Misfire fixes?

Sportyrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, TJ wrangler
Ok. I may be jinxing myself but here goes. We received the JT back 2 weeks ago and have been Monitoring the missfires every time I get in the truck ( wife’s truck so I don’t get to check it every day ) it appears that the missfires have been reduced to the single digits where I was getting hundreds in the same amount of time on 1 bank. The dealer accomplished this by replacing the head on the offending side. Only time will tell if the fix is permanent.
Sponsored

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
I had misfires and check engine lights multiple times in the first 1k miles. Every time it was check at the dealer, they couldn’t replicate. I bought a taser and kept resetting the light looking for a code that named a specific cylinder. Never came. I got my oil changed at 5k miles and no misfires since. Could be I finally got the batteries charged after it sitting on a lot for almost a year, could be junk from breaking it in caused it, could be lucky. I don’t know. Just wanted to share that I have had zero issues after breaking in the engine

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You put miles on it, but the engine was technically broke in when you bought it. By the time an engine leaves my shop in a car, it's broke in.

Jeep Gladiator Misfire fixes? 20201231_094648

Whitarmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2014 JKR
You put miles on it, but the engine was technically broke in when you bought it. By the time an engine leaves my shop in a car, it's broke in.

Jeep Gladiator Misfire fixes? 20201231_094648
Then maybe you can explain what happened cause this is all I can point to. There are still shavings in the first oil change that aren’t there on the second.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Then maybe you can explain what happened cause this is all I can point to. There are still shavings in the first oil change that aren’t there on the second.
I've never had shavings in the first oil change of any engine I've rebuilt.
I have a book from my college days - from Dana/Perfect Circle that explains the "break-in process" for rings and the explanations behind all that happens in new builds (assuming things were done correctly and cleaned properly) Their own bottom line is that if you follow the procedure in their book, when you turn it back over to the customer, it's broken in and no further break-in is necessary. That from the company that made piston rings for decades.
Honestly, I went about 2,000 miles on the first oil in my last build and it wasn't unusual at all, but being paranoid and careful as I am, I usually do change the first oil sooner than subsequent changes.
I would first wonder what the "shavings" were from because no break-in should result in any shavings or anything you can see. It should all be microscopic metal content, not visible shavings.
Any engine that kicked out stuff I could see and describe as "shavings" would actually alarm me.

Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Ok. I may be jinxing myself but here goes. We received the JT back 2 weeks ago and have been Monitoring the missfires every time I get in the truck ( wife’s truck so I don’t get to check it every day ) it appears that the missfires have been reduced to the single digits where I was getting hundreds in the same amount of time on 1 bank. The dealer accomplished this by replacing the head on the offending side. Only time will tell if the fix is permanent.
Hey, Sportyrider1. Should this concern arise again, please let us know. Our team would be happy to look into things further to see where we can assist.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sportyrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, TJ wrangler
Hey, Sportyrider1. Should this concern arise again, please let us know. Our team would be happy to look into things further to see where we can assist.

Kate
Jeep Cares
Kate thank you. I actually have been working with y’all since the first incident and the experience has been excellent but I also have a good dealer. Some of the experience comes from attitude. I know it’s a $50,000 truck but issues happen. Buyback was never a thought because we really like the truck and because it is Punk’n replacement is not a option. My dealer has always put me in high end loaners ( mostly Grand Cherokees ) and Jeep cares has been generous in making things right ( not going into details as every case is individual). I actually am about to call my service manager today just for a final conversation and then close the case for now. Thanks again.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Kate thank you. I actually have been working with y’all since the first incident and the experience has been excellent but I also have a good dealer. Some of the experience comes from attitude. I know it’s a $50,000 truck but issues happen. Buyback was never a thought because we really like the truck and because it is Punk’n replacement is not a option. My dealer has always put me in high end loaners ( mostly Grand Cherokees ) and Jeep cares has been generous in making things right ( not going into details as every case is individual). I actually am about to call my service manager today just for a final conversation and then close the case for now. Thanks again.
I am very happy to hear this, Sportyrider1, a great dealer can make all the difference. We appreciate your follow up and will be here if anything ever changes.

Kate
Jeep Cares

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Systems Engineering
This one was resolved using the TSB related to changing out the spark plugs. Note that it's "intermittent" and "Error warning lamp not requested" - no MIL in this case as it wasn't constant.
What tool (or combination of tools) did you use to generate that detailed freeze frame data?

Looks great!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What tool (or combination of tools) did you use to generate that detailed freeze frame data?

Looks great!
AlfaOBD software and a Bluetooth OBDII adapter. Since I was just reading and logging I didn't need any security bypass cable.

Sponsored

bfitzpatrick02

First Name
Braden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I’ve had my 2022 Mojave for two weeks and now a lil after 1000 miles it’s throwing a p0300. Haven't brought it in to dealer yet. Haven’t felt a difference and no power loss. Hopefully it’s nothing major.

RustySeatbelt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I’ve had my 2022 Mojave for two weeks and now a lil after 1000 miles it’s throwing a p0300. Haven't brought it in to dealer yet. Haven’t felt a difference and no power loss. Hopefully it’s nothing major.
Take it in. Misfires need to be looked at, and if you're getting a CEL you also don't want the dealer claiming you knew about it but never addressed it should something serious happen to the motor.

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
We recommend bringing your Jeep to the attention of a dealership when you have the chance, bfitzpatrick02. If you need support, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Iapexl8r

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator ,2017 grand Cherokee trail hawk,1976 chief ,AMX ,Rebel Machine , INT travelette
here is how I fixed my 2020 missfire situation.

this is what fixed mine results may vary. hopefully this helps somebody

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
here is how I fixed my 2020 missfire situation.

this is what fixed mine results may vary. hopefully this helps somebody
More than one person here has found phaser cleaning to have helped. It can be done with AlfaOBD, JSCAN and perhaps other software.
The phaser cleaning basically works the phasers to clean them.

The CCDIFF is the cam/crank learning and that's what was going on with my 2022.
It's easy to do all of that with the security bypass cable, bluetooth adapter and software like JSCAN, etc.

Apparently the cam/crank learning has been an issue with some 2022s. It was with mine.
It caused anything from really mild misfires you couldn't even feel to wild misfires that caused #2 to not fire at all for about 2 minutes.
Mine was always the left bank, even cylinders.
(throttle learning would be unrelated)
Sponsored