First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Does anybody make a cage type lift gate for racks? Many racks have rails on the side that prevent entry from the sides and roof top tents that prevent access from above. All it would take is a swing down gate that can only be opened when the tailgate is down and the whole bed area would be fairly secure. You wouldn't have to worry so much about your bed when you are on the road in a restaurant. You could even keep pets in the back. It could even be made aftermarket and bolted to the existing rack. You could put hydraulic struts on it to keep it up when accessing the bed. Remove it on days you decide it's in the way.
Sponsored

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Does anybody make a cage type lift gate for racks? Many racks have rails on the side that prevent entry from the sides and roof top tents that prevent access from above. All it would take is a swing down gate that can only be opened when the tailgate is down and the whole bed area would be fairly secure. You wouldn't have to worry so much about your bed when you are on the road in a restaurant. You could even keep pets in the back. It could even be made aftermarket and bolted to the existing rack. You could put hydraulic struts on it to keep it up when accessing the bed. Remove it on days you decide it's in the way.
The engineer in you is showing.😉
Design it, build it, and they will come.
Great idea.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Xtrusion-overland.com doesn't have one for their rack yet, but I'm pretty sure it is one of the items they have in the works. I'm planning on a tire carrier rear bumper that will block the back side mostly anyways.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
I don't recall the brand, but someone makes a rear panel that lifts up.

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Zroadz is close. You could probably modify it so the tailgate lock prevents opening but my opinion is that it would limit functionality.