Sponsored

JT vs 4Runner

TexasTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
I had a pretty built TJ that did everything I wanted it to. Now I have a TRD 4Runner that's stock, and can make it through trails within reason. IFS doesn't compare to SFA for wheeling, but it holds it own. Having the "trunk" space in the 4R is nice. 4R averages 16mpg loaded down with a RTT, about 18mpg for daily use. They're both underpowered V6s.

Jeep Gladiator JT vs 4Runner 50320248338_3be4355ff2_k
Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
I had 2015 4runner for the last 6 years. Sold it because I bought the gladiator to tow. I don’t miss the 4Runner at all. I would say my wife and kids agree. The only thing I might miss, once in a while, is the third row.

I used to think I don’t need all the bells and whistles. I thought the 4Runner was great without them. Then I got the gladiator with a nice 8” screen and so many other creature comforts. I love having some tech now. On top of that, it’s so easy to mod yourself and there are so many available products for it. Have you ever tried to buy an aftermarket bumper for a 4runner? Stupid expensive and your cutting things to make it work.

If your going to drive it stock,not all that matters. But if you want to build an off road vehicle, the JT is better platform.

People say the JT is slow. I feel like I’m in a race car, after coming from a lifted 4Runner with 33s.

I’m still a fan of the 4Runner, I just feel like it’s dated and should go back to its off road roots. Toyota should take a long look at the bronco. When it is released it will be the best IFS off road SUV.

flyerness

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I had 2015 4runner for the last 6 years. Sold it because I bought the gladiator to tow. I don’t miss the 4Runner at all. I would say my wife and kids agree. The only thing I might miss, once in a while, is the third row.

I used to think I don’t need all the bells and whistles. I thought the 4Runner was great without them. Then I got the gladiator with a nice 8” screen and so many other creature comforts. I love having some tech now. On top of that, it’s so easy to mod yourself and there are so many available products for it. Have you ever tried to buy an aftermarket bumper for a 4runner? Stupid expensive and your cutting things to make it work.

If your going to drive it stock,not all that matters. But if you want to build an off road vehicle, the JT is better platform.

People say the JT is slow. I feel like I’m in a race car, after coming from a lifted 4Runner with 33s.

I’m still a fan of the 4Runner, I just feel like it’s dated and should go back to its off road roots. Toyota should take a long look at the bronco. When it is released it will be the best IFS off road SUV.
Agree Pdiddy...although not totally comparable, I had a LandCruiser for 17 years. It was a great vehicle and its dependability was awesome. While it was great toting my kids around, it always lacked the more state-of-the-art features that you'd expect from comparable rigs. Toyota hasn't kept up w/ the times with the 4-Runners and LandCruisers.

My new Gladiator has better tech features, not to mention that its way more off-road capable, with better gas mileage and easier mods. Oh, and I can take the top and doors off......boooyah.

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Agree Pdiddy...although not totally comparable, I had a LandCruiser for 17 years. It was a great vehicle and its dependability was awesome. While it was great toting my kids around, it always lacked the more state-of-the-art features that you'd expect from comparable rigs. Toyota hasn't kept up w/ the times with the 4-Runners and LandCruisers.

My new Gladiator has better tech features, not to mention that its way more off-road capable, with better gas mileage and easier mods. Oh, and I can take the top and doors off......boooyah.
yeah, I’m still a little baffled that I’m getting better gas mileage with more power and weight. It’s so much peppier than my 4Runner was. I’m guessing though that going to 33s on stock gearing was the issue. Would have been peppier with some different ring and pinions. Gas may have been worse then.

I really couldn’t be happier switching from the 4Runner to the gladiator. I do still like the 4Runner. It was a great SUV.

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Two very different vehicle. I love my 2010 4runner. Very dependablle but mpg is crap. I think I'm getting around 14 to 15 mpg as a daily driver, lifted and 33s. I wanted a pickup bed so I looked into a tundra but then I saw the gladiator. A pickup truck that you can take the roof off? Come on! I'm sold. I haven't bought it yet and already have parts planned for it. Hell, I've never even test drive a jeep. But for sure I'm ordering a jtr before years end. I'm also never going to sell the 4runner.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I have wheeled with heavily modded Tacomas and 4 Runners in my stock Sport S. Just have 33s.
I did things they got stuck on and required a spotter for. I saw lots of wheels high in the air. I was accused of having lockers...nope.
They probably drive better on pavement. i'd bet on it. But off road, no comparison.

2021Gladiator

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Communication
I Sold my 2018 TRD Offroad 4 Runner, it was fun but no power, Ordered 2021 Rubicon Diesel Gladiator, wife still has her 4 runner, I will stay with the Eco Diesel Gladiator.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
I Sold my 2018 TRD Offroad 4 Runner, it was fun but no power, Ordered 2021 Rubicon Diesel Gladiator, wife still has her 4 runner, I will stay with the Eco Diesel Gladiator.
There were 2 Gladiators and a JL which made it up this rut this weekend with no problem. The 4Runner wasn’t able to get its footing...

Jeep Gladiator JT vs 4Runner 9680D186-BA8A-428B-A2FD-160C8B40FE3B

30CC6210-7026-4486-9BA3-B2F53FFD8B0B.jpeg

DiabolicalDianoga

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Subaru Forester
Occupation
Admin

Good point about the Bronco vs the 4Runner.
I did seriously consider a 4Runner before my JT. I just could not get past how dated everything is with the 4Runner. You can't beat the reliability aspect of a Toyota vehicle, but I wanted a nice vehicle with some of the latest tech and the 4Runner isn't there. And that MPG is just embarrassing. That vehicle needs a serious drive train update, especially with the Bronco coming out soon.
Sponsored