Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They'd need new axles for that. My GAWR combined is 6850 lbs. The gross vehicle rating (gvwr) is just a reflection of the weakest link. The axles would be the weakest link throwing on 800 lbs of 4xe equipment. My GVWR is 6250, so 800 extra pounds and maxing out the axles would mean my payload would drop 200 lbs. Still better than a tacoma though.

Your electric range cost comparison also needs to include cost of maintenance along with a multiplier for renewables. If you have solar panels that will shift the cost around. Diesels take more maintenance and require DEF while electric motors don't even need oil changes. Regardless, you make a great point that the electricity isn't very beneficial.

For me, adding 800 lbs is too compromising off road. It'll make every obstacle that much harder, put more stress on every component, and add new modes of failure.
Very excellent point about the GAWR. That lends even more credibility to the idea that Jeep will likely have no choice but to significantly reduce payload and towing numbers on the 4xe. It's really going to be interesting to see how they handle this. Or maybe they'll do what Ford always does and sprinkle magic fairy dust on their suspension and increase all the max numbers without changing a single part.

Electric motors don't get oil changes, they get new brushes periodically which is even more expensive. My father is a forklift mechanic and a huge chunk of the machines he has to repair daily are the electric ones. They're just as problematic as the fossil fuel powered ones if not more so. On the electric machines, motors fail, wiring gets cut, connections become corroded, batteries are constantly coming up with bad cells and need replacements, etc. Electric doesn't solve any issues.

I'm not following you on the payload issue. If your GVWR is 6,250 right now then your payload is in the 1,000ish ballpark, right? If you put 800 lbs. on your truck then your payload would drop TO 200 lbs. remaining. Is that what you meant to type? I think this illustrates the dilemma that Jeep has on their hands. You can only play with numbers so long until hardware has to start changing.
Sponsored

Firestarter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon
my payload is 1221 lbs, but if Jeep maximized the total capacity of each part they could only raise it 600 lbs. so adding 800 pounds would drop payload on a truck to 1000 pounds or less without using different axles. So I think you’re right that they’d have to go more extreme than on the JL if they want to keep truck capacities.

I wasn’t saying you change the oil on an electric motor. I was saying you don’t which makes it a little bit cheaper. I doubt they’d use a brushed motor though. Brushless DC motors are industry standard for propulsion and control the magnetic field via an electronic controller.

Very excellent point about the GAWR. That lends even more credibility to the idea that Jeep will likely have no choice but to significantly reduce payload and towing numbers on the 4xe. It's really going to be interesting to see how they handle this. Or maybe they'll do what Ford always does and sprinkle magic fairy dust on their suspension and increase all the max numbers without changing a single part.

Electric motors don't get oil changes, they get new brushes periodically which is even more expensive. My father is a forklift mechanic and a huge chunk of the machines he has to repair daily are the electric ones. They're just as problematic as the fossil fuel powered ones if not more so. On the electric machines, motors fail, wiring gets cut, connections become corroded, batteries are constantly coming up with bad cells and need replacements, etc. Electric doesn't solve any issues.

I'm not following you on the payload issue. If your GVWR is 6,250 right now then your payload is in the 1,000ish ballpark, right? If you put 800 lbs. on your truck then your payload would drop TO 200 lbs. remaining. Is that what you meant to type? I think this illustrates the dilemma that Jeep has on their hands. You can only play with numbers so long until hardware has to start changing.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of the all-electric 2013 Nissan Leaf's. The only suggested maintenance on it is a full change of the brake fluid every few years. In the six years I have owned it, I did that one time. The only other maintenance it has needed is a 12v starting battery and wiper blade replacements, and a new cellular modem (2G support dropped by AT&T). The main battery pack was replaced under warranty in October 2017 ($5k value), which greatly extended the useable life of the car.

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
If they can do this with a Rivian with today’s tech, they will be able to make the gladiator a monster.

once battery tech catches up, it is over for the internal combustion engine. If Jeep/Fiat is smart they could patent a solid axle with Portal Hybrid electric motors. Remember the weight of the motor is gone in all electric vehicles and instantaneous torque is sick. The proposed New Sodium Glass Batteries Will weigh 2/3rds less (size is 2:3rds less) than lithium ion with full charge in minutes and max miles per charge around 1000miles.

The Rivian right now with current lithium ion batteries:

“Ground clearance is generous at 14.5 inches. The R1T also promises quick acceleration with a sprint to 60 mph in as quick as 3.0 seconds.

180 kWh battery can have up to 750 hp and 829 lb-ft of torque. Rivian claims that on a single charge, the R1T can travel over 400 miles when equipped with the largest battery.

When properly equipped, the 2021 Rivian R1T can tow up to 11,000 pounds, while the maximum payload is 1,760 pounds.”

The Rivian gross vehicle weight is under 6000 pounds. They just tested it on brutal 13,000 mile trip.

That is the facts right there and the release is June 2021 for the Rivian.

AND, all the neigh sayers on here keep saying it can’t be done with the Gladiator. Do some research, we will have the cake and eat the shit out of that thing with an all electric sodium battery powered, 4 motor , Hybrid portal axle Monster!

The 4XE is just a start.
Sponsored