Manual Transmission - not holding 4th gear

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Billet silver JTR 6 speed
So this is certainly not what I wanted for my first post......I've been lurking for several months mulling over a purchase, and finally pulled the trigger - picked up my billet silver 6spd Rubicon last week. It was ordered on 10/7 and I picked it up on 11/9, so an excellent turn around by FCA. Dealer experience was excellent - got ~4% under invoice and they gave me $2k more than anyone else on my JK Sport trade. So - I was a happy camper leaving the dealer and have been for the past week. It's a second vehicle, so I only have 197 miles on it. Took it out this afternoon to run some errands, and......it won't hold 4th gear. All others working fine, but when I shift into 4th and engage the clutch, it pops out into neutral. If I pull back on the shifter, I can keep it in gear - but as soon as I let go it pops out. There is also a noticeable vibration when I engage 4th that is not present in any other gear.

So - I took it directly to the dealer and they got it into the shop this afternoon, but no word from them yet. I'm really hoping for a simple issue with shift cables/linkage.....but I think I'm going to be disappointed. I scanned the web and found lots of references to issues with the JK tranny, but not much to go on with the JL/JT tranny.

Any ideas from the collective wisdom of the forum?
Sponsored

mojocho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ugh. No helpful words of wisdom, but just a good luck. Please do keep us posted.

OP
OP
hawk14414

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My dealer informed me today that Chrysler has authorized a new tranny. Probably the right direction.....but I will wind up with a 197 mile truck that has already had it's guts pulled out, which obviously is not optimal. I'm thinking about diminished value.....I would guess this will show up on Carfax as a major repair. Anyone know for sure on this....will it ultimately show on a Carfax report?

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
So this is certainly not what I wanted for my first post......I've been lurking for several months mulling over a purchase, and finally pulled the trigger - picked up my billet silver 6spd Rubicon last week. It was ordered on 10/7 and I picked it up on 11/9, so an excellent turn around by FCA. Dealer experience was excellent - got ~4% under invoice and they gave me $2k more than anyone else on my JK Sport trade. So - I was a happy camper leaving the dealer and have been for the past week. It's a second vehicle, so I only have 197 miles on it. Took it out this afternoon to run some errands, and......it won't hold 4th gear. All others working fine, but when I shift into 4th and engage the clutch, it pops out into neutral. If I pull back on the shifter, I can keep it in gear - but as soon as I let go it pops out. There is also a noticeable vibration when I engage 4th that is not present in any other gear.

So - I took it directly to the dealer and they got it into the shop this afternoon, but no word from them yet. I'm really hoping for a simple issue with shift cables/linkage.....but I think I'm going to be disappointed. I scanned the web and found lots of references to issues with the JK tranny, but not much to go on with the JL/JT tranny.

Any ideas from the collective wisdom of the forum?
Hi Tom,
We're sorry to hear about this. We have responded to your PM and will continue assisting you from there!
Alex
JeepCares

OP
OP
hawk14414

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks - sent details via PM.

Sponsored

OP
OP
hawk14414

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So just to close this off - Jeep replaced my 197 mile old 6 speed with a new unit. Apparently the failed unit is headed back to corporate for tear down - I'd love to hear the results to understand root cause. In any event, the Jeep is back in my hands and all good after another 150 miles. I'm still aggravated about potential for diminished value in the event I want to trade out a couple of years down the road...not to mentioned concerned about long term reliability.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
So just to close this off - Jeep replaced my 197 mile old 6 speed with a new unit. Apparently the failed unit is headed back to corporate for tear down - I'd love to hear the results to understand root cause. In any event, the Jeep is back in my hands and all good after another 150 miles. I'm still aggravated about potential for diminished value in the event I want to trade out a couple of years down the road...not to mentioned concerned about long term reliability.
Sounds like overall a good experience with a relatively quick turnaround. Who is your dealer?

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Where I come from, a tranny swap by FCA qualified techs would not be a concern. Diminished value is much more appropriate for an accident where the full extent of damage is not knowable. I can’t imagine how not holding a specific gear can be anything but a tranny problem. They gave you a new tranny so the problem should be addressed. Not taking anything away from any mechanics, but a trans swap is not that difficult. Rebuilding them is a whole ‘nuther thing.

Drive on and enjoy. That truck is still worth the same money.

OP
OP
hawk14414

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer experience was excellent, for sure - Marc Motors in Sanford, ME. The new tranny arrived at the dealer the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and I had the truck back Friday morning at 11. No issues whatsoever with the dealer, they have been great!

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Great news ! Nothing to worry about. Manual trannys either work or they don't. Once the gears and synchros are setup properly from the factory, it should last forever as long as you do not grind the gears or double the horsepower. You are in great shape - Enjoy !

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
The dealer experience was excellent, for sure - Marc Motors in Sanford, ME. The new tranny arrived at the dealer the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and I had the truck back Friday morning at 11. No issues whatsoever with the dealer, they have been great!
Good to know - I’ll keep them in mind for service.
Thanks.

OP
OP
hawk14414

hawk14414

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent a few minutes today reading about Ford's current woes regarding transmissions in Fiesta and Focus, and in particular the crappy way they have handled it...a really poor display of customer focus. In contrast, today Jeep authorized extending my warranty to 7/75 via Max Care.

For free….

That's a pretty good way to generate customer satisfaction and loyalty. I really appreciate how Jeep has handled this, as well as my dealer....250 miles into the new tranny and all is well.

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
I spent a few minutes today reading about Ford's current woes regarding transmissions in Fiesta and Focus, and in particular the crappy way they have handled it...a really poor display of customer focus. In contrast, today Jeep authorized extending my warranty to 7/75 via Max Care.

For free….

That's a pretty good way to generate customer satisfaction and loyalty. I really appreciate how Jeep has handled this, as well as my dealer....250 miles into the new tranny and all is well.
Dear lord don't get me started on the Ford fuck_us ...I have a 2013 and the transmission is supposed to be normal but the shutter you get and the lurches and the oh so fun of leaving from a stop light and people look at you wierd because your going so slow but your hitting the gas and it feels like your still stuck in first gear almost like it's searching for gears to go into. It drives like a Manuel transmission with a kid trying to drive it for the first time. It's not too bad because I just drive it back and forth to work and the transmission issues most of the time don't start until it warms up but it sucks because the engine is great. I have the same engine in my wife's Ford escape and I hit the gas and it feels like a Porsche, like night and day. Can't wait till I can smile while I'm handing over the keys for a gladiator. Sometimes I want to go back to the dealership I got it from and smack the keys in the guy's face that sat there and looked at my wife and I and my one year old son and said yes it's a great dependable vehicle. I bought it for my wife but she was so scared to drive it I wound up buying the escape for her.

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara Tank Green
Dear lord don't get me started on the Ford fuck_us ...I have a 2013 and the transmission is supposed to be normal but the shutter you get and the lurches and the oh so fun of leaving from a stop light and people look at you wierd because your going so slow but your hitting the gas and it feels like your still stuck in first gear almost like it's searching for gears to go into. It drives like a Manuel transmission with a kid trying to drive it for the first time. It's not too bad because I just drive it back and forth to work and the transmission issues most of the time don't start until it warms up but it sucks because the engine is great. I have the same engine in my wife's Ford escape and I hit the gas and it feels like a Porsche, like night and day. Can't wait till I can smile while I'm handing over the keys for a gladiator. Sometimes I want to go back to the dealership I got it from and smack the keys in the guy's face that sat there and looked at my wife and I and my one year old son and said yes it's a great dependable vehicle. I bought it for my wife but she was so scared to drive it I wound up buying the escape for her.
I had my 2018 f250 bought back under NY State lemon law. I purchased it on a Saturday and it went in for service the following Monday due to a cabin water leak I discovered and a timing chain rattle when you let off the gas pedal. It spent 54 days in service. Go to the f150 forum and look at all the problems with the 10 speed and 5.0 (oil consumption, piston slap and tying chain rattle) Ford is complete garbage. I totally feel your pain!

uplandgunner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Ha! I had 2 years totaling over 250 days in the shop chasing an electrical problem on my 2016 JKURHR. They, over time replaced just about every computer and controller not to mention both the front and rear wiring harnesses and the front sway-bar disconnect motor and still the problem kept reoccurring. I finally got so pissed I traded it in for my JT Rubicon.

I was worried about the Carfax report but it did not show a single day time in the shop from the date I bought it. I still got a super trade in value for it. I could not get out of that dealership fast enough fearing something was going to pop up and ring alarm bells.
Sponsored