First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Support Analyst
I don't wheel my gladiator. I got my skid plate in about May, 2022. The first thee images are from November 2023. I ground that thing down to nothing but shiny steel. Then I primed it (at least 2 coats) and then I rattle canned it (2 coats Tremclad Professional). The last photo, I took today. I think it's a bad piece of "stainless" (?) steel. I am by no means an expert at all. But I'm thinking about getting something fabricated locally to hold the lights. There's a ton of metal knowledge in Hamilton.

IMG_9819[1].JPG

IMG_9821[1].JPG

IMG_9822[1].JPG

IMG_0165[1].JPG
Sponsored

Reactions: mog

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
It does look like there might have been some sort of scrapes along the leading edge of the skid plate that allowed the oxidation to begin. How long has the skid plate been installed? Feel free to DM me with details if you would rather.
I have had the skid plate installed for about two years (early adopter).

For what it is worth, I am confident it has not actually had any scrapesā€”just seems to rust and the coating flakes away easily so I try not to touch it.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When they introduced this it didnā€™t make much sense to me. Seems like a bad place to mount a light bar. Particularly bad up here in the Northeast.
I was drawn to itā€™s use up here in the North East, primarily because it was a great way to get low-mount amber lights for snowy conditions (I think we all know how bad the standard LED lights are in a snow storm).

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Every aftermarket part I got, from several different vendors, rusted within the first two years. I shall be priming and painting them before install from now on. The factory stuff appears to be fine. In fact our 25+ yr old Dodge is mostly fine underneath. But the new aftermarket stuff, no way.

Edit: The old truck is rusting over the wheel wells. But the frame etc is fine. Garage kept for around half its life.

Sponsored

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Wrangler JL, Bronco, RAM TRX
I have had the skid plate installed for about two years (early adopter).

For what it is worth, I am confident it has not actually had any scrapesā€”just seems to rust and the coating flakes away easily so I try not to touch it.
I have a few steel pieces do similar to that here in the northeast. I just removed the piece, stripped it, sanded it and re coated it front and back. There are rust inhibitors that would help too. I hate the salt and brine on the roads up here. Let me know if you need anything.

OneTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Cherokee Trailhawk; 20 Gladiator Rubicon
I was drawn to itā€™s use up here in the North East, primarily because it was a great way to get low-mount amber lights for snowy conditions (I think we all know how bad the standard LED lights are in a snow storm).
that's why I got mine! (Alaska, for the record)

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a few steel pieces do similar to that here in the northeast. I just removed the piece, stripped it, sanded it and re coated it front and back. There are rust inhibitors that would help too. I hate the salt and brine on the roads up here. Let me know if you need anything.
If you have any recommendations on what to use for recoating or which rust inhibitors to go with, Iā€˜d appreciate any advice.

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have any recommendations on what to use for recoating or which rust inhibitors to go with, Iā€˜d appreciate any advice.
The Eastwood products are solid and easy to use. Just make sure you prep as instructed.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept IMG_0165[1].JPG

NEW COLOR AND NOW IN STOCK!

Get additional protection for your Jeep Wrangler JL or Gladiator JT sway bar and steering box with additional lighting function! This innovative skid plate from ORACLE Lighting integrates nine high-powered LED lighting modules for a two-in-one product, now in Amber!

SHOP NOW!

Jeep Gladiator LED Aux Light Integrated Front Skid Plate Concept IMG_0165[1].JPG
Dang how did I miss / forget about this one, yellow great for foggy, rainy or snow weather. Oh duh I was traveling around a lot.

Sponsored

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Remove, pull out / tape off LED lighting. Sand primer and repaint for best results, when re finishing use of something like "Rapter coat" may hold up better.
It's on the front of vehicle down lower catching road grime splashing up and at speed that can accelerate weathering and wear to surface finishes. Some are not up to the job, I've got a aftermarket bumper (15 plus years) that's fine but other stuff that looks like hammered s### in less than a year.

Last edited:

ORACLE Terry

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Remove, pull out / tape off LED lighting. Sand primer and repaint for best results, when re finishing use of something like "Rapter coat" may hold up better.
It's on the front of vehicle down lower catching road grime splashing up and at speed that can accelerate weathering and wear to surface finishes. Some are not up to the job, I've got a aftermarket bumper (15 plus years) that's fine but other stuff that looks like hammered s### in less than a year.
great advice!

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
great advice!
I've experienced working with steel, mill scale, contaminates and lubricants used don't always easily come off material without chemically cleaning. Sand / soda blasting or mechanical removal don't always remove it.
A reason why I'm not a big fan of powder coating. Some people/ companies will use that as a cheap / quick fix finish that doesn't last if not mechanical and then chemically cleaned first then proper curing. it will fail if not done correctly. My over built over priced rear bumper on XJ started flaking off powder coating in few months afterwards yet Tompkins front bumper went over a decade and was dragged against rocks, sand and ect.
There is reasons why there is a difference in price of some products vs others as you know.
Sponsored

Reactions: mog