Sponsored

Since no news on 4xe Gladiator this week, when is next likely update?

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Well understood and in my scenario I was #2. My Ecoboost had basically every bolt on and a tune, based on similar dyno results it was probably close to 450 HP and over 500 lb ft of torque. Installed in a max tow F150 with a 3.90 rear end if I remember correctly. Also had electric over hydraulic brakes that I installed on the trailer. It had the power to tow anything I hooked up to it, BUT physics are physics. When you are towing a load that is longer, taller, heavier, higher CG, and has tall sides to catch the wind, you are eventually going to have the tail wag the dog. Really my point is that many vehicles can get uncomfortable when you max out the tow rating, and if you are regularly towing 7,500 lbs a Gladiator might not be the best option.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
I'm not sure if you have ever built anything. But it will quite literally bolt right in. The entire power plant's engineering is all done.

All that you are describing is an SAE test to determine its maximum tow capability.
No, what I am saying is that just because the powerplant will bolt in doesn't mean it will work for the platform. Jeep does not offer the 2.0L in the Gladiator currently. There is a reason. The electrification parts add even more weight & heat to the equation. Doubtless, Jeep is trying to make the 4xe work in the Gladiator right now. BUT I suspect that if all they had to do was peripheral engineering, they would have already announced a 4xe JT to be released early next year. Might still happen if/when they post 2022 information. Hopefully won't have to wait much longer to find out -

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So back to the original topic. News on '22s.

Fingers crossed something comes out of the NY Auto Show. Well . . on the date of the Auto Show. Since they cancelled it. Ridiculous. But oh well.

If a 4xe is offered. I"m pulling the trigger. I'm getting tired of my car. Ha.
They're probably still trying to figure out how the hell they're going to build a midsize truck that weighs 5,890 lbs. and allow it to still tow a trailer with a 6,350 GVWR. 😄

A 4xe version of a Gladiator (or ANY midsize truck) is a major conundrum for engineering.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Keep in mind that the 4XE has a 2 L turbo ICE which is not offered in the Gladiator. I haven’t read anything about electrifying the 3.6L engine.
It is, however, used in the Pacifica PHEV.

Jeep has implied that the 2.0 isn't offered in the JT due to cooling issues while towing.

This would probably be worse in the 4xe format, so I could see the naturally aspirated pentastar being used instead.

This exactly. I don't see them putting the 4-cylinder engine in the Gladiator. Doesn't follow their current use case. They're probably looking to develop a "6xe" instead. I wouldn't expect to ever have the 4xe in the Glad.
Is the 4 a reference to the 2.0? I'd assume it was a play on 4x4...4xe.

Regardless, I could see the pentastar being utilized in a Gladiator PHEV, unless the I6 is ticketed for that application.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I think the hybrid will improve the cooling with reference to the 2.0 as your not spooling that turbo off the line as hard or often as the electric motor takes up that slack and lets it spool at a much easier pace. The torque capability of the e-motor would be a boon for getting a load moving. Could even see a tow mode that pro longs battery life towing by only using it off the line, or climbing, and then engaging the gas engine as the load has momentum.

Sponsored

jpjpjp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX
Do you think the NY Auto show would have provided some updates on the 4XE plans?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Do you think the NY Auto show would have provided some updates on the 4XE plans?
‘I read a rumor that Jeep planned on unveiling something but that was it…

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘I read a rumor that Jeep planned on unveiling something but that was it…
Fingers crossed its not a new perforated diamond stitch pattern leather for the Grand Wagoneer.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the hybrid will improve the cooling with reference to the 2.0 as your not spooling that turbo off the line as hard or often as the electric motor takes up that slack and lets it spool at a much easier pace. The torque capability of the e-motor would be a boon for getting a load moving. Could even see a tow mode that pro longs battery life towing by only using it off the line, or climbing, and then engaging the gas engine as the load has momentum.
Exactly right. Look at it this way, anything that improves efficiency by definition decreases heat. For example a 100% efficient drivetrain would emit no heat. And a 0% efficient drivetrain would make nothing but heat. ha.

Another less physics 201 way of looking at it is if you are coasting down a hill that energy goes into the battery. That energy is then used to move the vehicle on a flat or up a hill. Every unit of energy supplied by the electric part of the drivetrain is less energy that the internal combustion engine part of the drivetrain needs to make. Less energy produced (really converted, but you get my point) means less heat.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly right. Look at it this way, anything that improves efficiency by definition decreases heat. For example a 100% efficient drivetrain would emit no heat. And a 0% efficient drivetrain would make nothing but heat. ha.

Another less physics 201 way of looking at it is if you are coasting down a hill that energy goes into the battery. That energy is then used to move the vehicle on a flat or up a hill. Every unit of energy supplied by the electric part of the drivetrain is less energy that the internal combustion engine part of the drivetrain needs to make. Less energy produced (really converted, but you get my point) means less heat.
The only caviat. There is heat associated with the charging/decharging process

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
The only caviat. There is heat associated with the charging/decharging process
Just go ask the 4xe Wrangler guys, they will be happy to share temp into. Then compare with 2.0l temps.
But my money is on moving more weight will cancel out any ‘temp savings’ from electrification, especially w/ more crap under the hood.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just go ask the 4xe Wrangler guys, they will be happy to share temp into. Then compare with 2.0l temps.
But my money is on moving more weight will cancel out any ‘temp savings’ from electrification, especially w/ more crap under the hood.
I am a wrangler 4xe guy. Never seen it get over 190 even on a 100 degree day. But never towed or done anything to heavy duty with it.

0530211759_HDR.jpg

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.6JLUR6MT HellaYella SkyTop, 3.8JKUX6MT RedRock HalfDoors, Deciding on JTRD or JTR4xe
FCA/Stellantis is already crowd-testing Pentastar E-Torque in JL and RAM 1500. If crowd testing goes well, we might see Pentastar E-torque combined with the 8P75PH transmission and battery packs similar to what they did with the 2.0T E-Torque that became the 4xe in JL.

My guestimate is late 2022 release for 2023 model year.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Rumor has it there's going to be an Overlander/Off-Roader/Rock Crawler Gladiator that is aimed at reducing rear overhang and departure angle. Basically a bed-less Gladiator that will allow the aftermarket world to build to owner's preference. PCOR beds/canopies, flatbeds, tubed chassis, etc.

The MSRP for this is rumored to be $63k; it might be called Summit trim level.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Rumor has it there's going to be an Overlander/Off-Roader/Rock Crawler Gladiator that is aimed at reducing rear overhang and departure angle. Basically a bed-less Gladiator that will allow the aftermarket world to build to owner's preference. PCOR beds/canopies, flatbeds, tubed chassis, etc.

The MSRP for this is rumored to be $63k; it might be called Summit trim level.

So they'll sell me a JLU but call it a JTS?
Sponsored