Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
I have mandatory vacation that I have to take next week. I am thinking of driving there and staying in a hotel, Springfield Suites or something.... Maybe May 13 to 16 or something like that.... It's an 11 hour drive for me to get there, do you think it will be worth it ? or too early ? I have never been to Moab, so, I need some recommendations... I would also need easier trails for a stock Rubicon JT... My girlfriend really cringes when the JT scraps, so, I do not want to freak her out. lol..
I might recommend you stay in Green River then.. and run this area instead of Moab:

38°46'35.9"N 109°51'14.7"W

I could spend a week in Green River exploring the Book Cliffs and the area North of Moab..

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I might recommend you stay in Green River then.. and run this area instead of Moab:

38°46'35.9"N 109°51'14.7"W

I could spend a week in Green River exploring the Book Cliffs and the area North of Moab..
Ok, thanks ! Looks like it is just East of the 191 before the 70... Looks like a great tip !

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Ok, thanks ! Looks like it is just East of the 191 before the 70... Looks like a great tip !
It's actually west of 191. There are some easy trails in that area...and some not so easy. Spring Canyon Point is an easy drive and the Bartlett/Tusher area is very scenic. Those coordinates are on the Dubinky road just off the Blue Hills road which leaves 191 south of the airport. That area is actually a lot closer to Moab than Green River. You need to pick up the Fun Treks guidebook for Moab trails. It's pretty much the bible for this area. If you can't get it in time online, you will find it for sale all over Moab.

I've lived in Moab (actually a few miles outside of town) for over 46 years and have had Jeeps for the last 38 years. I've done almost every trail at one time or another. My 2 favorite trails are still 2 of the easiest around...Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners and the Shafer Trail. If you scrape anything on either trail, you are doing something terribly wrong. Those 2 trails probably offer the best introduction to Moab's scenery. Since the Shafer Trail goes through a small portion of Canyonlands National Park, it may not be possible to do the loop since the parks are still closed as of today. Check with the Park Service if you want to do that one.

The 2 most popular trails are Hell's Revenge and Fins & Things. They are the local "amusement park" rides. Personally, I've never thought much of either of them. I'd rather ride the Slickrock Bike Trail that criss-crosses Hell's Revenge.

Lodging is opening back up...on a very limited basis. Please don't be one of those tourists who refuses to wear a mask if you visit local stores. I saw too many of those yesterday. So far, Grand County has had only 4 Covid-19 cases.

Last edited:

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
It's actually west of 191. There are some easy trails in that area...and some not so easy. Spring Canyon Point is an easy drive and the Bartlett/Tusher area is very scenic. Those coordinates are on the Dubinky road just off the Blue Hills road which leaves 191 south of the airport. That area is actually a lot closer to Moab than Green River. You need to pick up the Fun Treks guidebook for Moab trails. It's pretty much the bible for this area. If you can't get it in time online, you will find it for sale all over Moab.

I've lived in Moab (actually a few miles outside of town) for over 46 years and have had Jeeps for the last 38 years. I've done almost every trail at one time or another. My 2 favorite trails are still 2 of the easiest around...Hurrah Pass/Chicken Corners and the Shafer Trail. If you scrape anything on either trail, you are doing something terribly wrong. Those 2 trails probably offer the best introduction to Moab's scenery. Since the Shafer Trail goes through a small portion of Canyonlands National Park, it may not be possible to do the loop since the parks are still closed as of today. Check with the Park Service if you want to do that one.

The 2 most popular trails are Hell's Revenge and Fins & Things. They are the local "amusement park" rides. Personally, I've never thought much of either of them. I'd rather ride the Slickrock Bike Trail that criss-crosses Hell's Revenge.

Lodging is opening back up...on a very limited basis. Please don't be one of those tourists who refuses to wear a mask if you visit local stores. I saw too many of those yesterday. So far, Grand County has had only 4 Covid-19 cases.
My favs in the area between Green River & Moab are:

1. the Pickle
  2. Bartlett Wash (Hidden Canyon)
  3. Book Cliffs above Thompson Springs
  4. Tusher Canyon (Pictographs/panels/indian art)
  5. M&M (Monitor & Merrimac)
  6. 3D Jeep Trail (accessed via Bartlett Wash area)
  7. the Orange Trail into White Wash Sands and 10 Mile Wash

Sponsored

Jeeping Schnauzers

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiater
Occupation
Self Employed
why not wait and Plan a Big Event Next May or June give everyone time to get off work and book hotels plus another winter of The Virus we should all be pro's by Then

Swayze

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
The wife and I are considering heading out to telluride area / Moab, maybe the week of June 8. Looks like things are opening up around May 29th. I have a mostly stock overland so just thinking the easier / scenic trails and watching others do the crazy obstacles. Anyone decided whether they are going to try and head out?

jadmt

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I've run most of the technical trails in Moab in my JT. Note that I have a 2" lift on 37's and I still scraped the rear end on some of the more steep drop-offs. For those asking if they need lockers or massive upgrades: NO.. just take your time and use prudent throttle control! :)

As of 1 May, Moab is partially open.
What trails did you run in Moab? When I think of technical moab trails I think Pritchett Canyon, Golden Spike, Behind the rocks, rose Garden etc. Thanks.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I would be up for a June trip. I have a travel trailer to stay in, I assume you can dry camp most anywhere up there?

Sponsored

jadmt

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I would be up for a June trip. I have a travel trailer to stay in, I assume you can dry camp most anywhere up there?
Not really but there are a lot of camp grounds. Archview campground is nice with hook ups and if you like dry docking Sandflats (think fins and things hells revenge) has a lot of nice sites.

Alaska-HWY JK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Rubicon LJ 2007 JKU 2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Jeep Gladiator Moab Run for JT only - Who's Down? 145D3F81-0753-487E-9A21-8952BD011582

I remember doing Pritchett Canyon in my 4 door JK on 37’s.
That long ass end on JT would take a beating.
I imagine the trail is way more beat up now also.
I’d love to try it though.

Last edited:

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Ok, either way I'm in for a trip.

Moabite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Camping of any kind is allowed only in designated sites. But at this time, there is still NO backcountry camping allowed in Grand County, even in designated sites. The current health dept. order is set to expire Friday. There has been no real hint about any changes that will be in the revised order. The only place you can currently camp is in commercial campgrounds.