Sponsored

Since no news on 4xe Gladiator this week, when is next likely update?

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only caviat. There is heat associated with the charging/decharging process
Of course. But this process is 85-90% efficient. Whereas the conversion of fuel to power is about 30% efficient. So much much less heat is produced.
Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just go ask the 4xe Wrangler guys, they will be happy to share temp into. Then compare with 2.0l temps.
But my money is on moving more weight will cancel out any ā€˜temp savingsā€™ from electrification, especially w/ more crap under the hood.
Whatever. Anyone who buys a 4xe for constant heavy towing is a fool. Like you have implied, there are a lot of unknowns.

I do have a need to tow 3000-6000 lbs across town several times per year. I don't think any Gladiator (or Wrangler for that matter) will have any trouble with that.

Its a great powertrain package for use as a daily driver. Lots of power up and down the RPM range and good fuel economy.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any thoughts on next 2022 update?

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Grounds manager
What gets me is the Wrangler 4xe has all that extra power and torque but can't even tow half of what my Max Tow Gladiator Gasser can tow. Rated at 3500lbs, Max Tow Gladiator's are rated for 7600lbs. Electric Hybrids are a nice idea but that's pretty lacking.
To be fair. A gladiator 4xe will tow less than the max tow gasser. Because it will probably weigh 700lbs more just like the wrangler. Thatā€™s a lot of extra payload which reduces towing. Also more weight to move climbing, descending and sidewaysing the trails!

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
To be fair. A gladiator 4xe will tow less than the max tow gasser. Because it will probably weigh 700lbs more just like the wrangler. Thatā€™s a lot of extra payload which reduces towing. Also more weight to move climbing, descending and sidewaysing the trails!
I dont get it. Adding a whole huge subsystem that adds a measly amount of range equivalent to a gallon of fuel when the answer is already an engine option..... Remember when the etorque came out and they all caught on fire? Hard pass on that.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I dont get it. Adding a whole huge subsystem that adds a measly amount of range equivalent to a gallon of fuel when the answer is already an engine option..... Remember when the etorque came out and they all caught on fire? Hard pass on that.
You're missing the point. Hybrids are a means to an end. They provide the increase in fleet MPG that allows the continued production of fuel burning vehicles. They provide little, if any, advantage to the individual purchaser, but provide an overall advantage to the larger group of purchasers. As long as there are enough people who can go electric, the rest of us can continue to burn fuel.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
It is a significant power adder, regardless of the energy source. I would argue it is less complicated when implemented well.

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Grounds manager
I think the 4xe is having a lot of issues too. Off-road you only get like half the range maybe less. So like 7-10 miles lol

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
That is all electric, you still get all the electric assist. Just have the gas motor chiming in. 480 ftlbs crawls wonderfully

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
I think the 4xe is having a lot of issues too. Off-road you only get like half the range maybe less. So like 7-10 miles lol
Depends on what you're off roading. Constant climbs I believe it, but trails with mild elevation changes not much loss. Wife's 4xe gets about 80% of the electric range off road around here. The 20% loss is very similar to my mpg hit off road.

Sponsored

Tommyd

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Grounds manager
Depends on what you're off roading. Constant climbs I believe it, but trails with mild elevation changes not much loss. Wife's 4xe gets about 80% of the electric range off road around here. The 20% loss is very similar to my mpg hit off road.
Ok makes sense. I was going by tfl on YouTube and they are in Colorado. So yeah that might be why.

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like you don't understand how a plug in hybrid works.

You don't need to run it in all electric mode. You can just drive it like a regular car and never charge it. If you do that you will benefit from excellent in town gas mileage and most importantly 375 hp and 450 ft-lbs of torque. (Same torque as the 392)

If the Wrangler was built by Toyota, who has been building hybrids for 25 years, it would be an easy and excellent choice.

As it is now, the 4xe wreaks of a version 1.0 attempt.

You have no supply of spare parts
Technicians who don't know how to diagnose or repair
Problems that nobody can solve
Vehicles out of service for months

Its a nightmare.

But the core technology of a hybrid gas electric vehicle is probably the best overall drivetrain there is right now. Tons of power, tons of torque, good fuel economy, no battery range anxiety, no waiting for anything to charge.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
I still dont get the allure.

The torque is up but only equal to a diesel engine.

The horsepower is up but only for 20 miles or less if you use it. Added 700lbs to the vehicle for 20 miles of range?

I think jeep fails to realize that these are adventure vehicles not chevy bolt EV replacements. Your goal is to leave the city (more than 20 miles).

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link

The horsepower is up but only for 20 miles or less if you use it. Added 700lbs to the vehicle for 20 miles of range?

I think jeep fails to realize that these are adventure vehicles not chevy bolt EV replacements. Your goal is to leave the city (more than 20 miles).
no one is forcing you to use the 4xe in EV mode for the first 20 miles your drive it, and even if you did, once EV only mode is no longer useable, it's still a regular hybrid. The engine and brakes still charge the battery to provide the extra oomph after the EV only range is gone.

It's not like you get in the 4xe, you have to drive the first 20 miles in EV and then you lose half your torque. That's not how any plug in hybrid works.

If you want to save your battery charge for the trail, there is a minimal assist mode that will keep your freshly charged battery topped off til you get where you want to use it., but again, this isn't necessary. The point of the minimal assit mode is really more to save your EV miles for the city. So you don't leave your driveway, hit a highway, and burn through all your better MPGe before you get to the city where it's more beneficial.

It's a much more well designed system than you're giving it credit for.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800

I still don't think you're looking at this right.

Electric motors provide full torque at 0 rpm. Diesels or gas need to rev up to get to that maximum torque level. So from a stop, or low-speed crawling, the electric has more available power no matter what. This is why re-gearing is a thing, because of the power curves in ICE engines. There is no power curve in EVs, it's all available from the very beginning. Teslas are extremely quick due to this, despite their significant weight.

And the range is just a statement of capability. You can go 20 miles on electric only. That is not intended to define the only use case of the EV powerplant, though, and it's unfair to try and characterize it that way.
Sponsored