JT Hardtop Roof Rattle

MojaveMat

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I’m assuming a little freedom top roof rattle over bumps is normal. Anyone figure out how to alleviate it? Seems like if the clamps were a littler tighter it might?

I have OCD when it comes to rattles. This is my first Jeep — I think I might just need to get over it. 😂
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I’m assuming a little freedom top roof rattle over bumps is normal. Anyone figure out how to alleviate it? Seems like if the clamps were a littler tighter it might?

I have OCD when it comes to rattles. This is my first Jeep — I think I might just need to get over it. 😂
You can tighten the latches. They shouldn't rattle. Or have your dealership fix it.

Sponsored

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
Loosen all the bolts that fasten the back section of the top with the front panels off. Put the front panels back on, then snug the bolts back down. You don't have to get them real tight.

It worked for my hardtop rattle.

BSRubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Hydro Blue JT Rubicon - '17 Admiral Blue Grand Sport Corvette
Occupation
Engineer
Does it seem like the rattling is coming from the very front left corner of the driver side panel?

Mine started rattling a week after I picked it up and if I only closed the door to the first click of the latch it would not rattle. I determined the rubber seal on the panel was making the rattling sound (really a loud clicking of the two dry rubber surfaces) so I put some silicone grease in the flap and it went away. This was the front outer flap on the panel seal only, I didn't put grease on the door seal. My latches were all perfectly tight so no adjustment was needed there. I can probably get a picture of the area if I didn't describe it well enough.

OP
OP
MojaveMat

MojaveMat

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Does it seem like the rattling is coming from the very front left corner of the driver side panel?

Mine started rattling a week after I picked it up and if I only closed the door to the first click of the latch it would not rattle. I determined the rubber seal on the panel was making the rattling sound (really a loud clicking of the two dry rubber surfaces) so I put some silicone grease in the flap and it went away. This was the front outer flap on the panel seal only, I didn't put grease on the door seal. My latches were all perfectly tight so no adjustment was needed there. I can probably get a picture of the area if I didn't describe it well enough.
Yeah, it could be the seal that is clicking a little bit now that you mention it. It seems like it’s center/passenger along the front of the front panels but it’s hard to tell. There’s no movement at all in the panels when I put pressure on them. If you could take a pic that would be great! It’s worth a shot. I checked the latches and they were all tight.

OP
OP
MojaveMat

MojaveMat

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave

You know what, I think you were spot on with the seal thing. I’ve only had the truck for a month and haven’t been in rain much. Finally drove around in rain today for a bit and the clicking isn’t happening. I think the rain lubed up the seal. So maybe the silicon lube is the trick!

BSRubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Hydro Blue JT Rubicon - '17 Admiral Blue Grand Sport Corvette
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry for the delay, rain and a late baseball practice took priority. In the photos you can see with the freedom panel lifted there is an area on the lower corner that is rubbed, that is where I applied the silicone grease. It is pretty much lined up with the tiny rearward manufacturing hole in the outer rubber seal. That area contacts the door seal when the door is closed so there are three seals being compressed and with them being extra clean and dry they made noise. Note that I only applied the grease to the panel corner. I did not grease anywhere on the outside of the panel where the door seal makes contact, so far no more rattling/tapping noise from it.
Jeep Gladiator JT Hardtop Roof Rattle Seal Area Panel Lifted

Jeep Gladiator JT Hardtop Roof Rattle Seal Area Panel Locked

Jeep Gladiator JT Hardtop Roof Rattle Seal Area General Location

hickman785

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Security

None of the hardtop including the freedom panels should ever rattle. Everything about mine rattles, pops, snaps and creaks but i think it's just trying to constantly piss me off. I have the world's worst OCD with noises also. My previous 4 JKUs all had hardtops and they never made a sound.
Sponsored