Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
This is actually completely wrong.
No, it's not. For one, what you claim to have done is not what I said couldn't be done. Now, go do the same thing, wait an hour, and try it again. The codes change. They are not good for a long time.

but I verified it with my service manager.
Service managers, some of the most clueless people who spend the most time pretending they know anything about cars.

I'd love to see actual documented evidence of someone being able to unlock, start, and DRIVE a vehicle with a replicated proximity remote. I can't find anything reputable. There's a difference between being able to send the standard remote RF commands like unlock/start and the radio used for the proximity which allows you to DRIVE the vehicle. Two different things that have to be faked.

5. Keep the FOB as far away from your vehicle as you can.
This is the only accurate bit. A friend had her car pilfered by petty thieves because her key was hanging on the wall just inside the door, close enough to the car that they could open the doors. Still would not have started or driven though. I've verified that where we hang the keys for our cars, nothing would work. You can't even get the Gladiator to unlock if the key is sitting on the bumper.
Sponsored

mep4wd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Consultant, Retired
Service managers, some of the most clueless people who spend the most time pretending they know anything about cars.

I agree that some service managers are better than others, but so far the guy I have been working with has shown intelligence, integrity, is well organized, he's up front with the bad news, listens to me, has been at this dealership a very long time, is likeable and has earned my trust.

No, it's not. For one, what you claim to have done is not what I said couldn't be done. Now, go do the same thing, wait an hour, and try it again. The codes change. They are not good for a long time.

I didn't claim to have done it personally. I first heard about it and like you I was skeptical. I then asked someone I trust about it. Just got off the phone with my insurance guy. He said yes, it does happen.

You were right when you said the codes change. However it doesn't take that long for their device to find, decode, and provide the gateway to a car that's parked outside. To think the key FOB is bulletproof is to deny reality. It's software and firmware coded by humans. If one human can code it, another determined person, with time and money can hack it. All these magic devices do is force thieves to be as smart as the guys who developed them. Scary to think, but there is a back door to every black box.

There is no perfect security measure. However, a vehicle parked in a garage, with the door closed, when it's not on the road, is far less likely to be stolen or broken into. That was the main point of my response.

Dqban

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
Occupation
APRN

I'd love to see actual documented evidence of someone being able to unlock, start, and DRIVE a vehicle with a replicated proximity remote. I can't find anything reputable. There's a difference between being able to send the standard remote RF commands like unlock/start and the radio used for the proximity which allows you to DRIVE the vehicle. Two different things that have to be faked.

This is the only accurate bit. A friend had her car pilfered by petty thieves because her key was hanging on the wall just inside the door, close enough to the car that they could open the doors. Still would not have started or driven though. I've verified that where we hang the keys for our cars, nothing would work. You can't even get the Gladiator to unlock if the key is sitting on the bumper.
you must not understand how relay attacks work...the code can change all day long it doesn't matter. Your basically tricking the key fob into thinking your laptop is the car. This vulnerability has existed in key fobs for years. The stand alone device we used/based it off of is a raspbery pi modified for this specific task. You can find the instructions on the internet, her instructions came from her professor but she was responsible for the coding. Ive tinkered with Rbpi before so I helped. Once your in range of the key, takes about 15-30 seconds with a good connection. You gotta be in range of both key and car for this particular device to work....and thats the main downside. It still requires a relative close proximity to the key and likely car owner thus increasing risk of detection

This form of attack is very popular in europe and has been for years. Audi/vw and rang rovers were very vulnerable to this. The algorithm most key fob codes were based off got doxed many years ago. I remember seeing the code on torrent sites when limewire was still popular.

There are tons of news stories regarding this and people have been demonstrating proof of concept devices for this exact task at defcon since....forever. Law enforcement has been warning off this form of theft for years.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
They were up to no good. If you can afford it, I recommend moving. I know crime happens everywhere bu what you described doesn’t happen everywhere.
You’d be surprised. If you live near humans, it happens, unfortunately. Keep your Jeep locked and insured, and sleep well. Don’t sell your house over this, unless you just want to upgrade.

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
We moved about 9 years ago. Before that, we'd been in the other place 7 years. In those 7 years we had two car break-ins (broke windows, stole stereo and stuff), found a gangbanger prowling the yard at 2am, and a few similar things. In 9 years here, we've seen one instance of kids going around and opening unlocked cars taking things of value.

There IS a difference in neighborhoods.
Sponsored