Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Did they put your JT on a scale to weigh it?
Those dopes wouldn't be smart enough to do that, or even know how. Anyone who claims his rig is heavy and that's the cause can't think past the end of their nose.
I laughed when I read what he said they told him.

When I tow I'm loading my truck up more than he is, and stressing my differential more than he is.
Sponsored

Thebigboowah

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
geaux.guru
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Did they put your JT on a scale to weigh it?
We did. We were HEAVY!! LOL. My Gladiator is not fat…it is big boned. Since my last post, we have cut weight significantly! Also, just received our new AFR diff cover and installing it tomorrow. While down there, I will also be changing out and relocating my diff vent. I’m hopeful that this does the trick. Fingers crossed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's still not a cause of that right axle seal leak being experienced.
Do whatever, change the vent or whatever, but that's going to mask, not fix, an issue happening on hundreds of these trucks.
If it was weight or vent related, you'd have leaks at the pinion and left axle as well.

Thebigboowah

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
geaux.guru
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
That's still not a cause of that right axle seal leak being experienced.
Do whatever, change the vent or whatever, but that's going to mask, not fix, an issue happening on hundreds of these trucks.
If it was weight or vent related, you'd have leaks at the pinion and left axle as well.
I totally agree! I was not happy with the lack of concern to truly diagnose and/or find the root of the issue. However, we are about to head out on a long haul to the east coast. So, I needed to address with the best bandaids at my disposal. We will continue to observe if this fixes or show’s improvement. If not, we plan to bring it in again.

Sponsored

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Took my Jt in this week for my second Jeep Wave service. Rear passenger axle seal is leaking, left at the dealer until parts come in. Just hit 20k miles.
That sucks. You would think, they have axle shafts instock at every dealers by now.

aj93jeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
And so the beat goes on. The Pass rear developed a nasty whine and vibration when turning at low speed about 4K miles after the axle replacement. The dealer found an issue with the replaced axle and attempted to fix it. Still noisy. They are now going to replace the shocks. Apparently one of those is leaking as well. Sounded more like a cv joint issue to me. But who am I to turn down a fresh set of shocks.

Rusty Shackleford

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler, Saab 9-3
Occupation
USAF
And so the beat goes on. The Pass rear developed a nasty whine and vibration when turning at low speed about 4K miles after the axle replacement. The dealer found an issue with the replaced axle and attempted to fix it. Still noisy. They are now going to replace the shocks. Apparently one of those is leaking as well. Sounded more like a cv joint issue to me. But who am I to turn down a fresh set of shocks.
I’m on my third rear axle, so far this one is holding up. I think. We’ve had snow on the ground 4 months straight so I haven’t been ambitious about crawling underneath to look at it. I can’t remember if it was my first or second axle repair but when I went in to pick it up I noticed a rear shock was leaking. So it was a similar situation to yours. It seems that there’s some very cheap components on these trucks. Good luck, I hope they are able to actually fix all of the issues.

aj93jeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I’m on my third rear axle, so far this one is holding up. I think. We’ve had snow on the ground 4 months straight so I haven’t been ambitious about crawling underneath to look at it. I can’t remember if it was my first or second axle repair but when I went in to pick it up I noticed a rear shock was leaking. So it was a similar situation to yours. It seems that there’s some very cheap components on these trucks. Good luck, I hope they are able to actually fix all of the issues.
It’s still a Jeep. I still love it. On the crazy hot scale. It’s still below the Lisa Mendoza line.

Sponsored

Scotslad2k

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep sport max tow
Occupation
Automotive inspector
just had wifes Rubicon in for right rear axle replacement ,due to leaking seal discovered at 23k, i measured how low the Diff oil was before repair ,oil was as low as the lowest part of the axkle shaft housing ,hoping this has not damaged the Diff as i believe the truck probably did 4-5 k with low oil. Techs just dont look underneath any more when they change oil and rotate tires, Was under warranty but I think a full axle may be next if it starts howling. No offroad or oversize tires were used. Just failed.

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 1.33.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 1.35.05 AM.png

taintedsaint

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
retired military
I had a leak but on left side. Noticed at oil change, 20994 miles.
Dealer was super helpful, 6 days in shop waiting for parts. Replaced entire axle shaft as a unit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
just had wifes Rubicon in for right rear axle replacement ,due to leaking seal discovered at 23k, i measured how low the Diff oil was before repair ,oil was as low as the lowest part of the axkle shaft housing ,hoping this has not damaged the Diff as i believe the truck probably did 4-5 k with low oil. Techs just dont look underneath any more when they change oil and rotate tires, Was under warranty but I think a full axle may be next if it starts howling. No offroad or oversize tires were used. Just failed.

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 1.33.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 1.35.05 AM.png
I bet on no damage. Looks like a lot, but then a tablespoon of oil will go a very long ways.
If you could pull the fill plug and put your little finger in the hole and reach the fluid within the first joint, it's ok. In other words, 1" down from the bottom of the fill hole isn't a problem.
The ring gear is what lubricates things by slinging the lube around inside. It's like a big scoop with those teeth and when you drive, it literally tosses the lube to where it needs to go.
In many differentials, there are also channels that catch the oil running down the inside of the differential housing and guide it to the pinion bearings.
Things don't rely on being down in the lube to get protection.

Not totally sure what you mean by this part:
>> ,oil was as low as the lowest part of the axkle shaft housing <<
But if you mean it was level with the axle TUBE, it's ok.

(I wasn't sure because normally "housing" is the differential housing - the cast part in the center, and axle tube often describes the steep, not cast, tube that the axles themselves are inside on their way from the wheel to the differential, which is the center with the cast housing)

I doubt you lost enough lube to do any damage. Your description does not imply "low oil". If you can't reach it with your pinky - it's low. If you can, it needs lube but isn't low enough to do damage.
I've rebuilt and repaired my share of differentials and axles in my career - it takes more than 1" down to do damage

In my experience, techs look at all 4 wheels and I have video proof that they have been because they sometimes send me a video of them looking at the brakes and anything with fluid.
A leak can also happen fast - my front shocks were dry not all that long ago, now they are quite wet.
My wife's Wrangler was totally dry under it when we were in Florida and then shortly after getting back - no problem.
She took it to church and back, about 55 miles round trip, and the rear of the transmission had fluid hanging off all of the rear bolts, the cross member was dripping and it left fluid on the floor. Dry one day, leaving fluid all over the next.
So really, who knows how long it's been leaking.
Could be for a long time, weeks, could be not so long.
A little oil goes a very long ways.
That's a bad leak, and could be a sign of a bad axle bearing as well as just a seal.
Get it in ASAP.

Scotslad2k

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep sport max tow
Occupation
Automotive inspector
A new axle for a leaking seal? That’s insane! There must be some sort of weird replacement clause in Jeep’s supplier contract with Dana.
it comes as a 7 piece replacement kit cost 374$ which is ridiculous for a seal but something tells me someone under milled a bunch of axles causing the leaks and not actually a faulty seal

Scotslad2k

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep sport max tow
Occupation
Automotive inspector
I bet on no damage. Looks like a lot, but then a tablespoon of oil will go a very long ways.
If you could pull the fill plug and put your little finger in the hole and reach the fluid within the first joint, it's ok. In other words, 1" down from the bottom of the fill hole isn't a problem.
The ring gear is what lubricates things by slinging the lube around inside. It's like a big scoop with those teeth and when you drive, it literally tosses the lube to where it needs to go.
In many differentials, there are also channels that catch the oil running down the inside of the differential housing and guide it to the pinion bearings.
Things don't rely on being down in the lube to get protection.

Not totally sure what you mean by this part:
>> ,oil was as low as the lowest part of the axkle shaft housing <<
But if you mean it was level with the axle TUBE, it's ok.

(I wasn't sure because normally "housing" is the differential housing - the cast part in the center, and axle tube often describes the steep, not cast, tube that the axles themselves are inside on their way from the wheel to the differential, which is the center with the cast housing)

I doubt you lost enough lube to do any damage. Your description does not imply "low oil". If you can't reach it with your pinky - it's low. If you can, it needs lube but isn't low enough to do damage.
I've rebuilt and repaired my share of differentials and axles in my career - it takes more than 1" down to do damage

In my experience, techs look at all 4 wheels and I have video proof that they have been because they sometimes send me a video of them looking at the brakes and anything with fluid.
A leak can also happen fast - my front shocks were dry not all that long ago, now they are quite wet.
My wife's Wrangler was totally dry under it when we were in Florida and then shortly after getting back - no problem.
She took it to church and back, about 55 miles round trip, and the rear of the transmission had fluid hanging off all of the rear bolts, the cross member was dripping and it left fluid on the floor. Dry one day, leaving fluid all over the next.
So really, who knows how long it's been leaking.
Could be for a long time, weeks, could be not so long.
A little oil goes a very long ways.
That's a bad leak, and could be a sign of a bad axle bearing as well as just a seal.
Get it in ASAP.
I think there may have been an issue with some of the axles being machine milled below needed diameter hence allowing seals to leak . The main issue with the low fluid is that the outer axle bearing would not have a good amount of oil . When you pull the rear axle half shafts you should have a nice little stream of oil from the diff until it levels out with the lowest part of the axle tube going into the diff.. my level was already that low so the outer bearing was not getting a good oil bath as needed.
Sponsored