Sponsored

Since no news on 4xe Gladiator this week, when is next likely update?

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I still dont get the allure.

The torque is up but only equal to a diesel engine.

The horsepower is up but only for 20 miles or less if you use it. Added 700lbs to the vehicle for 20 miles of range?

I think jeep fails to realize that these are adventure vehicles not chevy bolt EV replacements. Your goal is to leave the city (more than 20 miles).
The HP is always up not just when in pure electric mode. This jeep is 370hp and 480 ftlb of torque at ALL times. That is alot of go! If you plug it in you can sneak around town for about 30 mes has been my experience.
Sponsored

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The HP is always up not just when in pure electric mode. This jeep is 370hp and 480 ftlb of torque at ALL times. That is alot of go! If you plug it in you can sneak around town for about 30 mes has been my experience.
This.

People need to think of the ev portion as an electric supercharger (power adder). It's always available, the system won't let you run down the battery enough for it to not be available. So the allure is that you get better torque than the diesel, more hp, and diesel mileage or better around town for the price of regular. Downside is you don't have the diesel range or the highway mpgs for road trips though.

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
This.

People need to think of the ev portion as an electric supercharger (power adder). It's always available, the system won't let you run down the battery enough for it to not be available. So the allure is that you get better torque than the diesel, more hp, and diesel mileage or better around town for the price of regular. Downside is you don't have the diesel range or the highway mpgs for road trips though.
While everything you've said is accurate, it does oversell the 4xe a bit for people in one particular situation: non-driveway people. Whether you're talking old-ass house (like me!) or apartment/condo life people. A 4xe that you never or rarely get to plug in actually gets worse mileage than a straight gasser. Now... plenty of people will gladly sacrifice MPGs for power, but just a reminder that the 4xe is not 100% better for 100% of people 100% of the time.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still dont get the allure.

The horsepower is up but only for 20 miles or less if you use it. Added 700lbs to the vehicle for 20 miles of range?
This is 100% absolutely INCORRECT. Again, Jeeps problem is that they have pushed the all electric range thing so much that people are confused about the hybrid aspect.

When a battery is "empty" its not actually empty. It keeps some charge in reserve to assist the gas engine. Also, it generates electricity for itself when you coast or brake. Then when you put your foot into it, the battery discharges to provide added hp and torque.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One other thing that Jeep doesn't seem to advertise, which I suspect is because they don't want to overshadow the 392 is that the max torque of the 4xe is probably available at lower RPM than it is with the 392.

This is again why IMHO, a hybrid powertrain, plug in or not, is the overall best kind of powertrain available today.

If the hybrid powertrain in a Jeep was made by Toyota, I'd buy one without a second thought.
Sponsored