Sponsored

JL New Option -- Dual Doors Option = Full Doors + Half Doors (w/ standard or premium uppers)

jalbrecht55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR
I've got both (on my LJ) and honestly they both have their pros and cons. The full doors are nicer for the winter. They are quieter and the roll up window is more functional than the zipper or glass slider type. Half doors are wonderful in the summer though especially for shorter trips. I've got wall hanger hinge mounts for storage, works well.
Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have been waiting for actual half doors.

Yeah price will be crazy...actually higher than I had expected. Will be tough choice.

And then there is the issue of color matching/blending.

If it had been an option when I ordered mine, I probably would have done it...and bypassed a few other addons. Not sure doing afterwards will be financially feasible :(

Afraid to ask how much a set of 4 for a Pumpk'n will cost? =P

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
I've got both (on my LJ) and honestly they both have their pros and cons. The full doors are nicer for the winter. They are quieter and the roll up window is more functional than the zipper or glass slider type. Half doors are wonderful in the summer though especially for shorter trips. I've got wall hanger hinge mounts for storage, works well.
This is why I love SC, no winter to deal with. ;)

I have been waiting for actual half doors.

Yeah price will be crazy...actually higher than I had expected. Will be tough choice.

And then there is the issue of color matching/blending.

If it had been an option when I ordered mine, I probably would have done it...and bypassed a few other addons. Not sure doing afterwards will be financially feasible :(

Afraid to ask how much a set of 4 for a Pumpk'n will cost? =P
I am in the same spot as you, Gator is discontinued, my guess is they will never be available for the discontinued colors....

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
Afraid to ask this, but what is the use case for half doors? How is it different than just rolling down windows?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security
Afraid to ask this, but what is the use case for half doors? How is it different than just rolling down windows?
honestly the look and on some older Jeeps they at least looked like they let in a lot more airflow. These ones for the JL just seem to high, not sure if the body line of the jeep has went up over time.

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
honestly the look and on some older Jeeps they at least looked like they let in a lot more airflow. These ones for the JL just seem to high, not sure if the body line of the jeep has went up over time.
I have to agree. I always wanted half doors because on previous models they were "lower" and gave much more open feeling with the upper removed.

However, with these....if you look at side by side picture with current hard doors...there really is not much difference. I suppose the is more "open' with the upper removed but as far as being lower...not so much.

Now, I think its a hard pass for me :(

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Seriously, y'all don't think the half doors look waaay better?

Jeep Gladiator JL New Option -- Dual Doors Option = Full Doors + Half Doors (w/ standard or premium uppers) Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 11.30.11 AM

Jeep Gladiator JL New Option -- Dual Doors Option = Full Doors + Half Doors (w/ standard or premium uppers) Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 11.31.29 AM

And again, for places where you can't run door-less (like here in BC) without risking a ticket, these are a no-brainer.

Also, eventually when the aftermarket comes out with better roll cages, I'd lose the b-pillar between the doors like Genright did with Terremoto:

Jeep Gladiator JL New Option -- Dual Doors Option = Full Doors + Half Doors (w/ standard or premium uppers) TERREMOTO_03_xl

Ichthus

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gobi JTR, 20 Bikini Willys JLU, 18 GC Overland
Occupation
Pilot
The best way I could describe the difference is that it’s almost like the difference between having a large sunroof versus having a convertible. Removed uppers leave the door top at the PERFECT height for an arm-rest, and leaves you with (complete guess...) an opening about 30% larger than an open window. You don’t lose the mirrors when removing the uppers, and all 4 of those uppers can be stowed in the cargo area in about the same amount of time it would take you to power the window down.

5chema

First Name
Mateo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Canada Launch Edition (1of419)
Vehicle Showcase
It’s even higher on the Jeep Gladiator: the bed is at the same level as the bottom of the full-door glass opening. So you would need another curve on the rear door or you will not be in line with the bed...

Are mirror-equipped tube doors legal in BC?

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator Sport S
The best way I could describe the difference is that it’s almost like the difference between having a large sunroof versus having a convertible. Removed uppers leave the door top at the PERFECT height for an arm-rest, and leaves you with (complete guess...) an opening about 30% larger than an open window. You don’t lose the mirrors when removing the uppers, and all 4 of those uppers can be stowed in the cargo area in about the same amount of time it would take you to power the window down.
That makes sense! Thanks for explaining. I can understand the want now, but I (personally) could never justify this cost lol.

MrFahrenheit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FC Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
The thing that drives me crazy about tube doors and the above rendering of a gladiator with half doors is where the rear door meets the back of the cab. It bugs me that the lines don't match up as the back of the cab is higher than the tube door.

Below is an example of the Quadratec tube doors but all are this way.

On a JL the top of the rear doors are right in line with the top edge of the tub:

Jeep Gladiator JL New Option -- Dual Doors Option = Full Doors + Half Doors (w/ standard or premium uppers) 1603119570862

But on a Gladiator they are not. The back of the cab is higher. It just looks off to me.

Jeep Gladiator JL New Option -- Dual Doors Option = Full Doors + Half Doors (w/ standard or premium uppers) 1603119609174

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Are mirror-equipped tube doors legal in BC?
It's been a while since I looked at the laws, but IIRC they have to be "factory" doors. Most police officers turn a blind eye, but there is always "that one"...:stop:

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Security

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I need to see a picture of what these will look like on a truck before I get excited. I see the appeal on a Wrangler, but this seems... odd...

Also, that’s a LOT of money. I realize they’re probably top quality, but that’s a LOT of money.
Sponsored