Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Im curious why so many people swap away from their stock Jl tires.

the michellin LTX ms2 have great reviews everywhere i look. Im even really thinking about some michellin defender ltx tires as the next set for both my wifes jlu and my jt.
Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
I've had 2 different sets of Michelin LTX MS2 and I wasn't impressed with either.

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
Im curious why so many people swap away from their stock Jl tires.

the michellin LTX ms2 have great reviews everywhere i look. Im even really thinking about some michellin defender ltx tires as the next set for both my wifes jlu and my jt.
I kept the Bridgestone Duller H/Ts on my wife's JLU because we tow it behind our motorhome and the jeep tows nice with the highway tire. We have Sahara Wheels on it now. I would swap for an all black wheel, the JLU is Mojito and I think an all black wheel would look better, but only if they were free or real cheap. I don't hate the Sahara wheels enough to pay a lot of money to swap.

On my JT, I took off the original ATs and put on Overland Wheels because I hated the gray rims that came on the JT and then I lucked into some Rubi takeoffs with KO2s. I'm real happy with the KO2s, except I lost 2 mpg switching from Duller HTs to the KO2s.

So to make a long answer short I think people switch for these reasons;
1) To get an AT or MT tire when the jeep comes with HT tires, which, Why in the hell does Jeep put highway tires on an off road vehicle anyway.
2) The standard gray wheels that come on a Sport look like crap!
3) And we all love BIGGER wheels! And those of us who can't afford them appreciate all you guys that sell us your takeoffs!

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
They use the highway tires to get their average MPG up for the vehicle group.

Plus they know a majority of owners are going to switch to a "Gnarly, Knobbied, Mud Slinging, Off Roading" tire

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I've had 2 different sets of Michelin LTX MS2 and I wasn't impressed with either.
what about them was not impressive? Ive read that the defender is better than the LTX, but they have so many dang glowing reviews im finding it hard to see why so many folks swap.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
I kept the Bridgestone Duller H/Ts on my wife's JLU because we tow it behind our motorhome and the jeep tows nice with the highway tire. We have Sahara Wheels on it now. I would swap for an all black wheel, the JLU is Mojito and I think an all black wheel would look better, but only if they were free or real cheap. I don't hate the Sahara wheels enough to pay a lot of money to swap.

On my JT, I took off the original ATs and put on Overland Wheels because I hated the gray rims that came on the JT and then I lucked into some Rubi takeoffs with KO2s. I'm real happy with the KO2s, except I lost 2 mpg switching from Duller HTs to the KO2s.

So to make a long answer short I think people switch for these reasons;
1) To get an AT or MT tire when the jeep comes with HT tires, which, Why in the hell does Jeep put highway tires on an off road vehicle anyway.
2) The standard gray wheels that come on a Sport look like crap!
3) And we all love BIGGER wheels! And those of us who can't afford them appreciate all you guys that sell us your takeoffs!
i completely agree that the stock silver/grey wheels are crummy looking. I personally love the stock AT tires. Im just baffled by the dislike of the Michilin LTX. The dueler h/t tires dont have as good reviews as the LTXs do, so i can see why folks swapped from them. just looking at the tread pattern the LTXs have a lot of siping and good tread block spacing. The dueler h/ts dont have the same and for sure done have the blocking.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
what about them was not impressive? Ive read that the defender is better than the LTX, but they have so many dang glowing reviews im finding it hard to see why so many folks swap.
Poor traction in rain and snow.

Dry rot and cracking when they still had tread.

In one instance, I put Michelins on in the winter and they replaced a worn out set of Goodyear SRAs. The worn out Goodyears gripped the road better.

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Poor traction in rain and snow.

Dry rot and cracking when they still had tread.

In one instance, I put Michelins on in the winter and they replaced a worn out set of Goodyear SRAs. The worn out Goodyears gripped the road better.
oof, wild.

Thanks!

snowbear

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Honda CRV
Occupation
GIS Analyst
I'm sticking with the Overland stock Deuler highway tires for the time being. We had them on a Chevy Trailblazer a while back and lived them. When they wear out, I may replace them with the Deuler ATs

Hosstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
what about the Falken Wildpeaks that come on Rubicons? Are they any good?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gren71

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
They have good reviews. Theyre just heavy and not right for my use.

wjcook68

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I have the Falken M/T that came stock on my JTR. They may not be perfect but are a much nicer tire than the Firestone Transforce ATs that were stock on my 2500 RAM with the "Off Road" package. More of a highway tire than a AT. Just my $.02

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
People on the forum have said that they are not good in the snow.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The Wildpeak ATs are good in the snow. They are severe snow rated. The MTs are less good in the snow, and not severe snow rated. There are two versions of the falken wildpeaks, and either can come from the factory on the Rubicon or Mojave. ATs are standard. MTs are optional. Both ar very good tires, depending on what you need it for. Mine came with the MTs, and they were phenomenal until they started to lose their siping.

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
no experience on my gladiator, but that michelin ltx was the BEST on my GX460. quiet, rode great, got 70k miles on them. loved them.
Sponsored