Sponsored

Mopar Bilstein Lift problems! Leaking shock #68605886AA-001 not available?Mopar Parts Giant told me to eat it no RMA

Patsarge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
We received our Bilstein 2inch Lift crate on 12/13/23 and opened it last night to prep for installing it on or 23 JT Rubi. 4.88 gears installed last week, AEV Rims and new Toyo 315s, tazer and Zeon 10S winch.
Started inventory of parts, springs ok, shock boxes soaked with oil. One box more soaked than the other and pulled the rear shock which had more oil on the box and the shock at the line to the reservoir was wet and leaking. Damn. Looked up the number of the shock, Bilstein does not list it and all the jeep parts dealers say it is not available. I have no idea of how long its going to take for this to be solved. Do I call or write Mopar Parts Giant who I ordered it through or the dealership they had drop ship the crate or do I call Jeep Mopar. Im damn sure needing this 400 dollar shock very soon and it does not seem to be even available yet. I ordered teraflex 2 inch extensions so I can get to install the kit with my stock rubi rears till this is solved but so far it doesnt look like an easy road. Every item we have purchased in the last few months has been defective and had to be replaced more than once. This looks like a repeat and Im unsure of what hoops to jump through if the single part Shock# 68605886AA-001 can be replaced at this point. I am 30 and 65 miles from the nearest dealership. Even the crate had oil on the inside so Im not installing a defective shock as it has lost a lot of oil. If I have to ship the shock back I can see it costing $50 or more dollars.

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Bilstein Lift problems! Leaking shock #68605886AA-001 not available?Mopar Parts Giant told me to eat it no RMA IMG_3673

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Bilstein Lift problems! Leaking shock #68605886AA-001 not available?Mopar Parts Giant told me to eat it no RMA IMG_3672

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Bilstein Lift problems! Leaking shock #68605886AA-001 not available?Mopar Parts Giant told me to eat it no RMA IMG_3670

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Bilstein Lift problems! Leaking shock #68605886AA-001 not available?Mopar Parts Giant told me to eat it no RMA IMG_3655

Jeep Gladiator Mopar Bilstein Lift problems! Leaking shock #68605886AA-001 not available?Mopar Parts Giant told me to eat it no RMA IMG_3666
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Do I call or write Mopar Parts Giant who I ordered it through or the dealership they had drop ship the crate or do I call Jeep Mopar.
You should probably deal directly first with who you ordered from and treat the whole kit as one return rather than see if they can piece a part.

For all intents, the dealership that dropped shipped it does not really have you as their customer, they sent it on behalf of Mopar Parts Giant and that is the dealerships customer, not you.

I would start with Mopar Parts Giant and follow whatever their lead is. They may just be the retail arm of the dealership that shipped it so you may be talking to one in the same.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Sometimes shocks lose fluid and they are still fine. I had a Rancho RS5000X that leaked a good bit at first, then stopped. It continued to perform well. I've got a Bilstein 5100 on my JK that has leaked a bunch, too, but performs perfectly. I was told by an AEV rep that they would replace it, but that sometimes they can leak off excess fluid. I'm no engineer, so I don't know how that works, but I do know if the shock is performing, or not, and it absolutely is. It handled a hard trip to Moab last month with no issues.

ALT2870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Freedom
FYI shocks are pretty much not available currently, my dealer said they couldn't even get the lift kit. I'm waiting on a front shock and they have no idea when it will be available, they said there's a potential Jeep is switching manufacturers so who knows.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I'd be pissed

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI shocks are pretty much not available currently, my dealer said they couldn't even get the lift kit. I'm waiting on a front shock and they have no idea when it will be available, they said there's a potential Jeep is switching manufacturers so who knows.
Maybe you can go straight to Bilstein?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is also helping me with my lift decision....Leaning me more toward the AEV 2.5 Dualsport with their version of the Bilstein 5100. That shock shouldn't be so hard to find if there's an issue.

I hope you get your situation resolved. You might try Jeep customer care or even @JeepCares here on the forum. Maybe they can help you get the replacement expedited. They've helped me with stuff before, for sure.

ALT2870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not a Bilstein, just a standard shock (perhaps a special one since it's a Freedom Max Tow but I believe they are all the same).

Escape.idiocracy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jt
Occupation
Hitchhiker
It's not a Bilstein, just a standard shock (perhaps a special one since it's a Freedom Max Tow but I believe they are all the same).
🤔. It’s a Bilstein shock… from a Mopar lift kit that uses the new Bilstein shocks instead of Fox.

Op- just asking, have not put any research into this… are they rebuildable??? If so, might be worth having them rebuilt…. (Or use this as an excuse to pick up a nitrogen kit and rebuild yourself! - going to need to get rebuilt eventually anyways)- trying to float a positive side here…. I’m sure it’s still irritating.

OP
OP
Patsarge

Patsarge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Bilstein has no listing on it.
You should probably deal directly first with who you ordered from and treat the whole kit as one return rather than see if they can piece a part.

For all intents, the dealership that dropped shipped it does not really have you as their customer, they sent it on behalf of Mopar Parts Giant and that is the dealerships customer, not you.

I would start with Mopar Parts Giant and follow whatever their lead is. They may just be the retail arm of the dealership that shipped it so you may be talking to one in the same.
dealership is back east and the parts dealer
Is in Arizona. Contacted Mopar Parts Giant and am awaiting an answer.
Sometimes shocks lose fluid and they are still fine. I had a Rancho RS5000X that leaked a good bit at first, then stopped. It continued to perform well. I've got a Bilstein 5100 on my JK that has leaked a bunch, too, but performs perfectly. I was told by an AEV rep that they would replace it, but that sometimes they can leak off excess fluid. I'm no engineer, so I don't know how that works, but I do know if the shock is performing, or not, and it absolutely is. It handled a hard trip to Moab last month with no issues.
this is leaking from hose connection at shock from the external reservoir.

Sponsored

ALT2870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
🤔. It’s a Bilstein shock… from a Mopar lift kit that uses the new Bilstein shocks instead of Fox.
I was responding to the OP in regards that I was waiting for a standard shock that the dealership can't get so his case may be the same. The OP thought I had a Bilstein shock so I was just correcting.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bilstein has no listing on it.

dealership is back east and the parts dealer
Is in Arizona. Contacted Mopar Parts Giant and am awaiting an answer.

this is leaking from hose connection at shock from the external reservoir.
Could it be a Tennico shock? (Maker of Monroe, Rancho, and major OEM supplier)

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Could it be a Tennico shock? (Maker of Monroe, Rancho, and major OEM supplier)
Bilstein does not fall under the Tenneco umbrella of brands.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bilstein does not fall under the Tenneco umbrella of brands.
I know that. I was reacting to him saying it wasn't a Bilstein shock. I see now he was saying they just didn't have a part number.
Sponsored