Threads
Reaction score
Website
saltmustflow.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT, '81 Z-28, '18 TW200, '72 CT 175
Occupation
Electrical Controls Engineer
There's only one reason to buy a manual these days: enjoyment.
Another is simplicity. No dependence on electronics to function.
Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Eh, it's gotta be better than the craptastic drivetrain that's in it now. Pretty low bar Toyota has set there.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
I did not like the sound of the turbo 4 cylinder on the jlu I test drove when we first started it up. They should make these vehicles smaller if they're going to take away displacement.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
Toyota engineers after hanging some laughably out of place random high voltage cable out the rear window that's in no way connected to anything in the vehicle.

Jeep Gladiator Rival News: Next-Gen 2024 Tacoma to Offer Turbo 4cyl or Hybrid Engine Only. No More V6 2024-toyota-tacoma-front-fascia-slip-hybrid-clues-6

Jeep Gladiator Rival News: Next-Gen 2024 Tacoma to Offer Turbo 4cyl or Hybrid Engine Only. No More V6 dietjoke

Sponsored

jeventures

First Name
JonEric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business
If Toyota released an electric Tacoma with even 250 miles of range I’d be all over it. Not as a JT replacement but an every day and weekend adventure truck…to bike and hike trailheads. Too bad there aren’t enough mines running to support the batteries needed if such a popular vehicle went electric.

Rubi_Rue2021

First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Fireman
Is it me, or does it look almost the size of a 1500/Full size truck? That alone would make me pull out. Looks too wide and fat to me

maybe that’s just me tho 🤷🏾‍♂️

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
Good point on the wheel wells, looks like a base model first gen Chevy Avalanche. The renderings so far look like most new Toyota models, trying way too hard to look “aggressive”.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
Now regarding the taco, will it actually come with modern brakes or are drum brakes all Toyota’s bean counters will allow?
Before I got my JT 3 years ago, I test drove a newer Tacoma. Then they pointed out it had rear drums. I was like "my '98 Tacoma has rear drums, if I get a new truck want a "modern" vehicle." 😂 That was kind of a deal breaker, amongst a few other things like body styling which appears they're continuing with. It's a mid-size truck wanting to look like a full-size.

Sponsored

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Rear discs are plain as day in those spy shots, so there's that

The drums on my 2005 Taco were hands-down the worst feature of it. They're supposed to "self adjust" which is complete horseshit. I was constantly tinkering with the adjuster star ratchets, and the shoes would clearance themselves again on even a short drive. Everything in spec and regularly checked. Just garbage brakes (at least on my high milage truck with lots of weight in the bed) with little power that didn't engage until deep and hard on the pedal, by which time you've already almost stopped (a mile down the road). Not confidence inspiring. I just never went over 65

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
The Tacoma is no rival for the Gladiator. I used to be a Toyota guy. The Tacoma is what turned me into a “former Toyota guy”. . .

graham5david

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel Rubicon
Occupation
RN
If you want a tacoma, save yourself 35k and buy a 1st gen tundra. Almost the same foot print, more leg room in the rear, 4.7L v8. Easier to lift and run 35s. I have an 06 with 210k on it. Runs and drives perfect, pulls my boat with ease, plenty of room for everyone. Just add an android audio stereo and you have all the tech of the current tacoma. It's basically a v8 tacoma. What more could you want in a 4x4 truck. You can even get a single cab.

20220730_150403.jpg

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I hope the JT gets the inline 6 Hurricane. It would keep in with the competition of the Ranger Raptor and anything Toyota is about to do.

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
The regular 2.4L (if the numbers I found are correct) seems alright. A little less HP than the Pentastar but significantly more torque. It would probably be fine depending on transmission behind it and the weight of the truck.

Hybrid drivetrain advertises even more HP. I'd be curious to see how that performs.

Rest of the truck you'll probably have to mutilate like the current gen to get larger tires under it (at least, 35" and up). Personally not a big deal for me - I plan on leaving 33's under my Gladiator - at least for the foreseeable future.

I really wanted to like the Tacoma and even drove them in the past, but the drivetrain felt so gutless to me. It really just could not get out of its own way. Sure, the Gladiator is no race car, but it simply moves its weight better in my opinion. The Gladiator had more back seat leg room, more head room, and a better feeling drivetrain. That is some of the items that won me over and got me to stay with a Jeep again (I was switching from 2 door JK to a 4x4 pickup, of some sort).

So - right now not particularly interested in the new Tacoma. Maybe that could change.

New trucks I AM interested in? The Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. Love the new body style inside and out. If I felt a need to get out of my Gladiator at some point, I WILL cross shop those two.
Sponsored