First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Hydro Blue
Occupation
👍🏼
This is what I opted for. That being said I dont have any major concerns about the rig. Any vehicle can have any problem especially with more added and anvanced systems. But I dont worry about this vehicle any more than I would with a different new vehicle, and worry is less than my old diesel that I sold. The truck I sold was awesome but old enough where parts were no longer made and hard to find. This is new and should last, with maintenance, just as long as the old truck - 20 years and 250K miles - unless the good ol government forces us to relinquish internal combustion engines...but thats a different topic. My '06 TJ has by far been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and it's still going strong. To me, Jeeps have been very reliable and relatively trouble free. We'll see how this one holds up with all the new electronics, but any new vehicle will have just as many complexities.
That has a bulletproof straight 6.. kinda like my most reliable vehicle has been my 96 Cherokee XJ with the same motor. Not sure I have quite as much confidence in the the Pentastar.. fingers crossed
Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
That has a bulletproof straight 6.. kinda like my most reliable vehicle has been my 96 Cherokee XJ with the same motor. Not sure I have quite as much confidence in the the Pentastar.. fingers crossed
There is more to a vehicle than just the engine. Sure the engine is important, but is it really any 'more' important than anything else? The transmission is critical also. Along with the computer systems, and quality of the Fram, or other electrical parts. The wrangler has been out a while. The 3.6 has also been out for a while. No vehicle is perfect but I am holding hope that it has been around already long enough that folks either know now what the problems needed to be fixed are or those problems are resolved and its stout. The frame, though different, is the same idea as my old TJ so the functionality is the same. We have several government trucks that are chevy 1500's and ram 1500's and others of course. the chevy and ram's have all had major issues and been in the shop many times killing our ability to be functional at work. The problem? Fuel pumps....or fuel pump relay - or something in that arena, the tech's and manufacturer can't even figure out the source of the issue. So I lean back on my main point in that, is there really much weight in worrying about the JT any more than any other vehicle? Anything can fail. but I think they have been around at least long enough to be 'reliable' 95% of the time

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You do realize there have been more than a million Pentastar engines produced, there are thousands of them out there with 100,000 miles, even 200,000 miles.....
Yes, the 3.6 has more complexities and some of the issues that go with complex systems, variable valve timing, variable valve lift, electronic and electro-hydraulic systems that go along with each, but for the base engine itself, the added complexities needed to navigate EPA and other rules aside, is very solid. It can be turbo-charged, super-charged, and it's running pretty high compression. I think if FCA were to "copy" or "steal" some of the tech used on LS engines, they'd have an extremely solid engine that resisted breaking even more.
Car makers have been forced to lighten up - engines included, and to get HP and MPG out of an engine means not just shedding weight, but winding up tighter. The 4.0 was a great engine, solid, and it is actually legendary even among non-Jeep fans - over 800 HP has been squeezed out of them, but the basic 4.0 ran a fraction of the RPM the 3.6 is made to operate at to get the HP and torque numbers required today. You were winding up really tight at 4,000 RPM but that's nothing on a modern engine like the 3.6. I saw 3,300 and 4,300 RPM on many hills when towing. I'd have been very nervous if my 4.0 would up that tight for the times the 3.6 did.
Don't get me wrong - I have had several 4.0 engines, I currently run one that's slightly "built" in my SX4 and I abuse it - but not at the RPMs a 3.6 can handle. With higher RPM come other issues, and more wear. the 4.0 lasted in part because the pistons didn't run up and down along the cylinder walls nearly as much as other engines saw for the same 100,000 miles. Fewer rotations, fewer strokes, much less wear and friction.

Long strokes, tall decks (and thus tall engines) gave you tall torque and less wear.

PsyRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 StingGray JTR, 2016 Bonneville T120 Black
2020 JTR bought new in March 2020. 24k miles. no mechanical issues at all. did have an electrical issue early on that got sorted. Turned out some relay was letting a surge through to the fuse board under the hood. it fried the board each time. happened a couple of times before the dealership could figure out what was going on with it. both times fixed under warranty. Hasn't happened since.

Sponsored

coreoski

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Test Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
2021 sport s. 11k miles and so far leaking axle seal and a tapping from the engine that I can already tell is going to be a long saga.
Had engine tapping at 37k - ended up needing a new camshaft/rockers/lifters. Definitely get it sorted out as quickly as you can! I think I narrowly avoided disaster.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Had engine tapping at 37k - ended up needing a new camshaft/rockers/lifters. Definitely get it sorted out as quickly as you can! I think I narrowly avoided disaster.
Dealership said they couldn't recreate so unfortunately I think I'm going to have to wait until it's undeniable.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How do they update the part and people are still having issues with their top end though?
What MODEL year and/or build date? Are any of these 2022 model year or built in the last weeks of the 2021 model year?
IF so, then they haven't come to the point of updated parts.
Most of what I've seen have been 2020 model year, maybe there's some 2021 models?
No 2022 yet?
If no one has had a cam failure with a late 2021 or a 2022 model then maybe they do have it fixed.

coreoski

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Test Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
What MODEL year and/or build date? Are any of these 2022 model year or built in the last weeks of the 2021 model year?
Most of what I've seen have been 2020 model year, maybe there's some 2021 models?
No 2022 yet?
If no one has had a cam failure with a late 2021 or a 2022 model then maybe they do have it fixed.
Yup I bet you're right, mines a 2020 - built in oct 2019.

Sponsored

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No 2022 yet?
Mine was built in April 21. Sport s

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
No 2022 yet?
I may have misunderstood your post but in the lawsuit thread we were discussing why the gladiator was not listed under the suit. I thought the pics you posted showed a new rocker design no?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I may have misunderstood your post but in the lawsuit thread we were discussing why the gladiator was not listed under the suit. I thought the pics you posted showed a new rocker design no?
Same design that's been used in Wranglers at least as late as 2019. The Gladiator would, or should have, the same thing. The design was last changed for 2016 model year.
The lawsuit covers both non VVL and VVL cam and lifter designs.
The 2020 Gladiator has the same design that is listed as being bad...........
I have no idea why the gladiator isn't listed since it's the same as the 2019 Wrangler that is listed. Gladiator didn't get a different design. MAYBE slightly different specs as far as total lift, etc. but the same design.
The failure on Dave's 2020 model are the same as shown on Wranglers the year before.

glassjawkid32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Same design that's been used in Wranglers at least as late as 2019. The Gladiator would, or should have, the same thing. The design was last changed for 2016 model year.
The lawsuit covers both non VVL and VVL cam and lifter designs.
The 2020 Gladiator has the same design that is listed as being bad...........
I have no idea why the gladiator isn't listed since it's the same as the 2019 Wrangler that is listed. Gladiator didn't get a different design. MAYBE slightly different specs as far as total lift, etc. but the same design.
The failure on Dave's 2020 model are the same as shown on Wranglers the year before.
Ok that makes sense. I know I've got it but it doesn't seem to get any worse so it's going to take awhile to get mine sorted out.
Sponsored