Sponsored

mojito, punkin, or a raptor

ldstruckn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
overlanding xterra pro4-x, BMW X1, 6 previous wranglers and cj's
I am currently waiting to test drive the new ecodiesel. I have been waiting on the diesel wrangler for years and was set on a mojito JLUR diesel. My main issue is that during my exhaustive waiting for the diesel I got into overlanding and really enjoy camping anywhere that I can open my door(I live in colorado so RTT offers amazing camping choices). I also have some serious combat injuries that are taking a toll on me so now I am looking into the gladiator and raptor due to ride characteristics.
Which is a more rare color; Punkin or Mojito?
Sponsored

DamonC64

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Rubicon
Punkin is available now, Mojito isn't. Maybe next model year but that information hasn't been released yet.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
I am currently waiting to test drive the new ecodiesel. I have been waiting on the diesel wrangler for years and was set on a mojito JLUR diesel. My main issue is that during my exhaustive waiting for the diesel I got into overlanding and really enjoy camping anywhere that I can open my door(I live in colorado so RTT offers amazing camping choices). I also have some serious combat injuries that are taking a toll on me so now I am looking into the gladiator and raptor due to ride characteristics.
Which is a more rare color; Punkin or Mojito?
There is a thread here, and it lists the most common colors that people have the last time i looked Gobi was the least common color although it is, also one of the newest.

JC

Sponsored

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
There is no comparison between a Raptor and a Gladiator in terms of ride quality or most other characteristics or capabilities. They are both “pickup trucks” and that’s where the similarities end

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
There is no comparison between a Raptor and a Gladiator in terms of ride quality or most other characteristics or capabilities. They are both “pickup trucks” and that’s where the similarities end
I haven’t had a Raptor, but if I wasn’t buying a Gladiator, and I wanted an off road truck, the Raptor would be my first choice. Why do you say they are not similar? I would think other than the horsepower advantage of the Raptor that they would be similar without the convertible features of the Gladiator.

Curious

JC

spenchey

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
spencer heywood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
every gladiator you could want
Thats a hard choice, i'd love mojito, but even if you decide on a raptor, get ahold of me. We'll be well below msrp even on an order out :like:

*EDIT: Under mrsp on the raptor to be clear, I think everyone knows our JT/JL deal here

Last edited:

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t had a Raptor, but if I wasn’t buying a Gladiator, and I wanted an off road truck, the Raptor would be my first choice. Why do you say they are not similar? I would think other than the horsepower advantage of the Raptor that they would be similar without the convertible features of the Gladiator.

Curious

JC

I have both and I honestly font know how to answer your question. There literally is no comparison between a Raptor and a Gladiator except for 4 wheels, 4 doors and a steering wheel

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
I also have a Gladiator and a Raptor. For city driving i much prefer the Gladiator the Raptor is a big wide truck and i park it as far away from anyone else that i can as it takes up a whole parking space. For Hwy. the Raptor is smooth and comfortable to the point of luxury.

Off road both very capable but very different both have their + and -`s it mostly depends on where you go and what you do.

I sold the Raptor a few weeks ago not because the Gladiator was better it`s just that i drove the Gladiator more and the Raptor sat 90% of the time it needed more love than i was giving it.

Both are great and you should be happy with either.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I have been on here since day one and was die-hard going to get the Gladiator to replace my 2013 JKU Rubicon, however like you I was waiting for the diesel as the V6 just wasn't doing it for me anymore. Mix in the fact (like you) I'm into Overlanding and not rock crawling and that there are some amazing discounts on 2019 Raptors right now I ended up buying a New Raptor with 802A package.

My reasons are as follows:

1) This is my daily driver and only vehicle besides my wife's BMW so I wanted something comfortable
2) For Overlanding I'm doing frequent 3+ hour drives before I even get off the road and into the dirt, the Jeep just can't compare on the HWY to the Raptor in any way. The Raptor has more power to keep it at HWY speeds easier and handles much better. It also feels more planted and isn't affected by crosswinds like my JKU was.
3) The larger bed makes a better platform for overlanding gear.
4) The 2019+ have the live vale Fox Shocks which are amazing they do something like 250 adjustments per sec on the valving. These with an aftermarket set of Deavers for the rear (based on your gear weight) are all you need for Overlanding.
5) Power. The Raptor can get out of its own way whenever it's needed. I can't say the same for the V6 Wrangler/Gladiator

Cons:

1) Shes a wide. It took me about 2 weeks to get use to parking it and still park further away just to make life easier
2) No removable roof - but for me thats not a big deal, but it might be for you. I have the Pano sun/moonroof which is good enough to me
4) Width on trails. If you're hitting a lot of tight trails the Raptor might not fit on some of them.

In the end, I'm very happy with the switch, but it's all dependent on what's important to you. I love the Gladiator but for the type of Overlanding I'm doing its wasn't a great fit.

OP
OP

ldstruckn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thanks for all the input.. I am still on the fence. Payload and towing are about the same. jeep is easier to deal with in the city but raptor is easier to deal with on the highway. about to get disabled veteran handicap parking tags so maybe the issue of parking the raptor will become moot.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for all the input.. I am still on the fence. Payload and towing are about the same. jeep is easier to deal with in the city but raptor is easier to deal with on the highway. about to get disabled veteran handicap parking tags so maybe the issue of parking the raptor will become moot.

Have you test-driven both?

OP
OP

ldstruckn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have only driven the raptor so far because the diesel is not available yet.

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.