Sponsored

LSPI / Engine Knock - how many are using ESS?

Kblanton

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Sport S
Occupation
Sales
Well guess what Papa, I found this out by accident before installing the Tazer. I ran a test where I remembered to turn it off and drove it a few days in the exact same situations and never had any problem with the auto nanny turned off.

As for the Tazer, I installed it and married it. Turned auto nanny and traction control off and that is the only reason I bought it. To keep those 2 switches in the off position.

Driven my truck many miles since then and have no issues. I only "hate" the system because you can't turn it off from the factory. Those switches should have the same feature from the facotry as useing the Tazer.

Here we go again with another you don't need a Tazer and you don't know what you are talking about thread......
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I only "hate" the system because you can't turn it off from the factory. Those switches should have the same feature from the facotry as useing the Tazer.
They have to include the feature as it's designed and installed to get credit from the EPA. If you want Jeep to survive and product SUVs and trucks, they have to be able to use whatever tricks they can to get points from the EPA toward their CAFE numbers.

You actually don't need tazer to disable ESS automatically at each start.
A simple relay (or switching transister) and timer circuit will do the same for a few bucks.
All tazer does is send a "I've hit the button" signal after the vehicle has started. It's not hard to do the same with a basic circuit in parallel with that switch.
I haven't yet tried but I bet I could build a circuit for both ESS and traction control.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They have to include the feature as it's designed and installed to get credit from the EPA. If you want Jeep to survive and product SUVs and trucks, they have to be able to use whatever tricks they can to get points from the EPA toward their CAFE numbers.

A simple relay (or switching transister) and timer circuit will do the same for a few bucks.
All tazer does is send a "I've hit the button" signal after the vehicle has started. It's not hard to do the same with a basic circuit in parallel with that switch.
I haven't yet tried but I bet I could build a circuit for both ESS and traction control.
A 1 minute search on amazon found this for $50

https://smile.amazon.com/FURYENGRAVER-Engine-Eliminator-2018-2021-Wrangler/dp/B08YN5S713

I spend half my time in a relatively urban area and find that I like the ESS. It never seems to turn off when it shouldnt.

Though given the implimentation done by FCA, I'm sure that it doesn't actually save me money simply because a DIY battery replacement has gone from $120 and 15 minutes to $300 and an hour plus.

I'm guessiing it doesn't save me $180 worth of gas in the life of the battery (ies).

I'm just spitballing but it would seem that a capacitor of sufficient size would provide the same function as the Aux battery and would last a lifetime.

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
I'm curious about that - did you have a code indicator shown on the dash, or did the diag run cause the dealer to see a transmission failure code?
The only light on the dash was the auto start/stop unavailable message.
I didn't really think to hook up JScan, since there wasn't a check engine light, they just said "Both issues are pulling transmission errors"

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A 1 minute search on amazon found this for $50

https://smile.amazon.com/FURYENGRAVER-Engine-Eliminator-2018-2021-Wrangler/dp/B08YN5S713

I spend half my time in a relatively urban area and find that I like the ESS. It never seems to turn off when it shouldnt.

Though given the implimentation done by FCA, I'm sure that it doesn't actually save me money simply because a DIY battery replacement has gone from $120 and 15 minutes to $300 and an hour plus.

I'm guessiing it doesn't save me $180 worth of gas in the life of the battery (ies).
You don't even need something that complicated..... but yes, it's not hard to find a way, it's not expensive by any stretch, I've build a lot more complex stuff than the circuit I'm talking about and I bet someone else has done the same and has plans out there. Your point is good - does't take google skills or more than a couple of minutes to find something cheap and easy.
What I'm talking about goes behind the panel with the switch, doesn't touch the OBD port or the "firewall", can't be seen or detected by a dealer, has no impact on a flash. The dealer would never find it unless they took panels off.

Edmunds and others have done real-world testing and found - yes, for a typical urban driver, it does save roughly 5 to 10% and they concluded that many could see 8-10% savings in fuel. And - like I've said several times, there's a big list out there of communities, counties, etc. that have "idling laws". Most apply to diesels at this point for they are aiming for gas vehicles next.
Mine works great, my wife has had it on multiple Grand Cherokees and we both note a difference in over-all mpg.

The only light on the dash was the auto start/stop unavailable message.
I didn't really think to hook up JScan, since there wasn't a check engine light, they just said "Both issues are pulling transmission errors"
You don't need a MIL (check engine - Malfunction Indicator Light) to do diagnostics with JSCAN or AlfaOBD, etc. Do freeze frames, capture live logs. I've caught faults where there was never a light triggered. Transient issues don't typically set the MIL trigger.
Software captures the current environment and any faults that are transient or that come up during the testing or logging.
Don't necessarily "wait for a light" if something is amiss. If you have software, you can do what I did - log the issues and conditions at that time, print the log, show the dealer and that gives them clues if they can't duplicate the issue.

Sponsored

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
i hit that off everytime i start my jeep. its annoying does not do anything good at all. you burn more gas when your vehicle first starts. its hard on your starter, battery, and every time it shuts down all your oil runs down, so basically your adding wear to all those parts.
All of those points have been disproven time and time again.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All of those points have been disproven time and time again.
I think I had better go start my truck and leave it running until next time I need it.

Come on, man, the internet says it's all so!

Trouble is, no one reads real info from tech journals or believe experienced people or know what today's starters look like inside.

And here I am - on yet another "ESS sucks, ess tears engines apart" thread.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer

Which is fine by me.

That is another reason why there are so many stripper model Gladiator Sports in rental fleets on tiny tires. Max out MPG average across the Gladiator and the Jeep brand.

I have ESS permanently disabled.

I'll be all for ESS in the future when it can use GPS and cameras to understand when it is beneficial to engage, but for now, no thank you.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Which is fine by me.

That is another reason why there are so many stripper model Gladiator Sports in rental fleets on tiny tires. Max out MPG average across the Gladiator and the Jeep brand.

I have ESS permanently disabled.

I'll be all for ESS in the future when it can use GPS and cameras to understand when it is beneficial to engage, but for now, no thank you.
It will some day............. more and more communities are coming up with "anti-idling" laws. No reason they can't tell where you are - like the GPS does when showing you the speed limits for the roads you are on - and handle it in a more granular way. I use my foot to modulate the brake and control it. In the future - it will either not be needed or there will be better versions. GM and Ford are working together to make it a lot better - Jeep had better keep up. Maybe they will now with other resources available to them.

In any case - the "knock" or pinging isn't because ESS is part of the package. There's other stuff going on and frankly, it's made worse with forums and fakebook because any time someone has a rattle they equate it with blown engines and all of the evil stuff forced on them by the auto makers and government. So any rattle, big or small, is suddenly the exact same thing and let's blame it on something we don't even understand.
Sponsored