First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
After much research and lamenting over what was the best rack for my Gladiator I landed on the Leitner Designs ACS Forged. I looked at many different variables when making this decision and was originally leaning toward a few different brands. Ultimately my decision was made based on the strength to weight ratio of the forged rack vs the competitors. Leitner clearly states their static and dynamic load ratings right on their website and includes off/on road delineation - I was disappointed to find this information on other products was not readily available or shared. The rack will be used to support a roof top tent and other overlanding gear so I needed to know exactly what it is rated for. Additionally I am keeping track of my overall build mass properties highlighting another important fact: adding accessories that increase weight cuts into the cargo capacity – and a rack is just one of many accessories planned for this build. Finally the Leitner ACS Forged should last the life of the Jeep considering its all-aluminum construction! I have had a number of jeeps in the past with wonderful aftermarket accessories that rust and peel over time – I do not want that to happen on this one!

The install process was pretty straightforward – I had lots of “help” so it did take me longer than I was expecting but I always underestimate my project timelines! Leitner didn’t really advertise some of the wonderful tools and packaging they include with their product I was truly impressed.

But first...

Before:
Jeep Gladiator Leitner ACS Forged Installation - '20 JTR 1597340528090

After:
Jeep Gladiator Leitner ACS Forged Installation - '20 JTR 1597340536534

And now some high level assembly steps and thoughts:

- The Instructions were unclear on what to do with these three:

Jeep Gladiator Leitner ACS Forged Installation - '20 JTR 1597340543680

- Small parts laid out Note: Leitner included hex keys, extra rivet nuts, the installation tool and even the drill bit required! I was very impressed though I did use my on 25/64” drill bit as it is slightly sharper and worked just a bit better. (Everything shown was included except the speaker and Loctite)

Jeep Gladiator Leitner ACS Forged Installation - '20 JTR 1597340550143

- Large parts laid out and ready for assembly – looks like my help would prefer we add an awning at some point too!

Jeep Gladiator Leitner ACS Forged Installation - '20 JTR 1597340559437

- Mostly assembled and ready for the jeep!

Jeep Gladiator Leitner ACS Forged Installation - '20 JTR 1597340566386

- Upright assemblies on the jeep and ready for the load bars to be installed. Though the instructions are very thorough one tip I would offer is to cut a piece of scrap wood (2x4) to the width specified to hold the uprights in their desired final position as they tend to sag inward until the load bars are installed – and the load bars have slotted holes.

Jeep Gladiator Leitner ACS Forged Installation - '20 JTR 1597340572478

- For me the hardest part of this installation was the brackets for the stanchions and this was only due to limited access based upon my Decked system.

Jeep Gladiator Leitner ACS Forged Installation - '20 JTR 1597340579480

Now it’s time to figure out what to mount to this rack!

Final thoughts:
  • The ACS forged requires the presence of the Mopar Trail Rail system for installation
  • Instructions did have a typo regarding bolt length (easy to figure out) – mine was one of the first 100 produced so possibly the instructions have been updated
  • Requires 4 holes to be drilled in in the bed for the stanchion mount brackets
  • Only drawback I have seen so far is that the trail rails on the bed sides are now blocked by the extrusion preventing use of the factory tie downs. As shown in the final picture; Leitner does sell their own cargo tie downs that work with the extrusion so not a total loss.
Link to product: https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/prod...go-system-rjr6l-za5tb-c9hda-cy93l-h3sap-gzrwt
Sponsored

takeitsleazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2008 JL
If I didn’t want coverage for my dogs, I’d 100% get this rack. Best one out there.

How were the nutserts to install? They come with a tool? I hate those things lol

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Yep, I have the same problems. The help disappears when its time for the hard labor and they never, ever put their tools away.

OP
OP
JeepDadiator

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
I have thought about possibly sliding some Tonneau cover style snaps into the extrusions and making a bikini top or even full top for it when full coverage is desired... but focusing on other things first too many ideas not enough time...

Not going to lie the inserts were a pain - first one spun immediately. They did provide the tool which I used and the recommended drill bit size. Had to do the double nut method and apply quite a bit of effort but once I got the process down on the first two the others went well. Leitner included four extra inserts, the instructions said they only provide two, but I had four so that was nice.

This kit is included with the rack: https://www.leitnerdesigns.com/products/rivet-replacement-kit
only difference is that the bolts are black when you get it with the rack.

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
I love this rack... Being able to put a motorcycle in the bed and have a rack is great... The only thing that i wish was magically possible is to still seal the bed/make it a water resistant bed (soft tonneau cover style) for everyday taking stuff in the bed and protecting it from rain/dust/prying eyes and sticky fingers.

Thx

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepDadiator

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
I have thought about that as well. With the abundance of T-slot I have been kicking around the idea of making my own canvas or even hard panels (aluminum or carbon) that would attach using the Leitner Traklok bolts closing it off in more of a topper configuration. Before I committed to this rack I was working on my own model possibly using precision tube laser and 80/20 and modeled up some panels but then I realized I was lacking in spare time! The concept would apply to the Leitner rack too so maybe I will resurrect the idea. The Leitner rack does have T-slot on the inside above the bed/cover area so even what you are referring to could likely be done relatively easily. I am working on a bed slide that attaches to that area and rolls along the top of my decked system.

mtngoat92081

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Max Tow, Mazdaspeed 3
I love this rack... Being able to put a motorcycle in the bed and have a rack is great... The only thing that i wish was magically possible is to still seal the bed/make it a water resistant bed (soft tonneau cover style) for everyday taking stuff in the bed and protecting it from rain/dust/prying eyes and sticky fingers.

Thx
This is the type of rack I have been after. Like AEsco, I want to be able to slide or remove the rear crossbar out of the way to load taller cargo like bikes. Why aren't there more modular racks out there that do this.

Can anyone comment on how much this basic rack system weighs?

AEsco48

First Name
AndresE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Mech Engineer/MBA/Entrepreneur
This is the type of rack I have been after. Like AEsco, I want to be able to slide or remove the rear crossbar out of the way to load taller cargo like bikes. Why aren't there more modular racks out there that do this.

Can anyone comment on how much this basic rack system weighs?
They have a patent on the movable cross bar (good for them).
My understanding, without actually done a comparison, is that it’s super light since the main structural members are aluminum.

OP
OP
JeepDadiator

JeepDadiator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Engineer
Their website lists the forged version at 85lbs. This and the fact that they advertise the load ratings:
Off-road dynamic: 400lbs
On-road dynamic: 800lbs
Static (parked): 1400lbs
Were the main selling points for me - less impact to overall cargo capacity greatest strength to weight ratio and the sliding bar! Unbeatable. Have hauled 12' loads of wood/roofing material and then even a refrigerator both on the top of the rack and down in the bed with the bar out of the way. Cannot say enough good things about it.
Sponsored