July 27, 2022 OURAY Trip, planning and plotting thread

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 JLUR
Add me as a strong tentative. Should be out there NLT Monday. Looking forward to it!

-joe

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I’m pumped up. Can we go tomorrow? :) Now the goal is to not break the JT before July.

Sat phone plan, cost effective.

Roof top tent, required expense.

Beer, $200

Fuel, $300

Wheeling Epic Trails with Chill People, Priceless.

Sponsored

Offroadnewbie

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
Girlfriend may be joining me on the trip but its too far out right now for her to know for sure. Going to make a call to a place recommended to me for a bed rack and rooftop tent. Trying to think of any other upgrades I should be looking at for the trip. I ended up splurging some already and have a bestop sunrider coming in.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Girlfriend may be joining me on the trip but its too far out right now for her to know for sure. Going to make a call to a place recommended to me for a bed rack and rooftop tent. Trying to think of any other upgrades I should be looking at for the trip. I ended up splurging some already and have a bestop sunrider coming in.
Of all the things I’ve added, the sunrider is likely number one. It gets enjoyed every day, not in the winter though. :) you know how it is here.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing better than flipping the top up and cruising down the road in below freezing temperatures!
yeah. I took it off in the beginning of November. At this altitude, it’ll probably go back in April. If I was where you are, maybe I’d never take it off.

You said you’re not planning on a lift before the trip correct? You’ll be fine without. I would make a suggestion for a hitch skid though. I’m pretty sure your Willy’s and my rubi are similar heights. That back end tends to scrape, but the skid helps with that a lot, and for a small price, adds a recovery point. I never take it off unless I’m towing.

Offroadnewbie

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
yeah. I took it off in the beginning of November. At this altitude, it’ll probably go back in April. If I was where you are, maybe I’d never take it off.

You said you’re not planning on a lift before the trip correct? You’ll be fine without. I would make a suggestion for a hitch skid though. I’m pretty sure your Willy’s and my rubi are similar heights. That back end tends to scrape, but the skid helps with that a lot, and for a small price, adds a recovery point. I never take it off unless I’m towing.
Hitch skid is probably a good idea. I'm also thinking about ordering a quick swaybar disconnect and getting a midland mxt 275 and running it to an aux switch. Also maybe finally getting my fender halogens replaced with LEDs.

Its my daily driver so no lift planned at the moment. If I were to ever do it I probably wouldn't do more than a 2 inch lift. I don't plan on 35s until at least the point that I need new tires and I still may stick with the 33s even then.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Hitch skid is probably a good idea. I'm also thinking about ordering a quick swaybar disconnect and getting a midland mxt 275 and running it to an aux switch. Also maybe finally getting my fender halogens replaced with LEDs.

Its my daily driver so no lift planned at the moment. If I were to ever do it I probably wouldn't do more than a 2 inch lift. I don't plan on 35s until at least the point that I need new tires and I still may stick with the 33s even then.
The sway bar quick disconnects are a very good idea. It will change everything on the trail. There’s several hitch skids out there. I’m happy with my War Fab Sheridan Short. It’s solid, and I love the recovery ring. I wouldn’t like having to remove it to switch to a shackle ring. Pretty inexpensive as well. I think I paid under $200. Ignore the dog leash and the missing hitch pin. I was just looking at fit when I first unpacked it .
Jeep Gladiator July 27, 2022 OURAY Trip, planning and plotting thread 9A5D543D-EB7E-4B83-93AD-A55B6D05EC03

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I have Rubicon Springs, Shocks and JKS quick disconnects I am selling. I went to the Clayton lift.
Will be selling as a package.

Offroadnewbie

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Gladiator
I'm going to experiment and see how good or bad it is until the next snow. Installed the sunrider this afternoon.

I have Rubicon Springs, Shocks and JKS quick disconnects I am selling. I went to the Clayton lift.
Will be selling as a package.
Might be interested in them. I have the older red rubicon shocks but not the Fox ones.

OP
OP
DocMike

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
It is a set of Fox Rubicon Shocks, Rubicon Springs. Terraflex Spacer 1.5 in and Jks disconnects.

I'm going to experiment and see how good or bad it is until the next snow. Installed the sunrider this afternoon.

Might be interested in them. I have the older red rubicon shocks but not the Fox ones.