Sponsored

Installed the oem brake controller

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Still trying to figure out where the "easier to install" part comes in on the after-market controllers. I've done both and there's about the same work involved with any of them in the end.
Main difference I see is that the MOPAR version doesn't allow a small drilled hole to mount the knob, but if you were using the 12v outlet position, then installation is a wash for either type.
Well, looking at the various threads here, and youtube vids (here, for example), they certainly SEEM easier, especially compared to your own install description in comment #5 here.

I guess I could never figure out why it should integrate. The most you'd get would be the setting you were at - and can see that at a glance, or if the thing is working - again, you can see that at a glance.
So I guess I am left wondering - what's the gain by having it display in the cluster since it's right there to see? Am I missing something? What's gained? Functionality?
We have Ford Super Dutys at work, and some of my trucks pull a trailer 5 days a week. Not only is the gain displayed in the cluster, but all the various other settings of a more advanced controller can also be easily and intuitively adjusted from the steering wheel. Much more importantly, the display also notifies the driver the trailer is connected properly, if any of the trailer lights or wiring has failed (and which one. Example "Left trailer brake light is out"), or if the connector has become unplugged. And yes, integration also means manually activating the trailer brakes lights truck and trailer brake lights.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Most of it the issues with installs early on were due to the instructions being very wrong, including their images.
Once it was figured out that there's no need, and in fact it's better to not rotate the controller on the mounting plate, it becomes a lot easier.
So if I were doing it today, ignoring the instructions, and having the ABS flashed with the new revision, it would be a wash.
If someone were to bring a JT to me with the MOPAR controller, I'm betting I could install it in the same time it takes to install the REDARC controller.
With the after-market you still have to choose a mounting place (and some drill and cut trim to do that).

Like many things - things have changed with time. We now know the original instructions were wrong. And we now know how easily they CAN be installed.
Most here installed them a bit later and did it pretty quickly. Only the first few had real frustrations.

So in short - today - it would indeed be a wash.

Much more importantly, the display also notifies the driver the trailer is connected properly, if any of the trailer lights or wiring has failed (and which one. Example "Left trailer brake light is out"), or if the connector has become unplugged. And yes, integration also means manually activating the trailer brakes lights truck and trailer brake lights.
As far as integration - what you mentioned in what I quoted has nothing to do with the brake controller. Indicators for the lights working or not, etc. - that's part of the truck, not the brake controller.
IMO it really goes back to this truck not being sold primarily as a tow vehicle, they positioned it to compete in the market with other mid-size trucks. So they had to give that ability.
Can't possibly compare it to a RAM or Ford Super-Duty truck which are aimed at hauling and towing. Totally different class of trucks so I can't see the comparison as fair at all.
Not to any full-size trucks of any make.

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most of it the issues with installs early on were due to the instructions being very wrong, including their images.
Once it was figured out that there's no need, and in fact it's better to not rotate the controller on the mounting plate, it becomes a lot easier.
So if I were doing it today, ignoring the instructions, and having the ABS flashed with the new revision, it would be a wash.
If someone were to bring a JT to me with the MOPAR controller, I'm betting I could install it in the same time it takes to install the REDARC controller.
With the after-market you still have to choose a mounting place (and some drill and cut trim to do that).

Like many things - things have changed with time. We now know the original instructions were wrong. And we now know how easily they CAN be installed.
Most here installed them a bit later and did it pretty quickly. Only the first few had real frustrations.

So in short - today - it would indeed be a wash.

As far as integration - what you mentioned in what I quoted has nothing to do with the brake controller. Indicators for the lights working or not, etc. - that's part of the truck, not the brake controller.
IMO it really goes back to this truck not being sold primarily as a tow vehicle, they positioned it to compete in the market with other mid-size trucks. So they had to give that ability.
Can't possibly compare it to a RAM or Ford Super-Duty truck which are aimed at hauling and towing. Totally different class of trucks so I can't see the comparison as fair at all.
Not to any full-size trucks of any make.
Fair enough. Though since I don't have any work trucks with aftermarket controllers, IDK that those trailer lighting and wiring checks are in place without the OEM controller. I might beg to differ a tiny bit with the max tow package though. I mean, that's aimed squarely at hauling and towing, and in that regard compares quite favorably to my Ram. Actually, it exceeds the Ram in both payload and towing capacity.

Now personally, I don't especially care much about all the fancy electronics, and I'm fine with just a dial for the controller. I'm just surprised that it wasn't integrated like most other oem brake controllers.

Jeep Gladiator Installed the oem brake controller 1622348649417

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough. Though since I don't have any work trucks with aftermarket controllers, IDK that those trailer lighting and wiring checks are in place without the OEM controller. I might beg to differ a tiny bit with the max tow package though. I mean, that's aimed squarely at hauling and towing, and in that regard compares quite favorably to my Ram. Actually, it exceeds the Ram in both payload and towing capacity.

Now personally, I don't especially care much about all the fancy electronics, and I'm fine with just a dial for the controller. I'm just surprised that it wasn't integrated like most other oem brake controllers.

Jeep Gladiator Installed the oem brake controller 1622348649417
I think in the end we're on the same page, just not instantly squaring it in forum posts.

I can see the integration bit about the controller not happening as a standard feature. I can't see it not being an OPTION at least on max tow.
Why I say I can see it NOT being standard equipment on any level of JT is because it won't comply with CA laws.
There's no way they could put those in as a standard item and sell them in CA.
They could put it in as an OPTION but make it not available in the state of California.

CA has some other laws that impact Jeep people related to backup lights and so on.

So people who hate those red reflectors on the back of their JT and remove them - best not be in CA...........

b) Backup lamps shall be so directed as to project a white light
illuminating the highway to the rear of the vehicle for a distance
not to exceed 75 feet. A backup lamp may project incidental red,
amber, or white light through reflectors or lenses that are adjacent
or close to, or a part of, the lamp assembly.

(a) Every vehicle shall be equipped with at least one reflector so
maintained as to be plainly visible at night from all distances
within 350 to 100 feet from the vehicle when directly in front of the
lawful upper headlamp beams.
(b) Every vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a low-speed vehicle,
manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1965, shall
be equipped with at least two reflectors
meeting the visibility
requirements of subdivision (a)

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea, forum posts are not the same as a spoken conversation, and I often don't help because tend to be pretty direct. Especially since despite the fact I've been using computers long enough to have entered info via punch cards (google it, kids!) in my college computer science class, I'm just a fast hunt and pecker typist and hate to waste words.

If they simply integrated the controller (at virtually zero additional manufacturing cost, everything is probably already there), it could solve the CA (and probably many other places) manual brake light issue with a line or 2 of code in the computer. Something along the lines of "if signal to trailer connector pin 2 = YES then brake lights ON" would solve the issue.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, forum posts are not the same as a spoken conversation, and I often don't help because tend to be pretty direct. Especially since despite the fact I've been using computers long enough to have entered info via punch cards (google it, kids!) in my college computer science class, I'm just a fast hunt and pecker typist and hate to waste words.

If they simply integrated the controller (at virtually zero additional manufacturing cost, everything is probably already there), it could solve the CA (and probably many other places) manual brake light issue with a line or 2 of code in the computer. Something along the lines of "if signal to trailer connector pin 2 = YES then brake lights ON" would solve the issue.
I figured a relay and diode could also resolve it - sense power on the trailer brake line, supply power to trailer brake lights. Originally it would have taken a diode to prevent feedback into the truck's brake light circuit but the issues with 3rd party controllers feeding back into the ABS brake light circuit being resolved by ignore code took care of that LOL
So they've already taken care of that little possible hiccup.
But FCA could resolve it more easily with code, again, since they are now ignoring any brake lamp circuit signal when the pedal is not depressed.
Originally the ABS was detecting brake lamp signal from the controller on the truck's brake light circuit and it was freaking out because it knew the pedal wasn't being depressed and it didn't like the signal on the truck's brake light circuit in that case. Their resolution - ignore brake lamp line signal if pedal not depressed. Gee, why didn't someone think of that sooner? HA.

In my case posts are abrupt and "curt" at times because of severe ADHD (off the charts) and no social filter. I think it, I say it.
Sort of like Jessica Rabbit - how did she say it - "I'm not bad, they just draw me that way" or something like that.
Sponsored