Diesel or hybrid engine?

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN
I dont buy the argument the 4xe is new tech. Its not like they designed something different from what every car company (including them) has been building for 20+ years now.....hybrid tech is nothing new. I doubt reliability will be much of an issues with a 4xe gladiator.

For me, 15 miles of electric only is awesome since my work, kids school, grocery store, and most other essentials are all within 5 miles.....My real world gas milage would be huge because of my life style, and this key. If your life style permits, you could go weeks without seeing a gas station. Many wrangler 4xe owners report using their ride like this.

For my other , more distant needs, the improved gas milage compared to a regular gladiator is still welcome.

Power is probably a wash compared to diesel, but the 4xe does seem to be quicker.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX570, Model Y
4xe is quicker, doesn't have the overheating issues the diesel has, doesn't have the science experiment emissions on the back end, and handles better because the battery pack brings the CoG down some. Batteries continue to get cheaper every year so by the time the battery is out of warranty and in need of replacement, I think you're fine.

4xe is incredibly complex though, and with only a few on the road for a year and FCA/Stellantis' less than desireable reliability reputation, idk how well it'll play out in the long term if a weak point shows up.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
They have been selling the Hybrid Pacifica about four years, this is nothing new for them. The challenge was mounting the battery so it will stay dry and not get damaged. The 4xe only gets 2/3 the electric distance on the same capacity battery pack, but that is to be expected, considering the design differences.

jamief

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 landcruiser
And, we don't even know that there will be a Gladiator 4xe. They don't have any room within the confines of GVWR in the midsize category to handle another 700 lbs. of weight from the battery pack and motors. I'm not sure how they could build a 4xe JT that has usable payload capacity.
This is the big concern. The battery pack is going to eat a lot of that up and I'm not sure how they can get around it without changing GVWR.

Sponsored

Pattar

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator JTRD, 1995 Ram 2500 diesel
I got my diesel rubicon less than a month ago and put 650 miles on it, and I love it. It makes a good amount of torque, and I am getting 23.5 mpg around town.

Smess

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel, 2021 392, 1982 J10
I will give you my neighbors number and he can tell you how he hates his 4ex so much he wants to shoot me when I drive by in my diesel because he didnt listen to me.

Two occASIONS OF complete dead house batteries for no apparent reason and he said around town the 4ex was fine but when he got in the mountains it ate so much gas he thinks he would have been better off with the 6cly his brother has. they rv together and he bought it to tow behind the rv and there is a lot of mountain trips.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I dont buy the argument the 4xe is new tech. Its not like they designed something different from what every car company (including them) has been building for 20+ years now.....hybrid tech is nothing new. I doubt reliability will be much of an issues with a 4xe gladiator.
Someone posted a chart on the JL forum last year which had PHEV as the least reliable drivetrain over the last decade or so. Conventional hybrids were the most reliable, flowed by ICE, diesel and BEV.

I think this is somewhat skewed, as the conventional hybrid market has been dominated by Prius/Toyota and (to a lesser extent) Honda.

Other brands with a worse track record for reliability missed that first wave, and many jumped immediately into PHEVs.

Another potential reliability issue with a PHEV drivetrain, is if the ICE doesn't run enough. There's something to be said for regular, moderate use.

It is said that part of the reason that police cruisers (and taxis) are able to rack up some huge mileage, is because they go through far fewer warm up/cool down cycles.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
4xe is quicker, doesn't have the overheating issues the diesel has, doesn't have the science experiment emissions on the back end, and handles better because the battery pack brings the CoG down some. Batteries continue to get cheaper every year so by the time the battery is out of warranty and in need of replacement, I think you're fine.

4xe is incredibly complex though, and with only a few on the road for a year and FCA/Stellantis' less than desireable reliability reputation, idk how well it'll play out in the long term if a weak point shows up.

it’s amazing that the 4xe in gladiator doesn’t have a cooling problem. How much have you towed with one? my diesel on 39s has never been above 220* on the trans the oil or the coolant and Ive towed with it. I’ve also carried 1600+ lbs in the bed.

Some people have had cooling issues with the diesel not most. Some people have had turbos on the 2L take a shit. Some people have had entirely new 3.6 engines put it.

also your claim of the cog being lower on the 4xe is laughably wrong. The batterie are under the rear seat.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LX570, Model Y
it’s amazing that the 4xe in gladiator doesn’t have a cooling problem. How much have you towed with one? my diesel on 39s has never been above 220* on the trans the oil or the coolant and Ive towed with it. I’ve also carried 1600+ lbs in the bed.

Some people have had cooling issues with the diesel not most. Some people have had turbos on the 2L take a shit. Some people have had entirely new 3.6 engines put it.

also your claim of the cog being lower on the 4xe is laughably wrong. The batterie are under the rear seat.
Hey what's lower

A flat battery underneath the rear seat or the engine bay

IOS-XR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator HA Diesel, 21 Silverado LT Diesel
Occupation
CTO
3900 miles on my Sport S Ecodiesel. Can't be happier. Average over those miles 27 mpg. No complaints so far.
We love our diesel as well. I did 27.2mpg on a drive up to Michigan today. I’m pretty darn happy with that. The torque is addictive as well.

1TYQKBm.jpg

Also, if it hasn’t been mentioned the engine is Italian. VM Motori is the manufacturer. The transmission for the diesel is a ZF.
Sponsored