First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
392 Wrangler is insanely overpriced. My 2021 Ram Tradesman Power Wagon(392 8sp) was slightly more than half the MSRP for a 392 Wrangler.

I'll wait on the TT I6 (hurricane or typhoon or monsoon or whatever they call it)

After watching my friend and coworker try to resolve the self digesting cam phasers in his Raptor, hearing the repeated lies and dodging repairs (and he is far from alone)there is absolutely no way I would buy a Bronco of any kind. FCA/Stellantis has been less than 100% responsive to problems in some cases and certainly needs improvement. Ford sucks ass on a whole new level, those cam phasers were a problem from day one, they lied about it, obfuscated the problem, denied the problem and passed the expense of poor design and manufacturing quality directly onto their customer. You would have to be a complete idiot to sign up for that.
Your 6.4 in your fullsize truck aint the same 6.4 in jeep or challenger. Look up the specs!
Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Yeah sure, trust the Italian to do the jobs correctly... Name one italian product that is problem free!
Beretta 92FS
Now name one Ford product that is even remotely close to problem free
Your 6.4 in your fullsize truck aint the same 6.4 in jeep or challenger. Look up the specs!
Truck engine/car engine the point is the cost
You can buy a Challenger or Charger with the exact same car engine as the Wrangler for $15K less money, Jeep is fucking the shit out of people on that engine package.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
Truck engine/car engine the point is the cost
You can buy a Challenger or Charger with the exact same car engine as the Wrangler for $15K less money, Jeep is fucking the shit out of people on that engine package.
Keep in mind that from a unit cost standpoint for certification and due to R&D cost, they likely had to jack the price up to make the 392 economically viable.

That and at that price point, that’s clearly targeted at the “money is no object“ crowd, not the traditional Jeep enthusaist crowd. Is $77k for that REALLY that crazy when it’s not difficult to build a Mojave or Rubicon Gladiator up into the $60’s?

I get the Wrangler 392 from the “because we can” standpoint, but personally…I‘d have gotten a bigger kick out of seeing a 5.7L/350 HEMI as a more widespread option in the Wrangler and Gladiator for a nominal up-charge.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Keep in mind that from a unit cost standpoint for certification and due to R&D cost, they likely had to jack the price up to make the 392 economically viable.

That and at that price point, that’s clearly targeted at the “money is no object“ crowd, not the traditional Jeep enthusaist crowd. Is $77k for that REALLY that crazy when it’s not difficult to build a Mojave or Rubicon Gladiator up into the $60’s?

I get the Wrangler 392 from the “because we can” standpoint, but personally…I‘d have gotten a bigger kick out of seeing a 5.7L/350 HEMI as a more widespread option in the Wrangler and Gladiator for a nominal up-charge.
R&D and crash would cost exactly the same thing for 5.7 as 6.4, so if we are going to attribute R&D as an/the economic motivator, then you would end up with a 5.7 costing as much as the 6.4 (roughly).

I however agree in principle and think 5.7 should have been the base engine in the JT from the beginning.

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
R&D and crash would cost exactly the same thing for 5.7 as 6.4, so if we are going to attribute R&D as an/the economic motivator, then you would end up with a 5.7 costing as much as the 6.4 (roughly).

I however agree in principle and think 5.7 should have been the base engine in the JT from the beginning.
Yes, but given economies of scale for that scenario, they would be able to spread those cost across a significantly larger number of units, allowing them to sell each vehicle for significantly less than the 392.

Sponsored

jeepinmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
But what is the gas mileage on the highway? It has to better than a gas Wrangler, otherwise there's no point.
The point of these hybrids is for people who drive around the city like myself and dont go more than 25 miles round trip. If I had a 4xe during COVID I would've never used any gas the whole year as I didnt travel out of town in my Gladiator. People drive their vehicles the most where they live. The concept of going to work and back on full electric sporting 37's is pretty sweet.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
The point of these hybrids is for people who drive around the city like myself and dont go more than 25 miles round trip. If I had a 4xe during COVID I would've never used any gas the whole year as I didnt travel out of town in my Gladiator. People drive their vehicles the most where they live. The concept of going to work and back on full electric sporting 37's is pretty sweet.
Yes, I get that. We've been trying to get a PHEV for a year now. Toyota only makes enough PHEV Rav4s to get to the CAFE standard. You can't order them. Subaru says that they will make a PHEV Forester (my wife has a 2014 Forester) next year using the Toyota Prime technology. We'll see. We have 6.23 kW rooftop solar so it could be economical driving around town. PHEV's will no longer be sold in California beginning 2035 - nothing with a gas or diesel engine.

My point about the 4xe is that the range off-road is much less than 25 miles, so the advantage is in town not off road.

foxwalkhq

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2014 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Software Engineer
To sum up the title of this thread:

The stuff people want is not coming to the Gladiator, but the sh*t nobody gives af about and does not want is likely.

Xtreme recon was already a poor answer to Sasquatch. Only Rubicon automatic 4drs first, then barely expanded to willys automatic 4drs? Please. It's a joke. If xtreme ever comes to gladiators, it'll be the same restrictions. Automatic only. Rubi and willys only.

Also why stop at 8 inch wide rims? Would 8.5s really have been that hard? Jeep doesn't even want to try to touch the value of a base 2dr bronco sasquatch, and I don't understand why. Maybe once Ford stops fucking up their entire production line and demand and supply are more in line, jeep might have to answer for someone eating their lunch. For now? Ford as a threat is a whisper on the edge of hearing. But eventually growing pains and supply constraints will pass.

As for the 392, it's too rich for my blood. If someone can explain why a v8 is a $3000 option on a ram and a $30000 option on a wrangler, I'm all ears. Is the extra 27k the special intake?
1st/2nd paragraph: It pleases me to see that I'm not the only one that hates Jeep's boneheaded decisions. Including getting rid of 2 door Wrangler, Diesel option in the Wrangler, taking eTorque out of the 2.0L 4 cyl that needs it, and put it in the V6 that doesn't, etc. You would be surprised how many wannabe shills there are just fanboying like crazy for FCA and attacking anyone who dares to say FCA does anything wrong.

3rd paragraph: They are taking money from the hoards of people who want a V8 Wrangler so bad they're willing to blindly make horrible financial decisions. It's just simple business. The demand is there. They tested it. The people bought. So they keep making it. Now what they're gonna do is what they do with everything else: Discontinue it to create monster of a demand so they can do a limited edition every now and then for $1348792478 and then sell out super fast.

In defense of Jeep it is actually a really well-made Jeep and they have made such monumental improvements over the Wrangler, but then in typical idiot fashion they bring NONE OF THOSE improvements to the other Wranglers.. The hydro guide system should be an option in all Wranglers but nope. Jeep dumb. The wannabe shills will say "It's all about money WAHHHHH!!" but yeah dude... MONEY.. as in OPTION that people can CHOOSE to pay more money to add the hydro guide to other Wranglers/Gladiators. *roll eyes* You can tell I have had a lot of annoying people annoy the piss out of me on Jeep FB groups.

Just saw an ad for a 2022 392 here in Canada for 140,000$$ like wtf?? Where's the cash going.?
Into Jeep's pocket.

I couldn't afford a 392 JT and have no interest in a 4Xe JT.

Hey Jeep! How about make the 5.7L Hemi a $2-$3K option across all the JT trim levels? I would trade mine in tomorrow for one and I'll bet you would sell a ton of them.
Because that would stop people from overpaying for the 392. I suspect the pricing from the 392 came directly from them doing research on how much shops charge to install a 392. If you look at Exodus 4x4 for ex. I think it costs them like $32,000 maybe $40,000 or so to install a 392 into a Jeep. So Jeep was like "they are paying for this, they will pay a little less (BARELY BARELY a little less) to get a 392 from the factory, and they were right.

Don't get me wrong. The 392 is SOO good, that I would buy it, IF it wasn't complete sh*t on gas mileage. I'm sorry but I can't deal with the low mileage of even the v6, that's why I'm trading for a diesel soon.

258_T18A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7, 2015 JKUHR
I dont understand how people dont think the inline 6 isn't coming to the wrangler and gladiators.
Because it's February 2023 and the GME-T6 is still only available in one vehicle. The Grand Wagoneer. Where it's an optional engine, a $2K upcharge on a $110K vehicle that comes with the 6.4 standard. Stellantis has said it's coming to the Ram, but the 2023s are out and it's not available, so maybe for MY2024. After that, probably the regular Wagoneer. Then a couple of years later probably to a special edition Grand Cherokee. Somewhere down the road, sure it'll probably come to the Wrangler and Gladiator, probably a couple of years after the release of the next generation JM/JMT, but only on a limited edition with a similar upcharge over the Rubicon as the current 392.
Sponsored