Jeep Jamboree events, who's gone?

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
It's all about money, we all know that. Some people just like to try and disguise it. "Keeping the riffraff out" is bullshit. Anyone can save money and anyone's Jeep can break. New shit breaks all the time. The guy that said that was just an uppity prick. The Jamboree here in NC is held at Uwharrie National Forrest. The trail system is open 24/7 from mid-April to mid-December to anyone with $5. Jeep doesn't contribute to the upkeep of the trail system. Volunteers do the work, the Feds pony up some cash here and there and the rest is done by folks paying to ride. This year the Jamboree people spent some time on a private property riding trails that most folks don't ride on. It's not that they can't, it's just that The Farm charges to ride. That's fine, nobody has a problem with it. From time to time the locals will pay to ride there as well, they put on a 4x4 driving school, cookouts that kind of stuff. It's a great place. For WAY less than the JJ anyone can do the same thing at any other time of the year. There won't be vendors or seminars but there will be good people riding trails and helping each other whenever it's needed.

The JJ is a money making business. It's no different than Daytona's Bike Week or anything else that makes a profit off of people that like hanging out together. If that's your thing, good for you, enjoy yourself!
i gotta start a spreadsheet to add places like, Uwharrie National Forrest to my list.
Sponsored

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
What wheeling alternatives are available vary with where you live or how far you’re willing to drive.

When in Colorado, I will just wheel alone or with friends on the countless places there of all types of difficulty.

Here in Virginia, there are far fewer places to go. Back in 2012, I went to two event put on by Big Dogs (https://bigdogsoffroad.com/index.html) at the Cove (https://covecampground.com/index.htm), about an hour and a half from where I live.

The events generally cost $75 per vehicle. It costs about $50 - $100 to camp there – depending on how many people and for one or two nights. https://bigdogsoffroad.com/html/agenda.html

They have numerous extensive trails rated from #3 to #11. I did #8s with my friends and their trailered Jeeps, when I had my then-new 2012 JKUR with 4” lift, winch, and 35s, and only chose a couple of bypasses. You are required to have a winch, 35s or bigger, and front and rear lockers to do #8s. So, I will be limited to #7s until I get a winch on the JTR. https://bigdogsoffroad.com/html/trail_rides.html

It was a really good time both times, and I might go back with the JTR:

wBRXSGs.jpg

nTjV9xv.jpg

Sounds kind of like a Jeep Jamboree, but without the expensive “Jeep” branding.

Last edited:

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We get it, it's not for you. Cool.
Who is "We."

I just posted an alternative.

I get it too: You don't want alternatives to your preferred approach to be posted.

We get it, Cool.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Who is "We."

I just posted an alternative.

I get it too: You don't want alternatives to your preferred approach to be posted.

Cool.
He's starting to take the disagreement with the high price personally.

I believe sunken cost fallacy might be at play.

Sponsored

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
What wheeling alternatives are available vary with where you live or how far you’re willing to drive.

When in Colorado, I will just wheel alone or with friends on the countless places there of all types of difficulty.

Here in Virginia, there are far fewer places to go. Back in 2012, I went to two event put on by Big Dogs (https://bigdogsoffroad.com/index.html) at the Cove (https://covecampground.com/index.htm), about an hour and a half from where I live.

The events generally cost $75 per vehicle. It costs about $50 - $100 to camp there – depending on how many people and for one or two nights. https://bigdogsoffroad.com/html/agenda.html

They have numerous extensive trails rated from #3 to #11. I did #8s with my friends and their trailered Jeeps, when I had my then-new 2012 JKUR with 4” lift, winch, and 35s, and only chose a couple of bypasses. You are required to have a winch, 35s or bigger, and front and rear lockers to do #8s. So, I will be limited to #7s until I get a winch on the JTR. https://bigdogsoffroad.com/html/trail_rides.html

It was a really good time both times, and I might go back with the JTR:

wBRXSGs.jpg

nTjV9xv.jpg

Sounds kind of like a Jeep Jamboree, but without the expensive “Jeep” branding.
thanks for the alternatives, keep em coming. i was just thinking jeep jamboree cuz my wife found them online, and i'm a newb to wheeling, but I too like to save money. =)

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went to a Jeep Camp up north put on by the Wisconsin Jeep Owners Group, the weekend with one meal was $20. I plan to do that several more times.
You bastard! I can't believe you would mention an alternative costing 1/20th of a JJ on this thread. "We" now know that you are a bad man. Cool.

OP
OP
steffen707

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You bastard! I can't believe you would mention an alternative costing 1/20th of a JJ on this thread. "We" now know that you are a bad man. Cool.
lol, i started this thread, I can burn it to the ground if i want! :devil:

Also a JJ family pass is like $800, that's 1/40th....buy a calculator already! lol
upload_2019-12-11_22-53-8.png

Sponsored

MarineHawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Still, even if you started this thread, you are committing apostacy by arguing that anything could replace a JJ experience, especially at 1/40th of the cost. Who do you think you are?

"We" all know who I am.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Here’s the thing about JJ ... It is a chunk of money to attend, but at the same time, For someone that’s a newb who’s never owned a Jeep or been off-roading before it’s a good way to get out there and find out what you’re Jeep can do and learn how to wheel safely. The first Jeep I bought was a JKU SportS. Went to a Jamboree to find out how capable that thing really was and had a blast doing it without ever fearing that I was going to destroy my daily driver.
I’ve been to 5 total and the thing I like is that (with the exception of running trails outside the off road park) JJ rents out the entire park so you don’t end up with folks in side by sides passing ya or coming at ya on the trail and having to figure out how to fit 2 vehicles on a single wide trail or start climbing a steep trail and then you have a kid on a four wheeler coming down the hill at you which happened to me at a local off-road park one weekend. The guides coordinate who’s gonna be on what trail when so you don’t have those problems.
Take the JJ at Seymour Missouri for example. They rent out the entire park (closed to the public) they hire trail guides and spotters that are locals that wheel there all the time and know the trails. And provide three meals a day so you don’t have to worry about nothing but learning your Jeep and safe ways to go off road. When you check in they have guides check your Jeep and suggest groups according to your rig and skill level. Those with built rigs running 40’s on 4” lifts go with the higher group crawling up waterfalls and cool shit but the newb that has a stock Cherokee trail hawk goes with the bottom group through muddy fields and creek beds and learns how the off road functions of their Jeep works without breaking shit and learns what it means to pick a line on a trail. The one I went to I was in the mid level group (JK 3” lift and 35’s) but we had a guy who had a JLUR w/4” lift and 37’s complaining the trails weren’t tough enough and pushing the guides to do harder trails which caused the open diff sports like mine or the stock Rubis to struggle a lot and not enjoy it as much. Usually its a good time when you get in the right group. The guides know the place like the back of their hand and can run the group down trails that will challenge ya a bit and leave ya impressed with your rig and not be puckered the whole weekend. As someone else mentioned being in a group can suck if you’ve got someone that’s overreaching and you spend half the day winching them every time ya turn around but at the same time it has advantages. We had one misfortunate driver rip the sidewall of both passenger side tires. There were enough Jeeps running the same size tires in the group to pull an extra spare for him swap the wheels right there in the creek bed and rolling again in 11 minutes. :like:
Again it may not be for everyone. Price is a big factor for most people. It’s just a matter of whether paying that extra is worth not having any worries about getting into more trouble than you can handle or painting yourself in a corner by not knowing the trails and going down a trail of ledges that’s a 4 going down and a 6 going up to find that the trail you were going to take back out got washed out and is longer a 4 but now a 7 and it’s either back up the 6 you just came down or 7s and 8s the other ways. (That was not fun with open diffs!)
Besides all that it a good chance to see plenty of other Jeeps and mods and get ideas for your next mod or think back and say if I had this or that we could have run XX trail without getting winches. Find your limits without ruining your day.

RangerG

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Instructor
I just did the 31st Big Bear Jamboree. The reason for the fees are: # 1: experienced trails guides. ( we had a leader then a mid gunner then a tail gunner) #2: they help you fix what ever is broken. Even changing a tire. # 3: they will leave thier Jeep to spot for you when ever you need it. These are great events. Got to meet a lot of other Jeepers that I would not have the chance to meet. I plan on doing Death Valley next year.

Reactions: PJZ

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
I just did the 31st Big Bear Jamboree. The reason for the fees are: # 1: experienced trails guides. ( we had a leader then a mid gunner then a tail gunner) #2: they help you fix what ever is broken. Even changing a tire. # 3: they will leave thier Jeep to spot for you when ever you need it. These are great events. Got to meet a lot of other Jeepers that I would not have the chance to meet. I plan on doing Death Valley next year.
I'm happy that you enjoyed it.

So, now my take.

You bring up valid points but I will also point out that other events that cost way less provide the same comradery as the pricey JJ events. I go to a charity event (Cancer fundraiser) every year in VA. It costs $150 a Jeep and covers all people in your Jeep for the weekend, it has experienced trail guides, they will spot for you, they feed you one night, everyone jumps in to help someone in need and if it can't be fixed then and there, arrange for retrieval back to camp, provide camping spots. It's at a private estate that is only open to this one group for this event every year. It has great trails, that will test all abilities. You get 2 full days of solid wheeling in a very scenic location.

It's limited to 200 Jeeps, it sells out every year with a high percentage of returning Jeeps. A big charity raffle is held Saturday night right after dinner.

What am I trying to say here is that there are many regional events that offer all the amenities of Jeep Jamboree without the massive entry cost. I'm not saying don't go to JJ, what I am saying is do your do diligence, There are many local events that give you the same experience.

Jeep Jamboree has strayed from it's core mission. It's now a very commercialized event that charges top dollar. The entry requirements are being driven by the major sponsors.

My rant is over. As I have said before, You do You. Just let it be known there are many events that could be regional to you, at a better cost, where you can have the same or better experience.
Sponsored