Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
So, just updated the map on my Uconnect 4c 8.4” touchscreen. What an overly complicated, time consuming, absolute pain in the rear, and completely unnecessary process.

for starters, these things have an internet connection. Why the usb drives and all of the typing of codes? Gotta order the drives, wait for them, and then enter codes into their website to get codes to enter into the radio. 30 minutes for a software update and 30 for the maps. We landed on the moon with less.

you can do better, Jeep.

</rant off>
Since this is a product they charge for, the Activation Code for the Map Update is to make sure everyone pays for it. The information retrieval before ordering is to get the version of the Uconnect software loaded on the head unit. The software on some units is old enough that two separate updates are required to bring it up to the current version. The Map Updates are designed to operate only with the latest Uconnect software, so ordering the Map Update also gets you a Uconnect software update. The update process is time consuming, at about one hour with the engine running, but didn't really seem to be very difficult.
Sponsored

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
$149.00, I will think about it, I better hurry though, the free $3.95 shipping may just be for a limited time.

My Garmin Zumo and an older Drive 60 have free lifetime map updates, they usually update about 3-4 times a year.

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
I updated mine and it still doesn't have some roads that I know have been around for a couple years. I think I wasted 99.00.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Its actually not.

Read their privacy policies.

Apple is far from perfect. But the best you will get these days. Either way. One less company tracking me is still a good thing.
Oh, apples privacy "policy" ...

After reading that, Ill sleep the sleep of angels ... Im invisible !!!

aha ...

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, apples privacy "policy" ...

After reading that, Ill sleep the sleep of angels ... Im invisible !!!

aha ...
I have ADD also. Sometimes I don't get to the second sentence. I guess you never made it there either. I never said I was invisible. Just that Apple is the LEAST SHITTY company. And even if they were just as bad as everyone else. Its still ne less terrible company tracking me.

"Apple is far from perfect. But the best you will get these days. Either way. One less company tracking me is still a good thing."

Sponsored

Zilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Their "updates" are worthless. The last time (only time) I bought their crap, it was worthless. The update missed several new roads and bridges in my area that had been completed 3 years earlier. Never again!

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I have ADD also. Sometimes I don't get to the second sentence. I guess you never made it there either. I never said I was invisible. Just that Apple is the LEAST SHITTY company. And even if they were just as bad as everyone else. Its still ne less terrible company tracking me.

"Apple is far from perfect. But the best you will get these days. Either way. One less company tracking me is still a good thing."

Yep, with the tech companies today, "least" shitty is still a turd ...

If not tracking you means that they still know where you are or at least where you have been, the names and ages of your kids, dogs, and goldfish, what you like to eat and how much you make (for starters), than yep, I agree ...

They also likely know your architype, purchase and search history, political affiliation, and where you go to church or to drink ...

Unless you use a flip phone and leave it off most of the time and never use the internet or credit cards ...

Apple is a whore just like all the rest although I will concede that facebook is a street walker while apple may be a simple run of the mill call girl ...

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, with the tech companies today, "least" shitty is still a turd ...

If not tracking you means that they still know where you are or at least where you have been, the names and ages of your kids, dogs, and goldfish, what you like to eat and how much you make (for starters), than yep, I agree ...

They also likely know your architype, purchase and search history, political affiliation, and where you go to church or to drink ...

Unless you use a flip phone and leave it off most of the time and never use the internet or credit cards ...

Apple is a whore just like all the rest although I will concede that facebook is a street walker while apple may be a simple run of the mill call girl ...
I'm sure you remember the recent news about Google hiding the control to turn off location services from people. My in-laws have an android phone. I tried to help them view what apps can see their locations and also to come up with a way to turn off location services. It was exceedingly difficult. I had do dig 5 or 6 levels deep into a menu for each app.

Apple puts it all on one screen. And if I want to disable location services all I have to do is push the side button and say "Siri turn off location services" and its done.

Far from perfect. But less terrible.

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
holy cow, the Jeep Nav frustrates the bejeezus out of me. On more than one occasion, it steered me wrong on taking exits on INTERSTATES! C'mon!!! If you are going to get one thing right, it's the interstates, right? That's priority #1 on any map. I cost me so much time.

Also, the ability to search for a location is the absolute worst. Can someone tell me what the proper thing is to say on the voice command to launch directions to location by name? I've battled it so many times. Like, for example, I'm driving and I need directions to "Cabelas". What can I say on the voice commands to get that going? that dumb thing just keeps fighting with me about what state I'm looking for, or what street it is. No one memorizes the addresses anymore.

Android Auto with WAZE

MarkyMark80

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales
Bought a new Cherokee years ago, new NAV was worthless compared to the old Garmin they used to install. Since then I've just used Google Maps or now Waze. They should just do away with the onboard NAV system and concentrate on making the rest of the system better.

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Nothing like paying $150 once a year for something that is probably 6+ months out of date by the time you install it.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The updates are not the most current, due to the amount of time it takes them to assemble all the data. For many, buying every few years is sufficient. I bought the update because it was on sale for $99, I've had the truck for over two years, and I plan to keep it for a long time. The Map update included the latest Uconnect update. It seems to work a little better, and the SiriusXM Favorites function now works as expected.

Clayton4971

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Wish I had read this thread before I order mine 😞 product arrived Friday yesterday I started the install and as stated above it was a pain . Then when I got ready to put the serial number in the box said sample sample they forgot to put the serial number on the box 😡 after calling customer service number and talking to them looks like I am not the only one . What a mistake!!!
Sponsored