Sponsored

Since no news on 4xe Gladiator this week, when is next likely update?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Keep in mind that the 4XE has a 2 L turbo ICE which is not offered in the Gladiator.
I haven’t read anything about electrifying the 3.6L engine.

I have heard that the next vehicle to be electrified will be the 2022 Grand Cherokee (2 row vehicle) as that is one of Stelatis’ bread and butter vehicles..

I’m also waiting on any news about a 3L straight 6 gas engine that will have the capability to be turbocharged…
Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Keep in mind that the 4XE has a 2 L turbo ICE which is not offered in the Gladiator.
I haven’t read anything about electrifying the 3.6L engine.
This exactly. I don't see them putting the 4-cylinder engine in the Gladiator. Doesn't follow their current use case. They're probably looking to develop a "6xe" instead. I wouldn't expect to ever have the 4xe in the Glad.

Having said that, you're probably going to be waiting a few years for any kind of electric hybrid for our platform from the factory. They still need to develop it.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Much less the additional weight vs. capacity challenges

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I dont see why the 4xe drivetrain would not drop right in. It think it qould be perfect. I would seriously think about doong it myself if a good deal on a salvaged 4xe came up

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Pretty gross if we get the 4Xe before a V8 option

Sponsored

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow, Maserati Ghibli, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
At the rate they’re selling 4xe I wouldn’t count on the gladiator being eligible for the federal tax credit. The option is also going up in price for 2022

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont see why the 4xe drivetrain would not drop right in. It think it qould be perfect. I would seriously think about doong it myself if a good deal on a salvaged 4xe came up
Exactly. That's my point.

It will drop right in. The engineering has already been done.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pretty gross if we get the 4Xe before a V8 option
I disagree. I'm no green wacko. But I'm cheap. I won't drive a 12 mpg daily driver. The 4xe gives you all the convenience of a gas engine, with better efficiency and tons of low end torque.

470 ft-lbs of torque!!

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
While the Gladiator is rated to tow in the ballpark of 7,500 lbs max, does anyone actually do that on a regular basis? I towed about 9,000 lbs worth of boat and trailer with a built Ecoboost F150 rated to tow 12,500 lbs for a year and then moved up to an F250 because I never felt comfortable in the 1/2 ton truck. I can’t imagine feeling comfortable in the smaller, lighter, and way less powerful Gladiator.

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have towed 2000 chevy silverado on my aluminum trailer. That was pushing 7000 lbs. Weight distribution hitch and 12 inch brakes on all four trailer wheels. It was not an issue. Stop and go was sufficient. Ate alot of gas, and had to go slow through town.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Exactly. That's my point.

It will drop right in. The engineering has already been done.

The engineering to tow 3500# in a Wrangler has been done. That’s all we know for certain.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The engineering to tow 3500# in a Wrangler has been done. That’s all we know for certain.
I'm not sure if you have ever built anything. But it will quite literally bolt right in. The entire power plant's engineering is all done.

All that you are describing is an SAE test to determine its maximum tow capability.

I'm not saying all the work is done. But it is realistically 90% done.
What is left would be
1) battery packaging.
2) suspension tuning.
3) cooling analysis and sizing of battery radiator, coolant radiator and/or oil cooler and/or transmission oil cooler.
4) Chassis stress analysis on the rear suspension since this is from a Ram an not related to the Wrangler.
5) Software design.

What is done is
1) Powerplant design and integration between ICE and electric system.
2) wiring harness design.
3) Hybrid software.
4) Engine compartment integration
5) interior ingegration
6) instrumentation design and integration.

The stuff that needs to be done is detail work compared to what has already been done. The Gladiator and the Wrangler are essentially identical forward of the B Pillar.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While the Gladiator is rated to tow in the ballpark of 7,500 lbs max, does anyone actually do that on a regular basis? I towed about 9,000 lbs worth of boat and trailer with a built Ecoboost F150 rated to tow 12,500 lbs for a year and then moved up to an F250 because I never felt comfortable in the 1/2 ton truck. I can’t imagine feeling comfortable in the smaller, lighter, and way less powerful Gladiator.
Lets pretend you have 2 vehicles that both have a 7500 lb tow rating.

Vehicle A has that limit because when the SAE tested it up a 5% grade with the AC on on a 94 deg day, the engine ran out of cooling capacity.

Vehicle B has that limit because when the SAE tested it with an emergency avoidance maneuver the vehicle became dangerously unstable.

They both have the same tow limitation.

But one will tow in excess of 7500 lbs in most cases easily. The other should never be used to tow more than its rating.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont have to pretend, between my suspension supercharger and suspension. I could probably tow much more but don't they have to put numbers on the truck for the lowest common denominator. The Gladiator is wayyyyyyy more fun with more power and suspension.
Sponsored