Mileage with doors and roof vs naked

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Have any of you done any long-term tracking of the kind of gas mileage you get when your Jeep is naked vs buttoned up?

I'm planning a camping/wheeling trip this summer that's going to require a 14 hour drive up to Idaho. Besides the fact of not being sure whether I want to beat my body up like that driving naked that far, a trip that's going to be over 1000 freeway miles has significant fuel usage and a couple MPG will make a difference on the pocket book
Sponsored

Tiny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator SportS, manual, soft top, black
I've not noticed a difference of more than an MPG or so. Done a few short interstate trips of 100 miles or so with the wind in my.....hair. 1000 miles is a bunch. I'd keep doors on and just roll down windows and pop the top back (or freedom panels out) for the freer experience. Plus, weather is a wild card.

OP
OP
Orange01z28

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
I've not noticed a difference of more than an MPG or so. Done a few short interstate trips of 100 miles or so with the wind in my.....hair. 1000 miles is a bunch. I'd keep doors on and just roll down windows and pop the top back (or freedom panels out) for the freer experience. Plus, weather is a wild card.
Yup, all things I've thought of. I'd obviously be checking up until a couple days before. I'll probably have enough room in my bed even with my gear to bring the freedom panel bag and keep it in the bed while we're out in the boonies

FutureOdin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I know when I took the top + doors off, I definitely got worse mileage. I'm assuming it wasn't as aerodynamic? But the trip was a 2 MPG decrease or so with everything off.

Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
My MPG seems to go up when it is fully stripped down. I think its because the soft top rolled back acts as a bit of a sail. Right now with the doors on it seems to be getting the worst MPG. Best is when I also had the windshield down.

That being said 1000 highway miles is a long time to have the wind hitting you.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Have any of you done any long-term tracking of the kind of gas mileage you get when your Jeep is naked vs buttoned up?

I'm planning a camping/wheeling trip this summer that's going to require a 14 hour drive up to Idaho. Besides the fact of not being sure whether I want to beat my body up like that driving naked that far, a trip that's going to be over 1000 freeway miles has significant fuel usage and a couple MPG will make a difference on the pocket book
I see no more than 1 MPG difference with doors off and back window out on Soft top with the top still in place as a shade. Fold the top back and it is probably a 2-3 MPG drop from everything on.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I only took the top/doors off for a week, but that week was all street miles. I did get more Smiles Per Gallon.
Same. Slightly better stripped down with tube doors on. Less weight maybe. Who knows. 70% surface street / 30% highway.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Stripping it down creates some aero drag even though you are shedding weight. If you were to drop the glass however I am sure you would see the economy creep back up. If you could remove the cage AND drop the glass it would slip pretty good aside from your mellon in the wind.
Sponsored