Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
The Extreme Recon package is way overpriced. Not compared to aftermarket cost - but that is not the correct comparison.

When you buy aftermarket, you are buying your tires, lift, and gears at retail price. The Recon package should be priced based on the difference in price between the 33 inch tires you get standard with the Rubicon and the 35 inch tires offered in the Recon package. Likewise, the difference in price between the Rubicon suspension and the Recon suspension, and the difference in price between the 4.10 gears and the 4.56 gears.

Right now at Discount Tire, a 33x12.5x17 BFG KO2 is $318, while a 35x12.5x17 is $329. That's a difference of $11 per tire (price difference may vary by tire brand). So the Recon package should add $55 in extra tire costs to the consumer (remember, when you buy the Recon package it is an upgrade over the standard Rubicon equipment). How much more expensive is the 1.5 inch lift in the Recon over the standard Rubicon suspension? $500? How much more expensive are 4.56 gears over 4.10 gears? $0?

Since you are not purchasing the Recon gear in addition to the Rubicon gear, the Recon package should cost $1,000 max.

The way the Recon package is currently priced, you should be receiving from Jeep five 33-inch tires, as well as the five 35-inch tires mounted on the vehicle; two sets of springs & shocks for all four corners; and a set of 4.10 gears in a little doggy bag to go along with the 4.56 gears installed in your Jeep.
Sponsored

Wally's Dad

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Estimator, Preconstruction Manager
True but Jeep is in the business to make money so they probably try to price as close to the max their market research has indicated people will be willing to pay for the package.
How dare you use logic around here?

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I don't care about a "real" 35 or not. I'd get the gears I want, put on 37s immediately and just adjust the bumpstops if needed. Run like that until it dies.

Now, if they come out with a 392 "Hercules" Gladiator, offer it on the 3.0, or even come out with a forced air inline 6, I'll pull the trigger immediately.

I loved wrenching and building all my CJs, TJs, LJ...etc. But now I just want to explore the backcountry, not live in my garage.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t get the hang up about a “true 35”. It is meant to indicate a size class, not to be a hard and fast spec measurement. A 70” TV isn’t really a full 70 either. I think if such a small deviation is such a concern, a fella may have other issues. :LOL:
The hung up is that you are paying extra for every inch of clearance you can get, and some tire manufacturers are taking 1/2-inch of tire (or 1/4 inch in additional clearance) away.

Flmthwr65

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator rubicon
Meh, too bad you have to order the top of the line model to get 35" tires unlike the Ford Bronco. Curious what the cost will be.
But if you look on the front of the grill for the Bronco they circled the problem lol
Sponsored