Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Of your list of stuff to do, you should be able to do most of them easily and save yourself $ plus become more knowledgeable about the vehicle. When using U-tube videos as reference try checking out like Q-Tec and others on same mods some are not top notch advise. :like:
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, I have jotted down the following items to add, or replace, the stock parts of my JTO.
  1. Hothead headliner
  2. Hood Cover bed reflector (may wait to swap hood)
  3. Start-X Remote Start
  4. short or stubby bumper
  5. Tubular Doors (for summer)
  6. Larger tires (not sure what kind but want 35's)
  7. Small lift 2-2.5". Not sure what kind (full suspension vs. spacer lift)
  8. Gladiator decals for hood and bed Vortexsigns.com (may wait to swap hood)
  9. 813 Fabrications kit and ARB Air Compressor behind the seat install
  10. New hood (no specific model picked out yet)
  11. Tonneau cover (want a hard cover, but they cost so much)
Iā€™m not the most mechanically inclined person: I have swapped bumpers and grilles numerous times; it is easy. If I can do it, you can do it.

Looking at your list:
  1. I installed the Mopar headliner; it was easy. I suspect Hotheads is about the same
  2. Not sure what that is
  3. Iā€™d go to an audio shop for that
  4. Easy peasy. Bumpers bolt off and on
  5. Never done it but I doubt it is that difficult
  6. I just go to Discount Tire for that. In fact I just did: they gave me 50% for my 33ā€ KO2s as credit towards a set of 35ā€ Generals. They take care of all balancing, rotations and repairs for free. And because they are up and down the Western US I can travel knowing that no matter where I am there will be one of their stores nearby to take care of things
  7. Jeep dealers around here have a special going on: Mopar 2ā€ lift for $2,000, installed. I had my local dealer do it
  8. I can install text decals, like the 20-inch decal I have on my hood. Large decals that black out entire sections of the hood are beyond my pay grade. I go to a vinyl wrapper for that
  9. Iā€™d have it installed
  10. I like my clean, classic Jeep hood
  11. No need for it

OP
OP
Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
[Sorry for the long note - I bolded the items I would add so you could skip the editorial content :facepalm:]
Depends - if you are going to use off road then consider tires first (or tires and lift). If you are staying mostly on road then I'd look to a Tazer Mini (or one of the alternatives- there are threads but I only seem to find those at 3am) to make some usability adjustments like sticking your stop start status, alarming the hood, lighting etc. I've been modding my LR Discovery for years and am waiting on delivery for my new 6MT Rubicon. You should address your primary needs. here is how I went about thinking this through:

My first mods are being done at the dealership mostly because I want them covered under warranty/financing etc and I don't have tools for these kinds of things: Mopar 2in lift, 35s, wheels and a smittybilt xrc gen2 bumper for my winch. I'll move over my 10K Smittybilt X2O winch that is currently on my landrover by myself and most mods I expect to make after that don't require airtools or a lift bay. I've got the following list to work on:
- Tazer Mini
- Ball mount for a Ram phone holder - i don't plan on a ton of dash mounted accessories (like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B85B9XY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1V7K390MMOUY3&psc=1
- Lockable rear seat storage (definitely doing something DIY)
- Locking hood catches or hood pins (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKJ5P8R/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=A3A7QZT98J4YCQ&psc=1
- New dashcam (my current one is fine and installed well so not sure i want to take it out of the Rover). I've had great experience with Rexing and I would probably put in something like: https://www.amazon.com/Rexing-Generation-Supercapacitor-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B07FCSMJZB/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=QG3W961MTCTF&dchild=1&keywords=rexing+dash+cam&qid=1609265679&s=electronics&sprefix=rexing,electronics,203&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1&smid=A6UEJTLUY290N&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyR1o3U0pSREJLUEs1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjcwMTEzMlJST00zOVI3ODJFUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDc3NTUzMUhPV0RCNE0yU0Q2RyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
- Passenger door rain visors so I can keep the windows cracked with interior dry - sucks in MN if you forget and then it blizzards 3 inches in your back seat...

I would consider the above items "must haves" - but I already got the LEDs, a factory bed liner (which you already did) and a roll up toneau cover to keep stuff in the bed mostly dry and out of sight while giving me some instant flexibility for Home Depot shit... If I hadn't ordered these I would probably looking at addressing these as part of my early upgrades. Think about where you will store valuables in the bed too... I won't be storing any valuables in the bed unless/until i have a lockable storage box that I can chain lock to the bed or until I have a more permanent cover - looking at RSI Smart Cap or possibly the GoFastCamper but that is $$$ and I'm not sure I need to carry a roof top tent permanently as this will be replacing my daily driver.

In the longer term I'll be building drawers (assuming I get some kind of waterproof cap - I am not going to do Decked solution because the are pretty space inefficient...), adding a Genesis dual battery set up, a rear fog light (for crappy MN weather days), better front foglights, rear and side work lights (depends on what I choose for a bed cap), and eventually some additional front lighting (but I think you can waste a lot of $$$ here for lighting that you may not be able to use much on road and that may be sort of unnecessary off road except in very limited, hard core situations - not to mention the added wind noise). Extra water and fuel storage are going to be DIY and not permanent. Same with onboard air - one of these [ https://www.amazon.com/STORM-BRO-Cy...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==] is a lot cheaper than anything ARB makes... . I don't do enough rock crawling for that. And there isn't enough sun to make solar worth it up here : )

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to organize my thoughts. To summarize - do what you want and consider what your primary needs are. Of course if you are just building a mall crawler then ignore everything above. I would suggest (but I am not speaking with any expertise) that you start thinking about color matching your springs with your factor 55 link and then everything else will fall into place from there - you can add 2 or three spacer kits in a row to get 40s on 22in rims and then start to save your money for rock lights - but they are only worth it if you can get infinitely variable colors - better still if you can link them to your head unit so they change with your music. Sorry if I offended anyone but your fault for reading all the way down. I'm going back to work now.
I really wish I could have put like, wow, and several other emotions for that reply.

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Thanks so much... There is a TON of information here. I will definitely be reading this quite intently. So many good ideas.

edit: Did you choose those locking hood latches because they look so cool? They are more expensive that some others that are highly rated and also lock. Just curious. I do like the looks of them also.
About those latches - they do look cool right? I'm worried about that too. A bit too cool. Also I think you can defeat the lock with ordinary hex wrenches. I also ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V723YPK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A56YUN1FLV2KR&psc=1
Cheaper, have to physically defeat the outer plastic to get to the locking mechanism, lower profile, same barrel key [NOTE: not sure if its true but I think barrel keys are harder to pick than blade keys]. But not as cool looking. I haven't decided yet. My primary goal is to make functional mods only. Bling and stuff like that should be secondary. Except, ahem, my wheels. Not fully committed yet but i got polished ProComp Series 69 wheels: https://www.quadratec.com/p/pro-comp/pro-comp-series-7069-wheel-wrangler-jk-jl Not sure they will look good on billet silver but I have been on black steelies for 10 years and I'm bored šŸ˜Ž so I'll try them out.

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Be careful when buying locking hood latches. I got a highly-rated pair that looked almost identical to stock (the same brand that @syreeves mentioned,) and the shiny bits, which were supposed to be stainless steel, were rusting within 2 months.
Then I find out that the hood is alarmed: if the Jeep's alarm is set, and someone opens the hood, the alarm goes off.
And the Jeep horn is VERY LOUD!

Kevin
Thanks - you got me - I picked that item because it said "stainless". Also - I understand that the alarm function needs to be turned on which is why I ordered the tazer mini - are you telling me that the hood alarm function is already on from the factory (assuming the rest of the jeep is "armed" via the key fob door locks)? If so, maybe I'd rather avoid the lock. Serious thieves are going to take what they are going to take - I'm insured so just take stuff and don't break or damage too much else. In my rover I typically leave it unlocked because (a) good luck getting it started, and (b) I'd rather you take my tape deck and avoid having to clean broken glass. What a PITA.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Thanks - you got me - I picked that item because it said "stainless". Also - I understand that the alarm function needs to be turned on which is why I ordered the tazer mini - are you telling me that the hood alarm function is already on from the factory (assuming the rest of the jeep is "armed" via the key fob door locks)? If so, maybe I'd rather avoid the lock. Serious thieves are going to take what they are going to take - I'm insured so just take stuff and don't break or damage too much else. In my rover I typically leave it unlocked because (a) good luck getting it started, and (b) I'd rather you take my tape deck and avoid having to clean broken glass. What a PITA.
I havenā€™t made any changes to my Gladiator, and the alarm works (much to my earsā€™ dismay!)
I wanted to get at least the minimal protection afforded by these locks, and then realized the alarm was there. And with the double battery system in the Jeep, itā€™s all that much harder to silence the alarm.

Kevin

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I havenā€™t made any changes to my Gladiator, and the alarm works (much to my earsā€™ dismay!)
I wanted to get at least the minimal protection afforded by these locks, and then realized the alarm was there. And with the double battery system in the Jeep, itā€™s all that much harder to silence the alarm.

Kevin
Cool - thank you!

OP
OP
Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
About those latches - they do look cool right? I'm worried about that too. A bit too cool. Also I think you can defeat the lock with ordinary hex wrenches. I also ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V723YPK/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A56YUN1FLV2KR&psc=1
Cheaper, have to physically defeat the outer plastic to get to the locking mechanism, lower profile, same barrel key [NOTE: not sure if its true but I think barrel keys are harder to pick than blade keys]. But not as cool looking. I haven't decided yet. My primary goal is to make functional mods only. Bling and stuff like that should be secondary. Except, ahem, my wheels. Not fully committed yet but i got polished ProComp Series 69 wheels: https://www.quadratec.com/p/pro-comp/pro-comp-series-7069-wheel-wrangler-jk-jl Not sure they will look good on billet silver but I have been on black steelies for 10 years and I'm bored šŸ˜Ž so I'll try them out.
So I bought a pair of locking latches. They were some of the bling ones. I think I may try to find a way to secure the bottom without using the hex bolt included. I'll let you know.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Several threads here and on the JL site on all of these.

Since you are new to mods, I'll just say everything takes longer. A bumper/winch install took me 6 hours even with a friend who knew what they were doing.

For example, I would like to change out my own bumper and grille, when I buy some. I would also like to possibly install my own air compressor to fill my tires, once I buy bigger ones. I have watched some videos, but I really wonder how easy these things are for someone that is an idiot when it comes to my jeep, AND I want to make sure I don't do anything to void my manufacturer warranty. My truck was built this month, so to say it is new is an understatement.
Warranty covers factory defects. So when you change something from factory there is a REAL possibility you'd have to fight to get warranty work done on things adjacent to mods. For example, larger tires means more wear on driveline components and a dealership may determine that ball joints and such won't be covered if they wear out before 36k miles.

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Several threads here and on the JL site on all of these.

Since you are new to mods, I'll just say everything takes longer. A bumper/winch install took me 6 hours even with a friend who knew what they were doing.

Warranty covers factory defects. So when you change something from factory there is a REAL possibility you'd have to fight to get warranty work done on things adjacent to mods. For example, larger tires means more wear on driveline components and a dealership may determine that ball joints and such won't be covered if they wear out before 36k miles.
I am curious about this. I understand what you are saying. If I have the dealership install the Mopar lift and 35s on a new vehicle - and purchase it from them with those additions, then aren't they tacitly warrantying the vehicle as purchased? I guess my other question is whether 35s really cause material wear on the driveline... I understand how 37s or 40s might get up there but most of what I've read about 35s is that this is just the upper limit of what a Rubicon was designed to handle. Totally get that this is not a scientific question and there may be no evidence to back up anyone's opinion or answer but honestly 35s are what I went with as a compromise to longevity, drivability, and capability.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I am curious about this. I understand what you are saying. If I have the dealership install the Mopar lift and 35s on a new vehicle - and purchase it from them with those additions, then aren't they tacitly warrantying the vehicle as purchased? I guess my other question is whether 35s really cause material wear on the driveline... I understand how 37s or 40s might get up there but most of what I've read about 35s is that this is just the upper limit of what a Rubicon was designed to handle. Totally get that this is not a scientific question and there may be no evidence to back up anyone's opinion or answer but honestly 35s are what I went with as a compromise to longevity, drivability, and capability.
That's the crux of the dillema: they deny it and give a reason, then you'd have to in theory sue them to get them to comply. I started a thread for such discussions, hope more folks contribute their thoughts.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/jeep-2020-warranty.38547/

Wicked1

First Name
Quest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator sport S, 2020 Jeep renegade trailhawk
So, not sure about an "angry" grill, but I was thinking about something not stock for my JTO. I would want the grill to go with whatever bumper I ended up choosing. I watched a video of a remote start install, and he did it in about 10 minutes (which means I should be able to do it in 3 hours or so). I definitely want a bumper that can hold a winch, but that would be a separate, future, purchase. Thanks for your comments.
I just did this remote start for my JT and I have very little mechanical skills. It took maybe an hour but that's good because I was just bouncing around.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
My hood does NOT alarm unless I have the Tazer plugged in and set to add that feature. I just went and double checked it. I checked that the red alarm light was blinking.

Remote start on modern vehicles is very easy, because it's just adding CAN bus commands via existing plugs. They should not require any work more than plug and play. I added the Viper SmartStart cellular remote start to my JK and it was all plug and play.
Sponsored