First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
Moisture wicks into cables, and the finer the braid - the more smaller strands, the more it wicks. It will follow the copper clear up into the insulation.
Force an oxidation preventing substance like a no-ox product, dielectric grease, etc. into the wire end where it enters insulation. It'll help some.
The two long cables that came with my Badland were too long for my hook-up to the battery and were not used. It was the cable that ran from the relay box to the motor that failed. I tried to use those cables to replace the corroded ones but were also corroded. They were stored in my shop not out in the weather. I believe these cables were made in a harsh environment and never had a chance. However, it didn't cost much to replace the three cables.

There was a YouTube video a few years ago of a man doing a review of the Badlands 12k ( other style not the Apex). He took the planetary gears out and deburred all of the gears a housing edges. He explained how difficult it was to operate the engage release handle. When I saw the poor workmanship of the gear set, I decided against buying another Badland and got the Warn. Now I never disassembled the Warn to see the quality, so it is hard to make a fair comparison.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The two long cables that came with my Badland were too long for my hook-up to the battery and were not used. It was the cable that ran from the relay box to the motor that failed. I tried to use those cables to replace the corroded ones but were also corroded. They were stored in my shop not out in the weather. I believe these cables were made in a harsh environment and never had a chance. However, it didn't cost much to replace the three cables.

There was a YouTube video a few years ago of a man doing a review of the Badlands 12k ( other style not the Apex). He took the planetary gears out and deburred all of the gears a housing edges. He explained how difficult it was to operate the engage release handle. When I saw the poor workmanship of the gear set, I decided against buying another Badland and got the Warn. Now I never disassembled the Warn to see the quality, so it is hard to make a fair comparison.
There's a YT video of a guy who opened up his Badlands Apex winch showing the insides (he twisted the winch plate which stressed the winch and cracked the top housing) - it was actually good inside. They are obviously trying to "rebrand" themselves.
I had mine partially apart to re-route the power wire when I installed it on my '22. It had been on my 2020 for a couple of years and noted no corrosion with any wires.
Maybe they had problems like you had and made some changes????
Mine works really smoothly. No problems both times I used it (once in the cold of winter)

Maybe you'll never have reason to open up the Warn - leaving us assuming it's fine.