John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired Soldier
Day 7 – Sunday 21 May

I know I needed a break from harder trails so today was my Wife’s choice of what to do for the day. On Thursday, we passed a place called “Hole in the Rock” on our way to Elephant Hill. She ended up researching that so that is where we went after a good breakfast at the Moab Diner. We took the tour of the cave house which was pretty fun and worth the $6.50 per person. There is also a lot of oddities around the stop so we spent some time there before heading back to Moab for lunch. After lunch we decided to head up Potash Road to see the Thelma and Louise Point. Potash Road was a 2wd road with no major challenges but the views were pretty awesome. The Potash evaporation pits are a site that is not expected. We ended up stopping at the Thelma and Louise point and attempted to guesstimate the exact spot they drove off the cliff for a pic. I assume we were pretty close. After we were done there, I asked if we wanted to go back the way we came or take the Schafer switchbacks. My wife said that there was no reason to go back the way we came. I was honestly expecting them to be worse than they were. After the switchbacks at Elephant hill they weren’t too bad except for the height. We only passed one vehicle coming the other direction on a corner so we didn’t have to mess around with making room for another vehicle though.

IMG_20230521_143246056_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230521_111912239_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kajo

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Soldier
Day 8 – Monday 22 May

This was the day I was waiting for. Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. I was still running solo so I went hoping to find a small group to run with. While airing down at the trail head I saw a 4Door Rubicon JL and a Rubicon JT airing down. I asked if they minded having some company. Of course they said no problem. So with this group of three, we headed up the switchbacks with me taking the tail. Once we got to the first difficult switchback the two vehicles stopped and everyone got out. I realized at that moment it was going to be a long day. After spotting both vehicles through the easiest line I could find for them, with a bit of stress from the family members, I ended up taking on a harder line with no issues. Both drivers came up to me and said I could lead. We ended up stopping often for parts of the trail that I thought were easy to spot them through. I also ended up spotting them through the Waterfall, the gladiator through the V-notch after I walked it with no spotter, even though my wife was freaking out, and the Big Ledges before the turnout to Golden Spike. I think it was about 1:30 by this time and could see stress and worry in everyone’s eyes. Then it got worse. Right before I was about to attempt the Launch Pad, over the radio I hear, we need to turn around because it is going to rain and the trail will be impassable.” So I stopped to see what the problem was. A single rain drop had landed on the JL’s windshield. Well, that sent my wife’s anxiety though the roof and with a 2 to 1 vote in my Gladiator and 5 to 0 vote in the rest of the group we turned around and headed back the way we came. One of the highpoints of the trip was going to be the Golden Crack after seeing it in the magazines since the 80’s gone in a flash. But it gives me an excuse to go back to Moab again.

VID_20230522_122357812_Moment.jpg

OP
OP
Kajo

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Soldier
Day 9 – Tuesday 23 May

We ended up cancelling our White Rim ride due to the flooding, If I couldn’t do the entire loop the thrill was gone for me. Instead we did an easy wheeling day today and would go visit Canyonlands on Wednesday. Wanting to see a different area, we headed north. We ended up doing three easy trails and my daughter drove the entire day. In the morning we did the court house rock trail, which was pretty cool but was able to spot my daughter through while stay in the passenger seat. After that we had lunch and visited the dinosaur tracks off of Mill Canyon Road and the halfway stage coach and Cotter Mine Trail. After that we hit Tusher tunnel trail, which takes you to a Tusher Tunnel which you can walk through, coming out the other end you see a pretty awesome view. We ended the day on Hidden Canyon. Another nice easy trail. Again, we never had an issue on this day and spent most if it in 4 high so afterwards I realized we didn’t take any pics of the Jeep on the trail.

Jeep Gladiator Maryland to Moab in May 2023 IMG_20230523_152618508_HDR

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kajo

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Soldier
Day 10 – Wednesday 24 May

Canyonlands National Park

The final day we spent in Canyonlands. Again no wheeling but we did about 8 miles of hiking. We tackled Upheaval Dome, Whale Rock, Grand View Point Overlook, White Rim Overlook, and Mesa Arch. The views were amazing and in my opinion the end of White Rim overlook is one of the two best scenery views I have seen, the other being the view from Top of the World.

Thursday 25 May – Saturday 27 May drove back across I-70 to Maryland

We left Moab on Thursday and ended up getting home around 4:00 on Saturday afternoon. Total mileage was 4,839 miles and I bought 311 gallons of fuel for an average of 15.56 MPG. This was less than I expected but I didn’t think this was too bad considering the amount of trails we did, driving across Kansas with headwinds in both directions and climbing the Colorado I-70 mountains which were 4th gear climbs. The KO2’s and minimal lift were smooth as can be on the highway and could comfortably cruise at about 75MPH. Airing them down to 18 PSI gave enough traction that I never felt the need to air down further. I didn’t pick the hardest lines on the trails but the 1 ½” spacer front ¾” space rear with the 37”s and copious skid plates worked great and would drive it across country again tomorrow to tackle even more trails.

IMG_20230524_165811371_HDR.jpg

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Day 9 – Tuesday 23 May

We ended up cancelling out White Rim ride due to the flooding, If I couldn’t do the entire loop the thrill was gone or me. Instead we did an easy wheeling day today and would go visit Canyonlands on Wednesday. Wanting to see a different area, we headed north. WE ended up doing three easy trails and my daughter drove the entire day. IN the morning we did the court house rock trail, which was pretty cool but was able to spot my daughter through while stay in the passenger seat. After that we had lunch and visited the dinosaur tracks off of Mill Canyon Road and the halfway stage coach and Cotter Mine Trail. After that we hit Tusher tunnel trail, which takes you to a Tusher Tunnel which you can walk through, coming out the other end you see a pretty awesome view. We ended the day on Hidden Canyon. Another nice easy trail. Again, we never had an issue on this day and spent most if it in 4high so afterwards I realized we didn’t take any pics of the Jeep on the trail.

Jeep Gladiator Maryland to Moab in May 2023 IMG_20230524_165811371_HDR
I just saw the same message regarding the White Rim. Kind of puts a damper on my trip for July but...its Moab!! :D

I'll be tackling most of the same trails. The "must do's" are: TOTW, White Rim Road (whatever we can do) and Hell's Revenge.

Your pics make me want to leave tonight!! Great pics and glad you guys had fun!!

Sponsored

Mbryson

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Rubicon diesel
Occupation
IT Manager
Cool report!

I'm surprised moab diner was open on Sunday.

I'm on Hells Revenge on Labor Day weekend Sat and Flat Iron Mesa for RR4W Labor Day campout. Hope someone can make it out

OP
OP
Kajo

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Soldier
Cool report!

I'm surprised moab diner was open on Sunday.

I'm on Hells Revenge on Labor Day weekend Sat and Flat Iron Mesa for RR4W Labor Day campout. Hope someone can make it out
OMG, you are right. It was closed, we ended up going Tuesday morning. Now I need to try and remember where we had breakfast on Sunday. Most mornings we ate at the campground.

Last edited:

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTR
Occupation
Financials
The story and the pics were awesome....perhaps the best part is doing these trails with a spacer lift and 37s instead of a $5k invested lift, shocks and wheels..... I'm sure a little more lift could have made it easier or less scraping, but it's really impressive to pushback on the subtle brainwashing of believing what "we need" to get out there...nicely done 👍

OP
OP
Kajo

Kajo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Soldier
The story and the pics were awesome....perhaps the best part is doing these trails with a spacer lift and 37s instead of a $5k invested lift, shocks and wheels..... I'm sure a little more lift could have made it easier or less scraping, but it's really impressive to pushback on the subtle brainwashing of believing what "we need" to get out there...nicely done 👍
Thanks. Exactly, the capabilities of these vehicles stock is awesome. A few mods and they are amazing . I have learned to take the approach of hitting the trail and addressing g areas that need improved over upgrading everything at once.

Mbryson

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager

Jeep Gladiator Maryland to Moab in May 2023 1686327901614

I'm about to put 39" tires on my rig (I'm not but if it was just a Moab toy, that's what I'd do). I just hit the belly and the hitch a LOT in Moab. Other wheeling in the area, I'm mostly fine. To me, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider and Metal Masher are kind of my top end with the JT as it sits. It bumps and scrapes more than I like it to on those trails (that allows a LOT of Moab trails--I've kind of had my fill of the Cliffhanger, Behind the Rocks, Pritchett, etc with my other Jeep. Not interested in doing it in my JT)

Thanks. Exactly, the capabilities of these vehicles stock is awesome. A few mods and they are amazing . I have learned to take the approach of hitting the trail and addressing g areas that need improved over upgrading everything at once.

Kajo is right on. A stock Jeep is WAY more capable than people allow it to be. A stock TJ on 33" tires and a locker or two is EXTREMELY capable. Not everyone needs 40" tires and tons to do Chicken Corners. Nothing wrong with just letting your rig be what you want it to be.

(I would NOT recommend running a JT on 35" tires through 6-7 rated Moab trails, Rubicon or the like unless you're willing to fix it and accept any damage (or do some serious road building--kind of uncool in my opinion. A stacked rock here and there, no biggie. Build a highway... you're on the wrong trail in my opinion))

Sponsored

Solar Sparky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave,
Occupation
Solar inspector
Vehicle Showcase
I just saw the same message regarding the White Rim. Kind of puts a damper on my trip for July but...its Moab!! :D

I'll be tackling most of the same trails. The "must do's" are: TOTW, White Rim Road (whatever we can do) and Hell's Revenge.

Your pics make me want to leave tonight!! Great pics and glad you guys had fun!!
Not getting to do the loop on White Rim, is not the end of your adventures. Out and back in Canyonlands is spectacular. There is no bad views, of lack of things to do. The part of the road that is flooded, is the only part without jaw gaping views. I’m currently looking at going on July 4 weekend. Tossup between Island in the Sky, or Needles. 3-4 days off grid, in extremely remote Utah, is always a winner

Fpolanco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Not getting to do the loop on White Rim, is not the end of your adventures. Out and back in Canyonlands is spectacular. There is no bad views, of lack of things to do. The part of the road that is flooded, is the only part without jaw gaping views. I’m currently looking at going on July 4 weekend. Tossup between Island in the Sky, or Needles. 3-4 days off grid, in extremely remote Utah, is always a winner
My wife and I did a white water rafting trip in 2019. In order to get back to Moab, we had to fly back over canyonlands.

I thought doing Shafer Trail and the rafting was epic. Canyonlands literally goes as far as the eye can see…

I had tears in my eyes…but mostly bc my wife had a death grip on my hands for the entire 45 min flight! 😂

It only puts a damper on it bc I can’t say I did the entire thing. But it’s still going to be epic af!!

Happy jeeping and please report back. Pics or it didn’t happen! 😂

Joe Dillard

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT Mojave, '91 YJ Wrangler, '17 Ram 3500 CTD
Occupation
DoD Contractor
Nicely done. Brings back MANY fond memories.

From 2001 to 2014, I took 30 strait days vacation each year and planned out epic off road trips, always including a week or more in Moab each year during that 30 day period.

Regretfully, when the Fototime pic hosting website caught fire, I lost 10K+ pics. :(

Mbryson

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Nicely done. Brings back MANY fond memories.

From 2001 to 2014, I took 30 strait days vacation each year and planned out epic off road trips, always including a week or more in Moab each year during that 30 day period.

Regretfully, when the Fototime pic hosting website caught fire, I lost 10K+ pics. :(

Sorry you lost your pics. I do recognize the name "Joe Dillard" from way back on the internet days on various forums.
Sponsored