Sponsored

LED replacement bulbs blinding oncoming drivers.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I was getting flashed a lot when I also had the fog lights on automaticlly. I am also getting blinded by just new cars stock LED's, I'm thinking Lexus is one but it's hard to see after you are starring at the right side of the road trying to steer straight!
I found Toyota and Tesla to be the major offenders in this area. Then the obvious ones where it's super blinding and the vehicle drives by and it's a 1990s-something truck. Back in WA, it's illegal to replace your headlights with something brighter/non-OEM. Is it enforced? Not really.
Sponsored

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I ran LED in my Halogen housings for about a year before I moved to Oracle Lights. I made sure to adjust my lights so that they were not shooting into the sky or other. Funny thing the few times I got flashed were by large pick up trucks running LED lights that lit up the sky

dajudge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon, 2001Cherokee XJ
Occupation
Network/Server Admin
New Ford trucks are the worse! Those stupid lights are 5 feet in the air from the factory. What a stupid design. There used to be laws for that but I guess the automakers got them tossed. I am sure the requirements were too burdensome and were causing them to lose money! :mad:

Richord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon, AMG GLC 43
I have the factory LED lights and I get the occasional flash from drivers. They are bright. I noticed that road signs reflect much brighter as well. I drive we’re there a lot of deer and am sorry for the other drivers but as someone said, I’ve learned to look to the right to avoid the glare of on coming traffic.

Mad Dog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Chemist
I have the stock non-LED lights in my rubicon and I get flashed a couple times a month.

Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
New Ford trucks are the worse! Those stupid lights are 5 feet in the air from the factory. What a stupid design. There used to be laws for that but I guess the automakers got them tossed. I am sure the requirements were too burdensome and were causing them to lose money! :mad:
the 2011-2016 F250 headlights were designed the way they were like because of a pending (at the time) law about headlight height. As evidenced by the 2017 model, that law did not pan out.

their current offender is the new high beam that adjusts for oncoming vehicles. So basically they can leave the high beam on all the time and it *should not* offend oncoming traffic. Of course any ounce of load in the bed or a trailer attached changes the aiming of the lights and now you have bright lights in your eyes. Newer F150/F250 have this and it’s stupid.

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
One of the biggest problems with LED replacement bulbs is people putting them in refractor housings designed for halogen bulbs. LED bulbs don't emit light as evenly or in the same pattern as halogen, so the geometry of the housing is all wrong. This results is way more "spillage" of light where it doesn't belong.
Aftermarket projector housings can help, but many don't meet DOT standards and are not legal to run on the road. Our LJ came with some crappy eBay replacements that were dangerous to run on the road, we junked them and put in DOT-compliant lights from a reputable company; they were an integrated LED light with a refractor housing designed for that light source. The beam cutoff is crisp and there's almost no light outside the low-beam pattern. I also spent a lot of time at night with a torx getting the beams correctly adjusted so they were in the correct place despite the lift and tires.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
One of the biggest problems with LED replacement bulbs is people putting them in refractor housings designed for halogen bulbs. LED bulbs don't emit light as evenly or in the same pattern as halogen, so the geometry of the housing is all wrong. This results is way more "spillage" of light where it doesn't belong.
Aftermarket projector housings can help, but many don't meet DOT standards and are not legal to run on the road. Our LJ came with some crappy eBay replacements that were dangerous to run on the road, we junked them and put in DOT-compliant lights from a reputable company; they were an integrated LED light with a refractor housing designed for that light source. The beam cutoff is crisp and there's almost no light outside the low-beam pattern. I also spent a lot of time at night with a torx getting the beams correctly adjusted so they were in the correct place despite the lift and tires.
This was absolutely true for the older LED lamps. Not true for the newer ones that have the emitters in the exact same position/distance from the reflector as the filament in a halogen bulb. When installed correctly and properly ADJUSTED, they produce a nice beam pattern with a decent cut-off line and are not offensive to oncoming drivers. ...or at least no more offensive than factory LED lights. Bright is bright... so some people will still think they're TOO bright no matter what you use (including OEM), but if they're properly installed/adjusted, they will be no worse than most OEM LEDs.

JCB350FL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
I recently bought the complete LED replacement kit from LASFIT (https://www.lasfit.com/products/2018-2021-jeep-gladiator-led-bulbs). This kit covers headlights, fog lights, turn signals and the back-up lights. Add the T3-7443R (https://www.lasfit.com/products/7443-canbus-error-free-red-led-bulbs-t3-series) for the rear tail, brake and turn signals and you've replaced everything but the DRLs. Brightness and cutoff are great. There is plenty of adjustment room for correct LED placement. Have not been flashed by a single oncoming car since installing them. LASFIT customer service has been great. This is not the cheapest solution out there, but with current Black Friday discount you can replace all but the DRLs for about $375 and it makes a huge difference. What's crazy is that a $70k Gladiator still needs these kind of upgrades.

mersinery

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Bought these and tried installing them yesterday, but for some reason the passenger side connector did not fit. I did not want to force it so I uninstalled and put back the stock halogens. Really disappointed because the stock halogens suck, might as well put a candle on the hood and use that as my headlights.

I may try another Sealight bulb, some 2024 versions came out but if its the same thing, then I may need to find another brand. I saw Fahren as another brand but I remember someone saying on another thread that the high beams were basically useless. I may go with Beamtech but wish it would ship with Prime so it'll be delivered in a day or two. Amazon only has the fog lights whenever I check.
Jeep Gladiator LED replacement bulbs blinding oncoming drivers. 1701876584078

Sponsored

KevinM60

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CAD/CAM
On my weekend forays out to the desert I’ve getting flashed occasionally by opposing traffic. I have the factory LEDs that do light up the road pretty good. I’ve been wondering if the extra lift on the Mojave front end aims the headlights a little higher

bd100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, WK2, ole' Ram
Living in a mildly hilly area, there are always moments my truck's head lights are aimed into someone's face. Even halogens are enough to annoy people.

And for what it's worth, according to
Bulb types
the halogen H13 bulbs are among the brightest of the stock halogen types.

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Living in a mildly hilly area, there are always moments my truck's head lights are aimed into someone's face. Even halogens are enough to annoy people.
I think we can all agree that some (many?) people are very easily annoyed these days. I get it though. I used to drive a very small, very low car (NB Miata), so literally everyone's headlights were directly in my face all the time at night. It was super-annoying, but I understood why - and that it was my problem, not theirs. It was just one of the compromises *I* made to drive that particular (very fun) car. But back to the subject at hand, if a truck's lights are aimed properly, I don't have a problem with them (no matter the technology used). That's really all we can ask. I DO have a big problem with the idiots who "squat" their trucks - which aims the headlights up into everyone's faces (if not the freaking trees) though. Thankfully, this has been outlawed in my state for the most part, but you're still allowed to have the rear up to 4" lower than the front for some ridiculous reason, so the headlight problem problem largely persists with them.
And for what it's worth, according to Bulb types the halogen H13 bulbs are among the brightest of the stock halogen types.
That's sort of like saying an Oneida butter knife is among the sharpest of all butter knives. LOL While that may be true, it's still dull compared to a steak knife.

stuckindeep

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport and Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired
I was reading reviews on Amazon for Sealite replacement bulbs (H13 SV.4). One of the options you can pick from the reviews was oncoming drivers. There were quite a few reviews saying they were getting flashed as if they had high beams on. One driver actually got ticketed For headlights out of adjustment.
Im wondering if others have had this problem? Is it just an alignment issue?
Thinking of maybe not cheaping out and buy the whole assembly hoping that the design of the bucket solves this issue.

Also, any good choices for the reverse light bulbs and fog bulbs?
First of all, installing new lights of any kind will require reaming to correct blinding people. Those who raise their vehicle need to do the same thing. Otherwise, you are a bone head.
Sponsored