Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I know this is a bit of a thread revival. But unlike some on here, I prefer to not start a new one on a similar concern. So hopefully someone can add more input Im seeking.

Soon I'll be going to the Mopar 2" lift. I prefer to do the install myself. Don't claim to be a mechanic but I know enough to get me into trouble. Plus I like wrenching on my rig. I did install my Rubicon take offs (shock/springs only) and leveling kit myself. So I figure its not much more involved. And by watching some of the people I see on Youtube, gives me even more confidence.

In any case, I was wanted to install the new LCA's first with the wheels still on before doing anything else and not necessarily go in order of the lift instructions. Figured not only would it be easier but I prefer not to fight with the axle moving when it's lifted doing the LCA's since that seems to be the only real struggle of doing the install in a driveway with basic tools as I plan to.

So I guess my question is in doing it for purposes of adding a lift, before doing anything else involved with the lift, can I just do the new LCA's first (and not go in order of the instructions) considering the lift instructions calls for all arms to be loosen first anyways. I figured to make things easier I can knock out the new control arms with the wheels on the ground before raising it and doing all the spring, link, and shock work. Anyone have experience with doing it this way when installing a lift?
Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
Not precisely what you're asking but I found that moving a hole farther down on my relocation brackets (essentially the same as lengthening the control arms) was much easier with the wheels off the ground. Just did one side at a time, but with both wheels in the air.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
i had no problem installing the mopar lower control arms with my vehicle on the ground. They arent that much longer than the stocks.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the MOPAR lift kit lower control arms a week ago and don't even have a lift installed. I did raise the front of the truck and put the front axle on a couple of short stands to give me a bit more room and allow me to turn the front wheels without the resistance of concrete (easier to get to the front LCA bolt heads with my impact)
But it was easy - I used a ratchet strap to move the axle just a bit to get the bolts in, did one side at a time.

Yes, when I install different springs I'll have to loosen those lower control arm bolts all over again, but big deal. They aren't that hard - and I wanted to see the effect of the longer arms on a stock truck.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
I installed the MOPAR lift kit lower control arms a week ago and don't even have a lift installed. I did raise the front of the truck and put the front axle on a couple of short stands to give me a bit more room and allow me to turn the front wheels without the resistance of concrete (easier to get to the front LCA bolt heads with my impact)
But it was easy - I used a ratchet strap to move the axle just a bit to get the bolts in, did one side at a time.

Yes, when I install different springs I'll have to loosen those lower control arm bolts all over again, but big deal. They aren't that hard - and I wanted to see the effect of the longer arms on a stock truck.
My experience similar. Torquing the rear LCA was the only problem I had. I lifted the rear on jack stands to get the space. I only weigh 170 so getting to 200 ft lbs was fun.

Sponsored

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Glad I found this thread, just got my longer Mopad LCA and AEV 2" lift this weekend. If I'm understanding this correctly, I should loosen all bolts on the upper and lower front CAs, replace the LCAs and loosely put the bolts back in, then follow the AEV instructions for the lift?

Another question, is there any risk breaking any of the CA bolts using my electric impact driver on or off? I'll off course set everything to torque with a wrench when it's on the ground but to get the bolts snug, any issues using the gun?

KevinM60

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
CAD/CAM
Glad I found this thread, just got my longer Mopad LCA and AEV 2" lift this weekend. If I'm understanding this correctly, I should loosen all bolts on the upper and lower front CAs, replace the LCAs and loosely put the bolts back in, then follow the AEV instructions for the lift?

Another question, is there any risk breaking any of the CA bolts using my electric impact driver on or off? I'll off course set everything to torque with a wrench when it's on the ground but to get the bolts snug, any issues using the gun?
I did the AEV 2" lift and Mopar LCAs a few weeks ago and did the lift according to procedure first then switched out the LCAs before tightening them up but I think either order works just as good.
As far as the impact driver, it's safe (and probably necessary) to loosen the bolts with the impact but unless you can set the torque accurately you risk overtightening the bolts and breaking something.
Sponsored