First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
realtor
2 years ago I was in Ouray and hitting the trails hard. I was having some issues getting errors and it turned out to be the front wheel speed sensor. I was told my drive shaft was spinning but the passenger front wheel wasn't turning. I got all the error codes for the faulty wheel sensor and made it through the week. Had the dealer replace under warranty and thought it was all good.

Before I had the wheel sensor replaced I thought it was my tazer that I had just updated and played with it but nothing changed.

I changed my axles to Rubicon axles and regeared to 4.88s. Set everything up with the tazer and could feel the difference when engaging the front lockers.

In September I dud Chinamins gulch and had one obstacle I couldn't get over. The spotters Saud my passenger wheel wasn't turning. I could feel the engagement when I locked the front but still wasn't getting both wheels locked.

On Thanksgiving we hit the trails and fresh snow. Take a loom at the video and you can see the passenger wheel isn't driving.

Very frustrated I opened up the fad to see why the axle wasn't locked up. Expected something to be stripped or damaged...nothing wrong. Thought it could be a bad wire but that should have thrown an error code.

So I go into my tazer and checked settings again. DUH when you go through the menu it ask if you have lockers...I do but run them through the aux switch so I say no. The next question says front axle...im thinking front axle locker...so as I always did I say no.

That's not what it means...it meand front axle disconnect FAD...so since I have always said no, it ne etc looked for it and never connected the axle.

As soon as I changed it to yes the motor engaged and the axle connected.

I'm a dumb ... and can't wait to get out and see how it performs with real 4wd.

Don't be like me lol.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
2 years ago I was in Ouray and hitting the trails hard. I was having some issues getting errors and it turned out to be the front wheel speed sensor. I was told my drive shaft was spinning but the passenger front wheel wasn't turning. I got all the error codes for the faulty wheel sensor and made it through the week. Had the dealer replace under warranty and thought it was all good.

Before I had the wheel sensor replaced I thought it was my tazer that I had just updated and played with it but nothing changed.

I changed my axles to Rubicon axles and regeared to 4.88s. Set everything up with the tazer and could feel the difference when engaging the front lockers.

In September I dud Chinamins gulch and had one obstacle I couldn't get over. The spotters Saud my passenger wheel wasn't turning. I could feel the engagement when I locked the front but still wasn't getting both wheels locked.

On Thanksgiving we hit the trails and fresh snow. Take a loom at the video and you can see the passenger wheel isn't driving.

Very frustrated I opened up the fad to see why the axle wasn't locked up. Expected something to be stripped or damaged...nothing wrong. Thought it could be a bad wire but that should have thrown an error code.

So I go into my tazer and checked settings again. DUH when you go through the menu it ask if you have lockers...I do but run them through the aux switch so I say no. The next question says front axle...im thinking front axle locker...so as I always did I say no.

That's not what it means...it meand front axle disconnect FAD...so since I have always said no, it ne etc looked for it and never connected the axle.

As soon as I changed it to yes the motor engaged and the axle connected.

I'm a dumb ... and can't wait to get out and see how it performs with real 4wd.

Don't be like me lol.

That is only possible with front locker engaged.
Otherwise, you are only running 2 wheel drive even with the front drive shaft spinning because the power is lost up front by the right axle spinning.
In an open front differential, even if in 4 wheel drive, there's no power to either wheel.
That's why it normally waits for a signal from the FAD to say ok, we're engaged, before the transfer case will shift.

With the differential locked - locker engaged - it can power the left front wheel alone if the FAD doesn't lock.
With the differential not locked - locker not engaged, you don't really power either front wheel if the FAD doesn't engage.

Sponsored

ToJTornottoJT

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1997 Jeep XJ
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser/Broker
And now you're up 25% on off-road capabilities! 😂
Wouldn't it be a 33% increase? If he had three wheel drive before and added another wheel it would be a 33% increase, not 25%.

OP
OP

Oak

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gladiator
Occupation
realtor
That is only possible with front locker engaged.

Otherwise, you are only running 2 wheel drive even with the front drive shaft spinning because the power is lost up front by the right axle spinning.

In an open front differential, even if in 4 wheel drive, there's no power to either wheel.

That's why it normally waits for a signal from the FAD to say ok, we're engaged, before the transfer case will shift.

With the differential locked - locker engaged - it can power the left front wheel alone if the FAD doesn't lock.

With the differential not locked - locker not engaged, you don't really power either front wheel if the FAD doesn't engage.
I know I could never understand why I could feel it pull when I engaged the locker but was still being told my passenger wheel wasn't turning. I was trying to figure out how my locker could only engage 1 side...now I know the rest of the story. It was locking but the fad wasn't engaging the passenger side.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I know I could never understand why I could feel it pull when I engaged the locker but was still being told my passenger wheel wasn't turning. I was trying to figure out how my locker could only engage 1 side...now I know the rest of the story. It was locking but the fad wasn't engaging the passenger side.
Sponsored