cars lined the sides of the inclining sections of the bridge as they couldnā€™t get up the grade! Snow removal is considered EMERGENCY Service. I had hooked up with a landscape and snow removal company in early Fall as an ā€œowner operatorā€ truck/plow unit. I was given a number of parking lots to scrape and was told, ā€œas soon as the snow is 3 centimetres, start clearingā€. Thatā€™s just over 1 inch!!

That year in 1995 it snowed 1.5 days. I made $4000 CAD in 1.5 days! That worked out to $300/hour for owner operator. If I had a snow blower to clear off sidewalks in front of businesses, it paid $90/hour, owner operator.

The Western blade cost $4000 cad and was paid for in 1.5 days work.

The next year I packed up the wife and 2 babies and moved to Kimberly, BC. My brother-in-law lives there and owned a backhoe. The time I arrived there the regular old timer that plowed all the parking lots for the schools and motels for many years retired and the whole town was open to contract. Snow removal is not an emergency service so the rate dropped from $300/hour to $60/hour. However, it snows A LOT! I was constantly pushing. There were two snow events that year went back to back and the brother-in-law and I pushed 40 hours straight. Almost killed us physically but we were young and invincible. We had a blast. I didnā€™t continue with it, life took turns I had to navigate and other opportunities opened up, but those were two great seasons!

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Business owner/Vibration Analyst
I hope its as good as my old LJ

Jeep Gladiator Installed Installed Snowex LT7200 Plow IMG_9529

Jeep Gladiator Installed Installed Snowex LT7200 Plow IMG_9529
Just started the install of my Impact setup. Got the truck mount installed and working on the harnesses today.

Where did you poke through the front end with your hookup plugs (plow & Light)?

Sponsored

Snow Army

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep lj half cab / 2021 jeep jt
Occupation
Snow removal
Just started the install of my Impact setup. Got the truck mount installed and working on the harnesses today.

Where did you poke through the front end with your hookup plugs (plow & Light)?
I had to drop the windshield and take off the side cap. There's a small opening on the passenger side that goes inside the cab. I'm not happy with it but there really isn't anywhere else that I have found. It's really tight that's the one thing the one ton trucks have on these jeeps.. lots of space to run wires.

Snow Army

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Snow removal
Man does this bring back great memories! Love the set up for the JT, makes me want one!

Hereā€™s FULL DISCLOSURE of my two winter seasons plowing. 1994 Dodge Ram diesel, 1500, auto 4x4, western plow.

At this time 1995, lived in Surrey, BC. Experiencing snow was rare but when it does, the city shuts down. People abandon theyā€™re cars to walk. I remember on the AlexFraser bridge the cars lined the sides of the inclining sections of the bridge as they couldnā€™t get up the grade! Snow removal is considered EMERGENCY Service. I had hooked up with a landscape and snow removal company in early Fall as an ā€œowner operatorā€ truck/plow unit. I was given a number of parking lots to scrape and was told, ā€œas soon as the snow is 3 centimetres, start clearingā€. Thatā€™s just over 1 inch!!

That year in 1995 it snowed 1.5 days. I made $4000 CAD in 1.5 days! That worked out to $300/hour for owner operator. If I had a snow blower to clear off sidewalks in front of businesses, it paid $90/hour, owner operator.

The Western blade cost $4000 cad and was paid for in 1.5 days work.

The next year I packed up the wife and 2 babies and moved to Kimberly, BC. My brother-in-law lives there and owned a backhoe. The time I arrived there the regular old timer that plowed all the parking lots for the schools and motels for many years retired and the whole town was open to contract. Snow removal is not an emergency service so the rate dropped from $300/hour to $60/hour. However, it snows A LOT! I was constantly pushing. There were two snow events that year went back to back and the brother-in-law and I pushed 40 hours straight. Almost killed us physically but we were young and invincible. We had a blast. I didnā€™t continue with it, life took turns I had to navigate and other opportunities opened up, but those were two great seasons!
I have been plowing now for 15 years in Calgary and I can tell you there are a lot of those hours that I'm still putting in. I just did one 3 days ago. I have plowed with skid steers, one tons and now jeeps and I have found that the jeeps are a great rig to plow with. So much that I sold the Superduty in the spring and up graded into the gladiator. (Or down gated I'm not sure) I finally got to use it today and it's as good as my LJ. The one tons have there place for sure but the acreages and small business is were I plow the most. The skid steers are good to they just take to long to load and unload. But the only down side to all of this is your body. Mine is getting pretty beat up doing it. Back mostly. I think about slowing down but.... making money sometimes can be fun.

OurJTOverland

First Name
TPM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC 2500, 2003 H-D FLH 2020 Kia Telluride
Occupation
Plumber

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had to drop the windshield and take off the side cap. There's a small opening on the passenger side that goes inside the cab. I'm not happy with it but there really isn't anywhere else that I have found. It's really tight that's the one thing the one ton trucks have on these jeeps.. lots of space to run wires.

Oh, man. Wasn't expecting that answer!! How about out by the grille? Did you just route the plow/light plug under, or go through the grille?

Snow Army

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Snow removal
Oh, man. Wasn't expecting that answer!! How about out by the grille? Did you just route the plow/light plug under, or go through the grille?
I'm pretty sure I went under the grill I will try and take some pictures
It's not pretty.. keep in mind that some of those wires are for the rear plow

20211208_112316.jpg

20211208_112328.jpg

20211208_112354.jpg

20211208_112400.jpg

20211208_112416.jpg

20211208_112424.jpg

Sponsored

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer

20211208_112316.jpg

20211208_112328.jpg

20211208_112354.jpg

20211208_112400.jpg

20211208_112416.jpg

20211208_112424.jpg
You and I have a lot to discuss when we meet up! Wiring is my specialty with all my strobes and itā€™s obviously yours too! Look forward to it!

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Jeep Gladiator Installed Installed Snowex LT7200 Plow 20211208_112424

That is a lot of wiring! I wasn't able to start that portion yet, kinda wanted to see what you had done. So thanks for all the pics!

My previous JK I had installed a Snow Dogg. Pretty easy and way less wiring. The main problem was the wires were just barely long enough. If I hit a good enough snowdrift, I might knock the plugs apart. Finally had to rig up a clamp to hold thing together while I was hooked up.

Any issues splicing into the headlamp wires, etc? Any tips or tricks you learned?

Snow Army

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Snow removal
That is a lot of wiring! I wasn't able to start that portion yet, kinda wanted to see what you had done. So thanks for all the pics!

My previous JK I had installed a Snow Dogg. Pretty easy and way less wiring. The main problem was the wires were just barely long enough. If I hit a good enough snowdrift, I might knock the plugs apart. Finally had to rig up a clamp to hold thing together while I was hooked up.

Any issues splicing into the headlamp wires, etc? Any tips or tricks you learned?
I just had to splice the turn signals the rest is plug and play. It really isn't as bad as it looks I've done 3 now and I know what your going through. I got overwhelmed on this one as well until I got into it. The hardest part is running the lines.

BalancedPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I just had to splice the turn signals the rest is plug and play. It really isn't as bad as it looks I've done 3 now and I know what your going through. I got overwhelmed on this one as well until I got into it. The hardest part is running the lines.
Thanks for the assurance! Going to have to pull the trigger soon, I know that white stuff is coming!!

Jawjadawg

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk, 21 Gladiator Mojave
Cool thanks for the share, interested to see how it works out. I have an old F150 and put a K2 plow on it and it hasn't worked out so well. I live in the mountains with a long gravel driveway
Sponsored