Sponsored

Jeep Jamboree events, who's gone?

361Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubi. 2006 Liberty. 2003 Ram 2500 CTD, and a couple of Hogs.
I plan on hitting one or 2 up. Here on Long Island there is no public land to explore. the jamboree solves that problem. we are considering the winter Drummond island one to break in the jt.
Sponsored

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
So can you go to a jamboree with out participating? If so at what cost?

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I used to guide for jamborees and at camp Jeep.
If you’re new to wheeling they are lots of fun. You’ll likely meet people who have been to all of them.

Archie Bunker

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I plan on hitting one or 2 up. Here on Long Island there is no public land to explore. the jamboree solves that problem. we are considering the winter Drummond island one to break in the jt.
I am signed on for the Drummond Island one. Went last year on the inaugural event. Had a blast.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
My wife and I went to the one in Palo Duro Canyon a few years back. We had to leave after the first day due to a family medical emergency, but found that the participants and staff were nice and helpful folks. That said, it was not really our cup of tea. There were trails that were designed to push your Jeep to its limits (and perhaps beyond), but that did not cover a lot of ground. In essence, we were on a series of trails in a fairly confined space. I guess I am more of an overlander. I want to see neat stuff, even if it hard to get there. I don’t want to spend my day intent on the next few feet in front of me sweating the line I am going to take. The tie rod end on my LJ’s front track bar broke early on and they were able to use my winch line and a ratchet strap to get my axle held in place while I crawled to a parts cache they had in the canyon, where I harvested a used tie rod end off of something and it fit. After swapping it out, I finished the day. I share the concern as to whether a Gladiator would make it on some of the trails. My LJ has a 4.5 lift and 33s and the Body Armor rear bumper was scraping rocks on multiple occasions. It would be a true test for that little rock rail they put on the back of the Glad. Tight turns would be an issue too. I would say if you like rock crawling, use your Gladiator to tow your crawling rig there and back.

Sponsored

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
I get that, but if you think of it more like a concert or festival where they feed you, the price makes more sense.
Nothing about $600-$1000 to ride trails makes sense. I don't care what the menu looks like or who's cooking it.

Disagree. I looked at an upcoming event and 975 bucks for a family to go Wheeling for 2 days with 6 meals provided is ridiculous.

But I have no problem finding trails to conquer on my own so I'll let those who wanna pay to play have fun
I'm with you. $1000 will put you in a nice hotel for the weekend, buy your trail pass for the place of your choice, put gas in the tank and food in your belly with money left over. If it wasn't the "Jeep" Jamboree it would cost half that much.

I got talked into attending one several years ago. Not my thing. Too many people in a group, so very slow going, not many trails get done. Plus, the guides try to spot you over every little obstacle, taking the fun out of wheeling. Some people enjoy them though.
This is me. I like small groups and if I need a spotter I'll ask.

To each their own though. If you want to spend your money on sitting in traffic why not just pick a toll road? At least there is a place to pull over and buy gas.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Nothing about $600-$1000 to ride trails makes sense. I don't care what the menu looks like or who's cooking it.

I'm with you. $1000 will put you in a nice hotel for the weekend, buy your trail pass for the place of your choice, put gas in the tank and food in your belly with money left over. If it wasn't the "Jeep" Jamboree it would cost half that much.

This is me. I like small groups and if I need a spotter I'll ask.

To each their own though. If you want to spend your money on sitting in traffic why not just pick a toll road? At least there is a place to pull over and buy gas.
+1. At one time these type of events were free then entry fees of $20-30 started to pay for group permits and if you were from out of state that the event was being held the fees were waived. Since those times an enterprising group of people have found a way to make money from once was a group of people wanting to meet other like minded people.

I guess for some these events are called adventure, these could be the same people that call parking at a KOA park camping.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
Maybe you should add it doesn't make sense "to you."
What doesn't make sense to me is people online who put down other people's activities for no reason. This post has well laid out what a JJ is or is not, take it or leave it. My family 100% got $875 out of the long weekend.

The final thing I will add is what a JJ coordinator told me: the price point does keep the riff raff with busted up Jeeps out who historically tend to slow things down the most. In 2007 I did one where we spent half a day fixing one guys Jeep. Sure fixing Jeeps is part of the fun but not half the day.

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
What doesn't make sense to me is people online who put down other people's activities for no reason. This post has well laid out what a JJ is or is not, take it or leave it. My family 100% got $875 out of the long weekend.

The final thing I will add is what a JJ coordinator told me: the price point does keep the riff raff with busted up Jeeps out who historically tend to slow things down the most. In 2007 I did one where we spent half a day fixing one guys Jeep. Sure fixing Jeeps is part of the fun but not half the day.
So they charge a premium to only get snobby elites. got it. that makes sense.

MrJeep

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Rubicon, 2020 Gobi JT Overland
In the 4 I went to on the east coast there were a few people who had some money, sure (towed a Jeep behind an Escalade, etc.), but not one person I would call "snobby." All were Jeep people, through and through: people that would get under some else's Jeep in the mud to help hold a track bar, etc.

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
What doesn't make sense to me is people online who put down other people's activities for no reason.
Fair enough but I wasn't putting down anyone's activities. Like I said, to each their own.

The final thing I will add is what a JJ coordinator told me: the price point does keep the riff raff with busted up Jeeps out who historically tend to slow things down the most.
This statement proves the one below it.

Take the JEEP name out of it and the price is less then half of that.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.

So they want a shirt and tie event or an event full of youtuber`s who`s Jeep is loaded with free parts? Well those Jeeps break also. The busted up looking Jeep might be more capable than the garage queen.

CarolinaGladiator

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 High Velocity JTR
It's all about money, we all know that. Some people just like to try and disguise it. "Keeping the riffraff out" is bullshit. Anyone can save money and anyone's Jeep can break. New shit breaks all the time. The guy that said that was just an uppity prick. The Jamboree here in NC is held at Uwharrie National Forrest. The trail system is open 24/7 from mid-April to mid-December to anyone with $5. Jeep doesn't contribute to the upkeep of the trail system. Volunteers do the work, the Feds pony up some cash here and there and the rest is done by folks paying to ride. This year the Jamboree people spent some time on a private property riding trails that most folks don't ride on. It's not that they can't, it's just that The Farm charges to ride. That's fine, nobody has a problem with it. From time to time the locals will pay to ride there as well, they put on a 4x4 driving school, cookouts that kind of stuff. It's a great place. For WAY less than the JJ anyone can do the same thing at any other time of the year. There won't be vendors or seminars but there will be good people riding trails and helping each other whenever it's needed.

The JJ is a money making business. It's no different than Daytona's Bike Week or anything else that makes a profit off of people that like hanging out together. If that's your thing, good for you, enjoy yourself!
Sponsored