Vehicle Showcase

porsharman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
Your choice. Believe what you wish. The proof otherwise is out there if you open the mind. (and look in the correct places)
Sorry I based my opinion on my experience not what I read from all the “experts”. If I listened to all the “experts” I would never get out of bed in the morning. No one I know that buys a Jeep worries about fuel economy so the start/ stop function becomes more of an annoyance than a valuable feature. That was my only point. 😊

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Sorry I based my opinion on my experience not what I read from all the “experts”. If I listened to all the “experts” I would never get out of bed in the morning. No one I know that buys a Jeep worries about fuel economy so the start/ stop function becomes more of an annoyance than a valuable feature. That was my only point. 😊
Jeep didn't do it for us... they did it for themselves... for their Corporate Average Fuel Economy numbers - that the Govt. is making more restrictive all the time. If they can think of a way to eek out 1-2 more MPG from any particular vehicle, you better believe they'll do it - no matter how much it raises the cost or lowers the reliability (to a point). If doing stuff like that (and producing EVs) enables them to continue to produce vehicles like this, then that's a fair trade-off. I just wish they had put that stupid aux. battery in a more easily accessible location given how often it fails.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

So, hate something simply because "it's annoying" but can't say what's annoying about it?
Does it prevent getting from A to B? Does it prevent stopping at lights, passing someone, parking? Or does it simply piss you off because it's there and you didn't want it?
Annoying - half of the world is annoying if you base it on the criteria that people base this thing on.
I simply ignore it and let it work. Some of the issue is how people treat today's vehicles - like something from 1990. Short drives, sitting 3 and 4 days at a time....... can't do that. (and even then it eventually destroyed vehicles)
IT does nothing to annoy us. We stop, it stops, I see the light about to turn or traffic clearing so I can go, I ease up the brake pedal, it starts, light hits green, I GO. No lag, good reaction time. What's to annoy?

Jeep didn't do it for us... they did it for themselves... for their Corporate Average Fuel Economy numbers - that the Govt. is making more restrictive all the time. If they can think of a way to eek out 1-2 more MPG from any particular vehicle, you better believe they'll do it - no matter how much it raises the cost or lowers the reliability (to a point). If doing stuff like that (and producing EVs) enables them to continue to produce vehicles like this, then that's a fair trade-off. I just wish they had put that stupid aux. battery in a more easily accessible location given how often it fails.
Both batteries fail. If you hit other forums, you'll see the consensus is that "Jeep batteries suck" and they are talking both batteries, all Jeeps. The instances of the main failing are almost as great as the aux failing. And the little battery gets blamed for everything from global cooling (or was it global warming? Maybe it caused hurricane Ian) mostly because of a lack of understanding and internet lore.
A number of members here jumped in saying their MAIN battery is what failed first. Hmmm, likely the truth out there in a lot of cases.

Jeep must have some deal with some battery maker to put out millions of "get us by for 3 years" batteries. It seems it's an issue with any Jeep. On the other hand, my son said his Ford had battery issues as well and Ford told him "we see this a lot" and they replaced his battery free. So is it Jeep?
People "getting stranded' is rare, and is most likely due to not understanding how to jump a vehicle in a number of those cases. People get in a rush, no on teaches proper methods so people just do it and jump in and damn, it still won't start.

Actually, Jeep owners did it - if not for methods of meeting CAFE such as the ESS, you could not own your precious Jeep Gladiator or Wrangler. Jeep would likely go bust because if you couldn't have it your way, you wouldn't buy it. So blame Jeep owners for not accepting the change that the world is going through because of the short-sightedness of the world as a whole.
People keep blaming "the government" as well - it's not so much the feds as CA, VA and EU.
By that I mean California, Virginia (which has very wisely passed laws that say they follow what CA does so they'll ban the sale of new ICE powered vehicles, too), and of course the EU which is banning this, that and the other thing in the name of - won't go there.
Jeep MUST sell in those states and the EU - all of which have far more restrictions than our own federal government. So blame them. If Jeep can't sell there, they fail and again, you lose your Jeep.

porsharman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great point. As long as you don’t use your Start/Stop function delete the auxiliary battery and be done with it. They can then stick that auxiliary battery in an area that’s even tougher to remove it from😉

porsharman

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, hate something simply because "it's annoying" but can't say what's annoying about it?
Does it prevent getting from A to B? Does it prevent stopping at lights, passing someone, parking? Or does it simply piss you off because it's there and you didn't want it?
Annoying - half of the world is annoying if you base it on the criteria that people base this thing on.
I simply ignore it and let it work. Some of the issue is how people treat today's vehicles - like something from 1990. Short drives, sitting 3 and 4 days at a time....... can't do that. (and even then it eventually destroyed vehicles)
IT does nothing to annoy us. We stop, it stops, I see the light about to turn or traffic clearing so I can go, I ease up the brake pedal, it starts, light hits green, I GO. No lag, good reaction time. What's to annoy?

Both batteries fail. If you hit other forums, you'll see the consensus is that "Jeep batteries suck" and they are talking both batteries, all Jeeps. The instances of the main failing are almost as great as the aux failing. And the little battery gets blamed for everything from global cooling (or was it global warming? Maybe it caused hurricane Ian) mostly because of a lack of understanding and internet lore.
A number of members here jumped in saying their MAIN battery is what failed first. Hmmm, likely the truth out there in a lot of cases.

Jeep must have some deal with some battery maker to put out millions of "get us by for 3 years" batteries. It seems it's an issue with any Jeep. On the other hand, my son said his Ford had battery issues as well and Ford told him "we see this a lot" and they replaced his battery free. So is it Jeep?
People "getting stranded' is rare, and is most likely due to not understanding how to jump a vehicle in a number of those cases. People get in a rush, no on teaches proper methods so people just do it and jump in and damn, it still won't start.

Actually, Jeep owners did it - if not for methods of meeting CAFE such as the ESS, you could not own your precious Jeep Gladiator or Wrangler. Jeep would likely go bust because if you couldn't have it your way, you wouldn't buy it. So blame Jeep owners for not accepting the change that the world is going through because of the short-sightedness of the world as a whole.
People keep blaming "the government" as well - it's not so much the feds as CA, VA and EU.
By that I mean California, Virginia (which has very wisely passed laws that say they follow what CA does so they'll ban the sale of new ICE powered vehicles, too), and of course the EU which is banning this, that and the other thing in the name of - won't go there.
Jeep MUST sell in those states and the EU - all of which have far more restrictions than our own federal government. So blame them. If Jeep can't sell there, they fail and again, you lose your Jeep.
Hey calm down. I didn’t mean to cause you to have a melt down and I never mentioned I hated anything. I was only stating what has been my experience which is that the auxiliary battery seems to be problem. I have a TJ and have never had a premature battery issue. I’m glad it doesn’t have an auxiliary battery. We all realize a battery is a replacement item and will last a good long time but this auxiliary battery seems to fail at a higher rate. Raven65 makes a great point to what the motivation is regarding squeezing out every MPG. Manufacturers are not motivated by helping consumers but rather by governmental entities. If we left it up to manufacturers we would be getting 10 mpg but I’m sure we would be getting from point A to B a lot faster.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Both batteries fail. If you hit other forums, you'll see the consensus is that "Jeep batteries suck" and they are talking both batteries, all Jeeps. The instances of the main failing are almost as great as the aux failing.
Yes, I agree... but the general consensus seems to be that the aux battery fails first (and more often) and then proceeds to kill the main battery. That may be pure speculation on most peoples' part... I don't know... but regardless, I still wish they'd put the aux battery in a more accessible place given how often it has to be replaced. I've only had my Gladiator a few months, so I haven't had any failures yet, but I'll keep the aux battery as long as it can be replaced for free under warranty at the dealership. As soon as my warranty expires, it's gone.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I still wish they'd put the aux battery in a more accessible place
Absolutely. It would make testing easier, charging easier, replacement easier.
It may even make it live longer with less heat as the CAT sits not far away from that location (and I don't mean Shadow or Yawnie or Pickle, either)

I have a "wondering" now that I have a 4xe in the garage (well, I don't, my wife does and I'm still envious but that's another topic)
The 4xe charges the 12v AGM battery via the HV (high voltage batteries).
Does that mean the 4xe in a sense has a built-in battery tender? Will that 12v battery live longer because it's constantly kept charged, even as it SITS? You can take a 4xe out camping in the woods and run your cooler off the 12v system and not worry about killing that 12v battery for a long time.
Time will tell.......... but even the 4xe people saw the 12v batteries from Jeep "are junk" and that's a quote.

I'm just wary of the "consensus" from the 'web" because sometimes it's based on what people say without any research or background or understanding of how things work when they say it. Is that REALLY what happened? Or was it simply because of their combination of use and events and made it appear that way so there was a lot of assuming?
We'll likely never know.......... because it's already set in stone and even if there was research and proof that that thinking was incorrect, there's no changing minds once it's out there.

Sponsored

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely. It would make testing easier, charging easier, replacement easier.
It may even make it live longer with less heat as the CAT sits not far away from that location (and I don't mean Shadow or Yawnie or Pickle, either)

I'm just wary of the "consensus" from the 'web" because sometimes it's based on what people say without any research or background or understanding of how things work when they say it. Is that REALLY what happened? Or was it simply because of their combination of use and events and made it appear that way so there was a lot of assuming?
We'll likely never know.......... because it's already set in stone and even if there was research and proof that that thinking was incorrect, there's no changing minds once it's out there.
Very true. I suppose it would be worth installing a pair of high-quality batteries the first time one/both of them die after the warranty expires just to see if they last any longer before ditching the aux battery & ESS. I guess I'll make that call when the time comes... IF I even keep the vehicle beyond the warranty period. That will depend on my experience with the vehicle up to that point. If it gives me a lot of trouble during the warranty period, I'll likely sell/trade it just before the warranty is up. This is my first Jeep/FCA product, so the jury is out. We shall see. Hopefully I got a "good one" because I'm really enjoying it so far.

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I agree, but also disagree with you. Gov shouldn't be involved at all. As many have pointed out, nobody is buying a Jeep to have to keep hitting the stupid button just to relieve stress on the vehicle and gain 2mpg.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree, but also disagree with you. Gov shouldn't be involved at all. As many have pointed out, nobody is buying a Jeep to have to keep hitting the stupid button just to relieve stress on the vehicle and gain 2mpg.
I wasn't saying the Govt should be involved... only that they are. They have been ever since the automobile was invented and they will be until the next extinction event. We don't have to like it, but those are the facts of the matter.
Sponsored