First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GC
Occupation
Sales
Finally had the chance to test drive a few JTs this week. Dealer had a '20 Mojave and some '21 Sports -

Driving the Mojave was surprisingly disappointing, as it was the trim level I was most excited about. It was all over the road, holding the steering wheel with a death grip both hands to keep it in my lane. I read about the TSB for 2020 models but I never expected it to be that bad. Afterwards, we hopped in a 2021 Sport and it was night and day. Tracked straight down the road, could steer it at 70mph with my pinky finger. (also was a lot quieter, but I am sure that is attributed to the tires).

So with all that being said, would it be safe to assume my bad expereince with the Mojave is simply due to the TSB for the 2020 models? If that is the case, maybe I need to wait until more '21s hit dealer lots. Of course the salesman had no idea about the TSB and blamed the Mojave driving dynamics on the tires (which i refuse to believe).

I know there is a TSB, but the last thing I want to do is buy a Jeep that needs fixing right after I buy it.
Sponsored

mtgustin

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave Past: 76' CJ-7, 2013 GC Altitude 5.7, 87 Wrangler
Occupation
Horribly underpaid government worker
If you want "that" Mojave, negotiate with them regarding the steering box being replaced before you take ownership. If that works, definitely have everything 100% after the replacement, and after a long test drive.

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
To many factors to know if steering gear on test drive. Check air pressure and torque on suspension parts and then drive again. As an FYI the Mojave with MTs and the suspension set up floats a bit more, as designed to do, IMO.

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
Yep... I bet air pressure is at play just like irtexasman said. Usually dealers set to above recommend pressure... it’s always the first thing you should look at when test driving a Jeep.

Sponsored

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I would say you were all over the road because they had too much psi in tires. When I bought mine they were at almost 50psi. Rides great now that I lowered psi

GreenMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I agree with the above comments. I drove several trims and tire styles. The Mojave with AT tires at 36PSI was the best ride out of all of them.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Tire pressure is almost guaranteed to be at least 10 lbs too high ...

The steering TSB is a no brainer and I would not let it dissuade me from buying the truck ... It is a simple change, it wont affect the warranty ... It is not a big deal ...

My Mojave drives smooth and straight after the TSB ... No wobble to speak of whatsoever ... It is actually a very confidence inspiring and easy truck to drive .... I have nothing but good things to say about it ... Highly recommend ...

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
I would go to another dealer if possible and test drive a different Mojave and see if it does the same thing. But agree with others. When I picked up mine it had 46 lbs of pressure in tires, but wasn't too bad of wander...just a little. When i got home I lowered to 36 like it said on the door. Drives and rides perfect now. night and day difference.

OP
OP

CPenn1086

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GC
Occupation
Sales
This is all great info. Going to another dealer this week who just got a few 2021 Mojave’s in. I will definitely be paying attention to the PSI this time.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
We have a 2020 Mojave and all I can say is it rides like a Jeep. I see a little more play in the steering than the JL but nothing that really is an issue or bothers me. I will ask for the new steering box during the next oil change and our dealer is great to work with. Our roads are pretty rough because of shifting sands and big USMC trucks. You feel every little and especially the big bumps. Again, that rougher ride was expected, noticed on the test drives and doesn't bother me. The stock MT tires are rougher and louder at 36psi. We are going to get new wheels and 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers in a few months. I wanted something that carried 4 people, handles beach sand, hauls all our surf fishing stuff and a big cooler. Perfect vehicle! We love our Mojave!
Sponsored