Sponsored

Lots of wind noise from top of windshield. Anything I can do to reduce it?

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Title says it all. Went on a trip over the weekend, about 5 hours total at 72-76mph. Had lots of wind noise from the top of the windshield/freedom panels. Anything I could try to remedy this?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Are the freedom panels properly seated and sitting down so they aren't proud of the top of the windshield frame?
About a year or so ago someone found theirs stuck up a bit - but I can't recall if all they did was remove and reset them or what.

NewGladdyOWNR

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
MRI Technologist
Title says it all. Went on a trip over the weekend, about 5 hours total at 72-76mph. Had lots of wind noise from the top of the windshield/freedom panels. Anything I could try to remedy this?
I installed a Hothead Headliner with the sound assassin strips, over the weekend. Noticeable road noise reduction (not dramatic), sound system sounds better and temperature control is drastically different. I would suggest researching headliners and see which would suits your needs.
Jeep Gladiator Lots of wind noise from top of windshield. Anything I can do to reduce it? 5076D704-DFC0-4207-AC7E-47195D06E1D8
Jeep Gladiator Lots of wind noise from top of windshield. Anything I can do to reduce it? D3E94A29-3EA7-406E-BB18-AA7D5E17F64D
Jeep Gladiator Lots of wind noise from top of windshield. Anything I can do to reduce it? BF671073-52AB-4B16-B848-4DB2A5AE0CB4

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
1) you are driving a brick on wheels - you will get far more wind noise then if you were driving something like an Explorer.
2) headliners might help deaden some of the sound.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But he's talking wind noise in a specific location - I do NOT have that noise. Mine in fact is pretty quiet along that area specifically. Most of the sound in mine is road noise. Wind noise is more general and "over-all" - almost nothing of note at the top of the windshield area. So his shouldn't be noisy there either unless there's something different about his. Mine is only equipped with the MOPAR padding.
If mine is quiet - should his not be as quiet there without special insulating?
I have to assume he's owned the truck a while - a few months anyway - from the join date (could be wrong) so I assume he's talking like it's not always been that way.
That could be an incorrect assumption.
But my contention is that mine is quiet in that area, no wind noise from there - so why is his different?

Sponsored

OP
OP

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
Are the freedom panels properly seated and sitting down so they aren't proud of the top of the windshield frame?
About a year or so ago someone found theirs stuck up a bit - but I can't recall if all they did was remove and reset them or what.
I will check that, but I think they are installed correctly
I installed a Hothead Headliner with the sound assassin strips, over the weekend. Noticeable road noise reduction (not dramatic), sound system sounds better and temperature control is drastically different. I would suggest researching headliners and see which would suits your needs.
Jeep Gladiator Lots of wind noise from top of windshield. Anything I can do to reduce it? BF671073-52AB-4B16-B848-4DB2A5AE0CB4
I have the factory headliners. Not an option box I would have checked, but the dealer had this one on the lot. Im pretty sure this is a seal problem
1) you are driving a brick on wheels - you will get far more wind noise then if you were driving something like an Explorer.
2) headliners might help deaden some of the sound.
I understand that I’m not driving something aerodynamic, but there should not be severe air leaks bad enough that I can’t have a conversation with my passengers. Headliners will not help as I think this is a seal problem

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have the factory headliners. Not an option box I would have checked, but the dealer had this one on the lot. Im pretty sure this is a seal problem
I understand that I’m not driving something aerodynamic, but there should not be severe air leaks bad enough that I can’t have a conversation with my passengers. Headliners will not help as I think this is a seal problem
That was my understanding - that you knew what you had and it was a specific area, not general wind noise.
Honestly, the sales guy warned me "this will be noisy" and I'm wondering - compared to what, exactly? It ain't as quiet as my Silverado was, but that truck was a tank, SLOPED glass, thick cab walls, no drip rails, etc. My JT is almost as quiet as my F250 was except for the road noise.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Escape, Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Firecracker Red Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Misunderstood what your wind noise issue was, did not realise that it was sounding like an air leak - I presume it sounds a bit like a cracked window air noise then? Bit of a whistle/shriek? If that is the case I would agree it might be a mis-sealed freedom panel.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Back in about the winter of 2019-2020 there was a member who had a similar noise - wind noise at the top front. He posted pictures of his roof and you could JUST MAKE OUT (barely) that his panels stood a bit proud of the top of the windshield. I recall going right out to mine to see how mine fit and mine were even - maybe not quite even, definitely not above the top of the windshield frame. He found it was a fitment issue. Now that I think about it - I think maybe his dealer took care of it..........

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The front retainer brackets for the freedom tops are adjustable up and down using a torx head bit on their mounting screws. Adjust them down a bit to pull the front edge of the freedom panels down tighter.

Sponsored

OP
OP

King Nothing

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 2500
Occupation
Truck Driver
The front retainer brackets for the freedom tops are adjustable up and down using a torx head bit on their mounting screws. Adjust them down a bit to pull the front edge of the freedom panels down tighter.
Thank you. I’ll give that a try

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
IN the attached instructions, step 6 shows the small torx head screws to adjust the front, and step 3 shows the larger ones that allow the entire rear bracket to slide up and down.
Sponsored

Attachments