Jeep Reliability?

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
i pretend to forget something, look back, and then reach in my pocket or make a visible "oh there it is on me" face. i'll even add a light chuckle sometimes to sell it. or the look back to lock even though i locked it when getting out
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on the Tacoma Forum too, and have owned five Tacomas since 1998 and had no issues except for one radio and one broken spring, plus the fuel pump recall on my 2018 TRD Pro. I'm researching Gladiators because they have attributes more like the early Tacomas (manual transfer case, skid plates, winch bumper, MT). I'd like to avoid one of the lemon Gladiators, but it's just a crap shoot. I assume that statistics are on my side. I also owned a 1953 M38 A-1 military jeep with a Buick V-6, and a 1973 CJ-5 that I bought new for $3400.00! I had the CJ for 15 years and used it for field work throughout the Southwest with no issues. I hope that a new Gladiator will be as reliable as those two.
Bought my Gladiator November 2019. It's a 2020 model year truck. It's now got just a few miles short of 24,000 miles on it. No mechanical break-downs, engine is smooth as silk, quiet, no misfires, drives and handles great (after the steering gear fix per technical service bulletin)
It's mechanically sound, comfortable, no leaks, no squeaks, no odd sounds, electronics work (although bluetooth phone stuff is weird at times), no vibrations, no shimmy, no wander, brakes work fine, no over-heating. There's little things I "wish were different" but I've not had a car or truck I couldn't find SOME little thing to complain about or wish was different.
We've had similar good luck with all of our Jeeps since my first one in 1987. Except for a couple of years, we've had a Jeep of one model or another since that time. Nothing major.

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Many of you are current/former Jeep owners. Any truth to the rumors of poor reliability in Jeeps? I've always heard they are horribly unreliable and general money pits (repair not mods) but I don't think I've ever heard it from an actual jeep person. Over 10 years I would probably put about 50k max on a vehicle and would hope to not have anything more than normal maintenance unless it was something I broke. Is that realistic?

In searching the web I came across the likes of this over and over:

Anyone who buys a Jeep Wrangler should know what they’re getting into. Sure, it delivers a timeless look and ability to charge off-road in most conditions. But it scores poorly on reliability in just about every survey. You’ll deal with excessive wind noise, rattles, squeaks, and other irritations, especially during highway travel. In the J.D. Power dependability study for 2017, owners called out these and other ride issues.

That's not dependability or reliability at all in my book. That's buying the wrong vehicle. The infotainment system being glitchy or a mystery rattle isn't a concern for me. Having to replace the transmission or engine at 50k miles is more the type of concern I have.

I have read over the steering, AC and the the few other issues posted here.
My opinion: Jeeps (YJ, JK, JL, JT, etc.) are the most reliable vehicles for what they were built for. You want a vehicle that will last 400,000k without a major repair...try Toyota or Honda...but they aren't going to be more reliable than the Jeep in its environment.

BUZZHEAD

First Name
BOB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICAN GLADIATOR ,2016 HD SLIMS
Occupation
WEED PULLER
Started buying jeeps in 1989 JEEP COMMANCHE P/UP 210,000 MILES with no issues
Five wranglers prior to purchasing this awesome truck.
Wont buy anything else for what I use them for .

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
I’ve owned many Jeeps and only issues I’ve had are the crank position sensor (on a Comanche with 180,000 miles). Then just the other typical axle breakage beating them off road and with my XJ’s I had two with eventual exhaust manifold leaks.
All else? Dead flat reliable. I’ve owned Toyota, Lexus, Ford (only issue with them F-350’s, was transmission after adding power to the diesel), Mazda (electrical issues, windows not working, rear power hatch not working, wind noise at b pillar… hate them.

As to wind noise and ride quality? That has tremendously improved with this latest iteration of the Wrangler JL and the Gladiator JT.

my JT has no issues after 65,000 miles (knock on wood!).

Sponsored

Slojo

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK Unlimited X, 2011 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Colorado Z 71
i pretend to forget something, look back, and then reach in my pocket or make a visible "oh there it is on me" face. i'll even add a light chuckle sometimes to sell it. or the look back to lock even though i locked it when getting out
I don't have to fake it. I do forget things!

Rares

First Name
Rares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Jeep is not as reliable as a Toyota (see consumer reports) but is way more fun. My visor and tailgate lock broke down în the first year, but where else can you find a convertible pickup? The build quality feels cheap but hopefully the powertrain is solid.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How about anything OTHER than consumer reports? I stopped trusting them years ago after I could personally show things they were wrong and biased on.

I go by complaints on NHTSA's site, and the recalls and TSBs out there. If there are major issues, it will show up there. (and Toyota is doing pretty well, but not without certain issues)

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Jeeps, at least the body on frame ones, and XJs and WJs, are reliable, once the bugs are worked out. There are plenty old to ancient ones still used as daily drivers. But sometimes, especially when a new model comes out, they take a few trips to the dealer to work out the kinks. Once it's got a few years under its belt, should be good to go. Never owned a Toyota, but I've owned Hondas, which have the same reputation. They seem to just be set it and forget it. I'm sure there are exceptions though.

4S50

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sportsman of Leisure
72,000 miles of towing, wheeling, and overall smiles and no issues here. My service 4wd light still comes on, but it does not appear to actually indicate a problem.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps, at least the body on frame ones, and XJs and WJs, are reliable, once the bugs are worked out. There are plenty old to ancient ones still used as daily drivers. But sometimes, especially when a new model comes out, they take a few trips to the dealer to work out the kinks. Once it's got a few years under its belt, should be good to go. Never owned a Toyota, but I've owned Hondas, which have the same reputation. They seem to just be set it and forget it. I'm sure there are exceptions though.
WJs were crazy reliable. I sort of wish I still had mine. Yeah it had the typical wire breaks where the driver door hinges are - the wires in that bundle get hold and hard and break causing power locks and maybe something else to not work in that door but that's an easy fix and usually happened only with many years and many miles. Rear wipers could be a problem after 100,000 miles. Engine problems were rare. There's a whole lot of WJs still on the road in Iowa which is interesting because of our salt and winter treatments but then when you look closely, the rocker panels are going or gone. I had rocker panels replaced due to minor pin holes forming and slight bubbling at about 124,000 miles or so in 2020.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
How about anything OTHER than consumer reports? I stopped trusting them years ago after I could personally show things they were wrong and biased on.

I go by complaints on NHTSA's site, and the recalls and TSBs out there. If there are major issues, it will show up there. (and Toyota is doing pretty well, but not without certain issues)
I have a 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro and have had one recall (fuel pump) and a TSB for leaking cab brake light (I've had 5 Tacomas since 1999). I am looking at Gladiator because its attributes are more like the old Tacoma including a manual transfer case, full skid plates, larger tire size, winch bumper (plastic on Tacomas). I've owned two jeeps in the past (1953 M38-A1, and 73 CJ-5) and had little trouble with them. And yes Consumer Reports are ridiculous. Tacomas are rated below Honda Ridgelines because "they ride like a truck". The review was by a woman who had no experience off-roading.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 Tacoma TRD Pro and have had one recall (fuel pump) and a TSB for leaking cab brake light (I've had 5 Tacomas since 1999). I am looking at Gladiator because its attributes are more like the old Tacoma including a manual transfer case, full skid plates, larger tire size, winch bumper (plastic on Tacomas). I've owned two jeeps in the past (1953 M38-A1, and 73 CJ-5) and had little trouble with them. And yes Consumer Reports are ridiculous. Tacomas are rated below Honda Ridgelines because "they ride like a truck". The review was by a woman who had no experience off-roading.
There is one recall - fuel pump as I recall - for 2021 Tacoma, a number of complaints (some I take as people that don't get it or will gripe about anything less than perfect) and a number of communications to dealers but even some of those are "we are investigating" which I take as a positive thing in a way as it implies they may see a problem and are gathering information.
I bought a truck, I don't expect it to ride or handle like a Corvette.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
On my 4th Jeep now, never been stranded (yet). Only one time for TSB (WK2 Cruise Control). Pretty uneventful and I hope it stays that way.

montechie

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Writer of code, designer of things
Everytime some fool comments "You bought a Fiat. Garbage." on one of my YouTube videos I want to punch them in the throat. Are people really that stupid?
I never got the Fiat dig either. I've only had good experience with my Jeeps, but its not like Chrysler didn't ever produce junk on their own.

For the OP, my individual experience:
'88 XJ that I bought at 250K miles and ran until 300K on original I6 and auto-transmission: no break downs, lots of trails though. I did have the original alternator and fuel injectors need replacing at 300K.
'05 LJ Rubicon (auto-trans/I6): Bought new, we have it now at 125K miles, a few recalls that never applied to our jeep, one warranty service the 1st year on the cam shaft sensor. I've ran it lots starting in sub-zero (F) temps, on cross-country trips, in the backcountry and it has never failed me. This past year we had to replace some sensors (cam shaft, O2) and the map harness, but had ample warning via engine codes and no failures. The only asshat thing from Jeep is the gas overflow valve that didn't handle ethanol, despite the rest of the vehicle being fine with ethanol. Jeep never recalled this faulty part and stopped selling replacements only a few years after production. I had to fix it with a GM part. This is the only vehicle with 4 wheels that my wife and I ever wanted to keep forever.
'22 JT on order (10 more days!): Replacing a '17 Tacoma.

I've owned several Fords, some Toyotas, and a Subaru. With my limited experience, the Tacoma and Forester had more serious failures than my Jeeps and Fords although I mostly enjoyed driving them all. The Taco and Forester were early in their generations, which is why I waited on the JT until it's been out a bit plus the fact it largely uses parts that have been in the JL for awhile. My Tacoma experienced the bad shift actuator problem on the t-case and my Forester has vampire energy drains that will drain the battery in cold weather if left for a couple of days. I've had 4 friends with failed 3rd gen Tacoma transmissions (AT and manual), one after a month and none of them modded. I think being brand loyal for reliability, or completely trusting Consumer Reports/JD Power for reliability ratings is a fools errand unfortunately. If you want reliable, buy the model that's been out the longest, like the previous Tundra or Nissan Frontier.
Sponsored