Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles loses $1.9B in first quarter, announces production restart date

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...nings-first-quarter-2020-covid-19/3081434001/

May 5, 2020

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles lost $1.9 billion (1.7 billion euros) in the first three months of 2020 as the Italian-American automaker felt the initial financial sting of the coronavirus pandemic.

Despite the loss, the company said it had revenues of $22 billion (21 billion euros) compared to the same period a year ago, a drop of 16%, and its earnings before interest and taxes were slightly positive.

The company also announced a restart for its U.S. manufacturing facilities for the week of May 18, with the exception of Belvidere Assembly in Illinois. The Belvidere plant, where the Jeep Cherokee is produced, is to reopen by June 1. The restart dates had been pushed back a number of times as the pandemic unfolded. Ford and General Motors are also believed to be considering a restart later this month.

UAW President Rory Gamble responded to the restart announcement, saying union members and the companies have done great work to achieve safety goals connected to health guidelines.

"We continue to advocate for as much testing as possible at the current time and eventually full-testing when available. As for the start date, the companies contractually make that decision and we all knew this day would come. Our UAW focus and role is and will continue to be, on health and safety protocols to protect our members," Gamble said, noting that his own family members would be among those reporting to work.

The UAW, he said, "will fulfill its role to continue to actively monitor and aggressively respond regarding all issues impacting the health and safety of UAW members in whatever manner may be necessary as we return to the worksite.”

The earnings report, released Tuesday morning, provides a snapshot of one company's place in a world economy rocked by COVID-19 and follows last month's news that Detroit Three rival Ford suffered a $2 billion net loss during the quarter. GM is expected to release earnings on Wednesday.

Peugeot-maker PSA Groupe, which is working toward a merger with FCA, said earlier that its revenue dropped almost 16% in the quarter and global sales were down 29%. FCA noted that "we remain committed to completing the transaction by the end of this year or early 2021."

For FCA, sales for the quarter in the United States, where the company makes most of its profits, declined 10%. The company said its 818,000 vehicle shipments worldwide represented a 21% decline, which it attributed to a combination or production suspensions and disrupted global demand.

While the first quarter impact from the coronavirus is substantial, analysts expect the second quarter to provide a clearer picture of the damage.

FCA CEO Mike Manley said the company's first priority throughout the crisis has been the health and safety of its employees and communities and he offered a message of resolve.

"The pandemic has had, and continues to have, a significant impact on our operations. With our experienced leadership team and dedicated employees, I have the utmost confidence in our ability to navigate through this crisis and emerge well-positioned to grow and prosper on the other side," Manley said in the news release.
Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Diesel Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cybersecurity - Cyber Intelligence
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone on this forum work at the plant? I thought there were a few members. I read that some workers voluntarily returned awhile ago and have been doing various things. I'm curious if the assembly line is moving at all or if it's other jobs they are completing.
I know my build (according to jeep chat) has had all it's parts gathered and staged, so it's ready for build.
Thank you to those workers by the way!!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The company... announced a restart for its U.S. manufacturing facilities for the week of May 18,
This indeed is the good news I have been waiting for. I also wonder, is production retarting then? Or will they be doing prep work then? Hopefully, volunteer workers and management have already been sanitizing and modifying work protocols so that actual assembly can start soon.

Last edited:

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This indeed is the good news I have been waiting for. I also wonder, is production retarting then? Or will they be doing prep work then? Hopefully, volunteer workers and management have already been sanitizing and modifying work protocols so that actual assembly can start soon.
Been wondering the same. They said "the week of the 18th", and not "the 18th" they would re-open. So I'm not even sure if they will spin up next Monday.

I do know there are workers who voluntarily returned a while back. My understanding was that they have been prepping for the factor to open back up so they can hit the ground running. For my VIN jeep chat says "All of the materials needed to start the build process have been received. The vehicle should be entering the build process very soon." I'm pretty sure that's a bit of a canned message but I guess that means I'm not waiting for the factor to open before they start staging the build.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
For my VIN jeep chat says "All of the materials needed to start the build process have been received. The vehicle should be entering the build process very soon." I'm pretty sure that's a bit of a canned message but I guess that means I'm not waiting for the factory to open before they start staging the build.
How do you access that information? My dealer told me March 31 that a VIN had been assigned. Did your dealer give you the VIN?

Is this where you enter Jeep Chat?

https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/article/How-do-I-contact-Jeep2

Sponsored

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, direct link here:
https://fcacommunity.force.com/Jeep/s/knowledge
I ordered on March 12 and chat gave me my VIN March 13.
The Dealer can/should provide you with the VIN. It's located on the top of the POC (Priced Order Confirmation) sheet they give you. Just FYI, Jeep chat would not provide me with any details without first providing them the VON or VIN, so you might want to reach out to your dealer and get that.

Jeep chat said they can no longer see status codes (D, D1, D2 etc) and they just see updates. I'd bet you are definitely staged and parts ready if I am because I ordered mine on April 14th.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The Dealer can/should provide you with the VIN. It's located on the top of the POC (Priced Order Confirmation) sheet they give you. Just FYI, Jeep chat would not provide me with any details without first providing them the VON or VIN, so you might want to reach out to your dealer and get that.

Jeep chat said they can no longer see status codes (D, D1, D2 etc) and they just see updates. I'd bet you are definitely staged and parts ready if I am because I ordered mine on April 14th.
The POC shows the VON, but not the VIN. I will call to get the VIN. Then keep waiting . . .

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure the VON will work too. Reply back with your status when you get it. Good luck!

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
Yeah, they ask for the VON and if the VIN has been assigned they will give that to you. My dealer told me I was in D1 on April 9th. Hoping I’m pretty early next week.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they ask for the VON and if the VIN has been assigned they will give that to you. My dealer told me I was in D1 on April 9th. Hoping I’m pretty early next week.
Yup that’s my actual status too.

Read up on some cool facts... Apparently the truck only takes 2-3 days to actually make. The rest is sitting and transit time. I also read that they do the autos in batches by color, ie sting grays only on Monday then move onto gator on tues etc. I guess it helps minimize the down time required to swap out paint gear and stuff.

Mine is sting gray, what color did you folks who are also waiting order?

ciarraikerry

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Occupation
Biologist
Mine is gator. My JK order went to framing on the day after the super bowl and was KZ the next day. Took 5 weeks after that. The good part here is that the pipeline is empty ahead of orders now. The transit time should be reduced.

tampahoosier

First Name
Heath
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The good part here is that the pipeline is empty ahead of orders now. The transit time should be reduced.
Didn’t even think about that actually. Sort of gives me some hope!

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Read up on some cool facts... Apparently the truck only takes 2-3 days to actually make. The rest is sitting and transit time. I also read that they do the autos in batches by color, ie sting grays only on Monday then move onto gator on Tues etc. I guess it helps minimize the down time required to swap out paint gear and stuff.

Mine is sting gray, what color did you folks who are also waiting order?
I read in another forum from a Toledo Works employee that a Wrangler takes 18 hours, so a Gladiator probably similar. Except after Covid-19 maybe extended because protocols will change to reduce worker-to-worker contact/proximity.

I really went out on a limb and ordered white.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Pretty sure the VON will work too. Reply back with your status when you get it. Good luck!
Now this is a bit concerning: I did the Jeep Chat thing, and the agent could not find the VON from my POC. Did not exist! After me providing dealer name, my name and address, she announce she had found the order, with a different VON. She also gave me the VIN. I expressed my concern, if the VON got mixed up, maybe the actual order as well? She then referred me back to my dealer.

Stay tuned.
Sponsored