Sponsored

Issue starting with doors off

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
So I am having a weird issue or two. I was recently at the beach for the weekend. I took the doors and top off for the entire time and had no issues until the morning I was leaving. I went to leave and my battery was dead. I assumed I must have left something on over night and got a budy to jump me.

fast forward a few weeks and on a nice day I took my doors and top off to go for a joy ride. Right after removing the doors the jeep would not start. It exhibited signs of a dead battery again. Upon pressing the start button you hear a click or two and it sounds like it wants to turn over but never does. I jumped the battery and was back on the road. I drove almost an hour non stop. When I next went to start the same issue happened. I then got jump and was back on the road.

Today I decided to take just my doors off and right after doing so it would not start again. I jumped it and it started. Upon starting the autostop warning light is now coming on. Doors are still off and it is starting fine at this point. I have driven it 4 or 5 times today and that warning light comes on every time and stays on until I turn off the jeep.

Anyone have any issues like this? Could the autostop and battery issue be related?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If it's still in warranty, take it to the dealer and have both batteries tested. This is a common issue when one or both batteries start to fail. The problems get worse, and usually occur sooner, if it is not driven enough to keep the batteries charged. The life expectancy of the AGM batteries in these trucks is about three years, under good conditions.

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
I had the exact issue you are experiencing. After many attempts to figure it out at the dealership, there was a faulty harness (the pins inside the plug) on my driver's door. And when I'd take the doors off, it would drain my battery. Harness was replaced and the problem was solved.

OP
OP

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
If it's still in warranty, take it to the dealer and have both batteries tested. This is a common issue when one or both batteries start to fail. The problems get worse, and usually occur sooner, if it is not driven enough to keep the batteries charged. The life expectancy of the AGM batteries in these trucks is about three years, under good conditions.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it's not in warranty any longer. It's a daily driver with 40k miles in two years so it definitely gets driven often. I guess I will go to the local auto parts store to test the batteries.

OP
OP

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I had the exact issue you are experiencing. After many attempts to figure it out at the dealership, there was a faulty harness (the pins inside the plug) on my driver's door. And when I'd take the doors off, it would drain my battery. Harness was replaced and the problem was solved.
Interesting, how quickly did it drain the battery. I literally took the doors off and imidiately tried to start the jeep. Was the damage to the pin visible?

Sponsored

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
I could see a pin or two was out of alignment, but the dealer told me it was the harness. Either way, the replacement fixed the issue. I hope this helps save you some time and frustration.

Zachattack50

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT
Occupation
Small business owner
Did you put the door back on to see if it would start? Thats the only way to eliminate things. If you pull the door and it wont start, put it back on and verify it will start. If it does, your on the right track.

OP
OP

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I could see a pin or two was out of alignment, but the dealer told me it was the harness. Either way, the replacement fixed the issue. I hope this helps save you some time and frustration.
Since it isn't under warranty I need to try and confirm the issue before bringing it to them. I am going to take a look today and see if any pins are bent. I wonder how difficult it is to replace that harness.

OP
OP

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Did you put the door back on to see if it would start? Thats the only way to eliminate things. If you pull the door and it wont start, put it back on and verify it will start. If it does, your on the right track.
Yeah, I am going to try that next time if I can. Both times I was heading out the door and didn't have time to mess with it.

Gossamer

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Service
Vehicle Showcase
Since it isn't under warranty I need to try and confirm the issue before bringing it to them. I am going to take a look today and see if any pins are bent. I wonder how difficult it is to replace that harness.
Good luck

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, it's not in warranty any longer. It's a daily driver with 40k miles in two years so it definitely gets driven often. I guess I will go to the local auto parts store to test the batteries.
Bent pins in the door connectors can result in a myriad of weird problems. Just due to the age, and recent onset of the problem, I would say that it is time for a replacement of both batteries. Look at the manufacturing date on the door label. If it is anywhere close to three years ago, and you still have the original batteries, plan for a replacement (if not now, then real soon).

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
So I am having a weird issue or two. I was recently at the beach for the weekend. I took the doors and top off for the entire time and had no issues until the morning I was leaving. I went to leave and my battery was dead. I assumed I must have left something on over night and got a budy to jump me.

fast forward a few weeks and on a nice day I took my doors and top off to go for a joy ride. Right after removing the doors the jeep would not start. It exhibited signs of a dead battery again. Upon pressing the start button you hear a click or two and it sounds like it wants to turn over but never does. I jumped the battery and was back on the road. I drove almost an hour non stop. When I next went to start the same issue happened. I then got jump and was back on the road.

Today I decided to take just my doors off and right after doing so it would not start again. I jumped it and it started. Upon starting the autostop warning light is now coming on. Doors are still off and it is starting fine at this point. I have driven it 4 or 5 times today and that warning light comes on every time and stays on until I turn off the jeep.

Anyone have any issues like this? Could the autostop and battery issue be related?
My Jeep starts fine and have no problems when the doors are on. However, when I take the doors off the dash lights and shifter light stays on and drains my battery to the point where it wont start. I have disconnected the ground from the secondary battery and pulled the fuse #42 so I know the autostop issue is not part of the equation. It is a 21 Gladiator and still under warranty. Perhaps it could be a faulty harness as s posted on this forum?

OP
OP

Kewlrobd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
My Jeep starts fine and have no problems when the doors are on. However, when I take the doors off the dash lights and shifter light stays on and drains my battery to the point where it wont start. I have disconnected the ground from the secondary battery and pulled the fuse #42 so I know the autostop issue is not part of the equation. It is a 21 Gladiator and still under warranty. Perhaps it could be a faulty harness as s posted on this forum?
I found bent pins on my passenger side. I fixed them but that didn't fix my issue. I had both my batteries tested and they both failed. I replaced the main battery and bypassed the aux battery. Now all is well. If still under warranty, you may want to have the dealership test your batteries.

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I found bent pins on my passenger side. I fixed them but that didn't fix my issue. I had both my batteries tested and they both failed. I replaced the main battery and bypassed the aux battery. Now all is well. If still under warranty, you may want to have the dealership test your batteries.
When you have your doors off does the dash and shifter stay illuminated ? I never have an issue with the doors on.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Just be careful having a "parts store" test batteries............. they don't know squat about how they really should be tested and totally rely on cheap hand-held equipment, and worse, will even test a battery that's not fully charged.
They sell stuff, they aren't technical in almost any stretch of the definition.
I have been in parts stores when a counter person was testing batteries for other people and I have to laugh to myself when they read that little machine and instantly either clear the screen, or wad up the printout and not let anyone else see it and announce their results. Hey, if it's REALLY bad, you'll let ME see the results for myself. Sometimes I'd like to jump in and ask - so how did you test that battery? It was dead when it was brought in - of course it won't handle any load.
Sponsored