Sponsored

Is this how my ball joints are supposed to look?

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Rubi Sarge Green; '08 JK
Occupation
Military
'21 JTR bone stock.

Trying to track down an annoying graunching noise when I go over tiny bumps (like expansion joints) but not over larger bumps.

Under the truck and going over bushings etc. and the upper ball joints just don't look quite right to me. Almost like they're not seated. Both are identical. Lowers look "normal". On the uppers it almost looks like the joint isn't pressed into the knuckle fully - should that "flange" be seated down on the knuckle? And then where the stud of the ball joint passes through the top part of the knuckle, there seems to be a.small gap that looks like the BJ could be drawn in further. Forgive me, I'm used to older stuff. Maybe this is how "new" ball joints look?
16429530785707636202063959885616.jpg

16429531308681087704420378505564.jpg

Hopefully those pictures work. Thanks!
Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Does it lift up and down within the socket?

You can pull that cotter pin out and try torqueing it. I think it's 70lbs but you can find the specs online.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
to test loose ball joints, jack the wheel to test up about a 1" off the ground. go get a large pry bar, stick it under the tire, and pry up to apply upward force into the wheel, place one hand on wheel feeling for clunk, load pry bar unload pry bar feeling for clunk. also sit down facing the wheel and give it some hardy tugs to feel for clunks.

A clunk would indicate bad ball joints or bad wheel bearing, the clunk can be pretty minimal but will be obvious with a sharp feel.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
to test loose ball joints, jack the wheel to test up about a 1" off the ground. go get a large pry bar, stick it under the tire, and pry up to apply upward force into the wheel, place one hand on wheel feeling for clunk, load pry bar unload pry bar feeling for clunk. also sit down facing the wheel and give it some hardy tugs to feel for clunks.

A clunk would indicate bad ball joints or bad wheel bearing, the clunk can be pretty minimal but will be obvious with a sharp feel.
I think he's more referring to the gap between the washer and the knuckle vs it being bad internally.

Sponsored

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are the same, so it's probably normal. The gap at the bottom (where the nut is) looks like there is some sort of spacer, it is wider than the top shaft. That might be what is holding the washer away from the knuckle.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Mine are the same, so it's probably normal. The gap at the bottom (where the nut is) looks like there is some sort of spacer, it is wider than the top shaft. That might be what is holding the washer away from the knuckle.
Ok thanks. I assumed since both mine were the same and I have no drivability issues other than the noise, it was fine but I just wanted to check. Thank you!

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
If you have the tools… personally I would check them. I have seen posts and YouTube videos on this subject… honestly if you made the post… sounds like you have a doubt.

OP
OP

Darel

First Name
Darel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
If you have the tools… personally I would check them. I have seen posts and YouTube videos on this subject… honestly if you made the post… sounds like you have a doubt.
Not really. I've done dozens of sets of BJs and just never had them look like this. The noise I have is definitely not a balljoint noise, this is just something I happened to notice while I was under there scrounging around.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Not really. I've done dozens of sets of BJs and just never had them look like this. The noise I have is definitely not a balljoint noise, this is just something I happened to notice while I was under there scrounging around.
This is what I was referring too but hey if you say it’s fine it’s fine right???

Sponsored

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Isn't the point of this thread he is concerned about his ball joints, if so check them or keep your head in in sand. But if you are going stick your head in the sand why ask?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
This is about lowers, but hey, this is a thread about ball joints.........

Attachments

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is what I was referring too but hey if you say it’s fine it’s fine right???

At 2:08 in that video his upper ball joint seems to look exactly like what the OP's does after guy said he torqued things down.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Might have to tighten the castle nut. They become lose over time. It solved my issues with a squeaking.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Might have to tighten the castle nut. They become lose over time. It solved my issues with a squeaking.
Jeep is the only vehicle I've ever seen where the ball joints and tie rod ends are ever an issue with the nuts or fitment into the steering knuckles and so on. Every other vehicle I've had "hands-on" time with uses a tapered joint that once it's torqued in place it ain't EVER coming loose, even over 50 years time and 200,000 miles. In fact with any other vehicle, you have to beat the crap out of things to get those parts to come loose or use a special tool.
There's no excuse for a design that allows parts like tie rods to simply pop out or ball joints to "get loose". That's pretty sad.
Sponsored